Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Restaurant in Dublin

Options
  • 28-01-2006 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I have to go out with the family tonight for a meal for my sisters birthday. I don't mind that too much but I do mind having to go to Joels on the Naas road. I can't stand that place. The main courses cost about €12, which isnt' too expensive, but its very poor. Have you ever been and what did you think about it? Also what other restaurants should be avoided?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I cant believe you have to go there. That place is unbelievable. Its hard to beat anywhere worse than Joels for a dinner or even to be in for any period of time..

Good Luck Chump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Tell me about it. Its my sister, she'll only eat crap like burgers and chicken maryland.....average run of the mill rubbish. When I go out to eat I want to try different things. Some people eh!

This is probably what will happen:

- Get there and have to sit at the bar area and sit on poxy stools surrounded by kids and scummy looking people for an hour.

- Get table right in the middle of this restaurant that looks like a community centre with tables.

- Order overpriced starter and main and spend the rest of the night moaning about the place.

- Cake comes out....sparklers......Happy Brithday blah blah.....candles out.....take cake back into kitchen.

- Argue with my sister. Go into town for a night out with friends and text an apology to my sister for being an ass.

Can't wait. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Eh....McDonalds in Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I can't stand 101 on Talbot Street and Tante Zoes.

Level of rudeness the staff in those places manage to reach is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

never been to the 101, i heard good things, tried to go twice, but was closed both times, funny openig hours, closed monday i think.......... maybe a lucky escape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The Angler's Rest in Strawberry beds.

Used to be one of the best places around for seafood but now it's an awful place. Food is just brutal and the service was unbelieveably baaaaad.

When we made a complaint the waitress went to get the manager who we could see behind the bar.
    He looked over at us as she was talking and then started arguing with her!!!!
    He kept glancing over but after 5 minutes, we just walked out.
    I think he was just waiting for us to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've had fantastic service and even better food in both those establishments.

Maybe not the worst restaurant but i've had a couple of very poor meals in Roly's Bistro....everything from poor service to poor food (considering it's reputation and its cost)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Noble House on Dame St.

Fooking disastrous kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

RuggieBear is right, Roly's is terrible, the worst example of Old Ireland you could ask for. The Roly's at the Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire is much better though

RuggieBear wrote:
    i've had fantastic service and even better food in both those establishments.
    Well I've been to 101 twice and the service they were incredibly rude both times.

And I've also been to Tante Zoes twice. First time the service was good, but I got food pisioning. The second time I got in a huge argument with the manager who was a total bitch... she was serving us herself and was really terrible at it. Then when the bill came she had stuff on it that we hadn't ordered, and stuff we had ordered which had never arrived. She absolutely refused that accept that she had made a mistake. She accepted the correct amount in the end but still didn't accept that she was in the wrong. She was unbelivebly rude and kept walking away from me when I was talking to her.

I had meant to try and find out who the owners of the place were to let them know what a terrible manger she was... but never got around to it.

I'm really not a very argumentative person, and I don't mind if staff make mistakes. Just don't like it when they are rude and unpleasent about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Well I've been to 101 twice and the service they were incredibly rude both times.

And I've also been to Tante Zoes twice. First time the service was good, but I got food pisioning. The second time I got in a huge argument with the manager who was a total bitch... she was serving us herself and was really terrible at it. Then when the bill came she had stuff on it that we hadn't ordered, and stuff we had ordered which had never arrived. She absolutely refused that accept that she had made a mistake. She accepted the correct amount in the end but still didn't accept that she was in the wrong. She was unbelivebly rude and kept walking away from me when I was talking to her.

I had meant to try and find out who the owners of the place were to let them know what a terrible manger she was... but never got around to it.

I'm really not a very argumentative person, and I don't mind if staff make mistakes. Just don't like it when they are rude and unpleasent about it.

man that sucks. perhaps i just got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

welcome to celtic tiger ireland :D

allthose places were great restaurants, about 10yrs ago.

i used to LOVE joells, then the original owner rebuilt it into an americanised monstronsity and finally flogged it to some chef who couldnt even cook. had a christmas do in tante zoes too and it was great, one of the best ever. but ive been hearing critizims too.
    i swear to god considering the cost and the service why does anyone actually eat out.
    its a terrible thing to say but the best feed i get now eating out is ONEILLS on suffock street, its a BAD state of affairs when a PUB is doing the best grub:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

The Roly's at the Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire is lovely, i ate there a while ago, i'd happily go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

dont know if you would consider it a "restaurant", but pizza hut near grafton street is absolute muck.
    bad food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The Roly's at the Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire is lovely, i ate there a while ago, i'd happily go back.
    I agree, it's very nice. The food is great and service matches. The only thing is that it is quite pricey but you do get value there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I hate the following eating places in no particular order:
    Fagan's drumcondra..rude,surly staff.
    Dollymount House..idiotic staff sky high prices bad food.
    Beaunont house...overpriced undersized portions of bad food.
    Frere Jaques..the staff have turned rudeness into an art form,the food will leave you hungry and finacially crippled.
    Trocadero..over-hyped,nothing special.
    Taverna...A complete rip off
    Mao..worthy of a mention if only because they named the place after one of the biggest mass murderers in history..staggeringly stupid.

Degsy wrote:
    Mao..worthy of a mention if only because they named the place after one of the biggest mass murderers in history..staggeringly stupid.
    The food is pretty nice though..

Ha... did you know the cocktails are Mao themed as well?

The have Maogaritas and Maotinis.

No Slow Comfortable Mao Against The Wall though or Sex with Mao on the Beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Bay in Clontarf.

Sh1t food, sh1t staff and overpriced big time. Sat there one day with two other people waiting for over an hour for mains to be delivered. Wasn't even full. No apology, nothing.

An absolute sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Grimes wrote:
    I cant believe you have to go there. That place is unbelievable. Its hard to beat anywhere worse than Joels for a dinner or even to be in for any period of time..

Good Luck Chump

yeh i hate the place, food is crap and always loud aswell
    my family love it too, but i cant stand going there

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

What about that new Bistro 66 place on Georges St? I've been there twice now and I ain't going back. The first time I went there we waited for half an hour only to get glorified pub grub and an ice cold peach crumble. I was since told that the chicken was amazing, so I went again last night to get very slimey chicken with mashed potato and pretty tasteless gravy. I mean aren't these chefs supposed to have some sort of talent when it come to cooking? I think they spent more money on the interior designer then they did on the cooks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

sapper wrote:
    What about that new Bistro 66 place on Georges St? I've been there twice now and I ain't going back.

Yeah i was there on tuesday the place was terrible. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Yeah i was there on tuesday the place was terrible. :eek:
    Aw stop I get a headache just thinking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

Aw stop I get a headache just thinking about it

I should have gone to the bar instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

The FX Buckleys in Temple Bar has been one of my worst experiences ever at dining out. The meat was so-so, portions were tiny and overpriced and 2 bottles of water cost 8 euro. Staff were fine, although i got the distinct feeling they were trying to rush us out the door to try fit another couple in.

Mario's in Ranelagh gets the thumbs up for everything. Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

RuggieBear wrote:
    man that sucks. perhaps i just got lucky
    (re: Tante Zoes)

I've only been there once - I found it by accident a week or so ago, and I absolutely loved the place!
    The atmosphere, staff, and food was second to none. 2 course meal with 2 bottles of wine weighed in at 105e so it was really only the price of the wine that I could fault them on.

I'd recommend it to everyone I know at the drop of a hat tbh - pity about the other poster's bad experiences :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

sapper wrote:
    What about that new Bistro 66 place on Georges St? I've been there twice now and I ain't going back.
    That's Brasserie 66 I think - and I agree. Why the place is always packed I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I went to Brasserie 66 recently and thought it was great. The calamari was the best I've tasted outside of Greece. In most places it's cooked to the consistency of a michelin tyre. And the Swordfish was prime fillet cooked to perfection. I may have just got lucky with the dishes I chose. The people who had the steak didn't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭i am a lady

Ballyman wrote:
    Bay in Clontarf.

Sh1t food, sh1t staff and overpriced big time. Sat there one day with two other people waiting for over an hour for mains to be delivered. Wasn't even full. No apology, nothing.

An absolute sh1thole.

You are so right. I had erased this place from memory but now that you mention it, I had to ask 3 times for the bill one day, and finally got it after over an hour! No apology. I always regretted not just walking out...damn sure they'd have remembered my bill quick enough then, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭gavquinn

Service in Ciao Bella Roma is pretty woeful. Brought cold mains, fat old waitress rude, stupid and lazy. €10 special is well thought however, and food is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

gavquinn, kindly stop digging up threads that haven't been posted on for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement