Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber Optic how to go about...

Options
  • 28-01-2006 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I am currently doing Networking and Software systems and will have a Degree in Networking and Software systems and hoping to go on to do a masters. Anyway Fiber optics is apart of networking i really want to get into...Repairing Fiber optic cables etc in which you need to be a expert in.. Just wondering how would i go about doin this?Its either that or a Network admin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I don't think there's any magic to fibre optic cables - I work with them every day. You can't really repair them. If one goes you dump it and replace it. They are just the medium independent of the protocol - could be tcp/ip, scsi or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Didnt actually mean broken i ment spilting it...
    squibs wrote:
    I don't think there's any magic to fibre optic cables - I work with them every day. You can't really repair them. If one goes you dump it and replace it. They are just the medium independent of the protocol - could be tcp/ip, scsi or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think you meant "splicing" them. Look for a course on "optical communications" or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Splicing a fibre optic cable is a bit of a doddle these days, its all pretty much automated. Faultfinding etc (looking for cable breakusing OTDR equipment) is interesting, but not something you will need a masters degree to do. Network planning etc might be the way to go imho. I used to do a bit of work on fibre about ten years ago in the UK (And I do mean a bit, I'm no expert on fibre but have a fairly good idea) for a telecomms co over there. They used to have thier own fibre group who would look after all the fibre along British rail tracks etc. It was interesting and all that, but not all that different from working with copper etc when it comes down to it. Submarine and transatlantic fibre optic might be a bit more challenging though (how long can you hold your breadth!!)
    Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Stephen wrote:
    I think you meant "splicing" them. Look for a course on "optical communications" or something along those lines.

When it comes to fibre, you need to bear in mind the differences between singlemode and multimode fibre. Multimode is used for most data centres / ip configurations and is much easier to work with (read more margin for error!). Single mode is used more for carrier class applications, telcos, and long haul.

One of the more recognised qualifications is the City & Guilds 3466 Series, there are Singlemode, multimode and copper variants of this if I remember correctly.

However field experience & a good tidy working practice is far more important when it comes splicing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement