Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial Up connection issue

Options
  • 28-01-2006 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I had a call from an acquaintance today who's dial-up internet had stopped working. They had been playing around with a printer/scanner trying to send a fax and then found they couldn't connect to the net anymore.

They are using eircom pay-as-you-go on 1890 150150. I'm told the user and password are unimportant here - is that right? Anyway, the modem dials and does all the handshaking, screeching away happily, until it gets to the stage "verify user name and password" . Then some time passes and the connection fails. I set up the fax application in windows and sent a fax successfully from the machine which tells me the modem and phone cable are okay.

I came home and connected to the eircom number on my own machine without a problem. So there's nothing wrong on the eircom end. Can anyone suggest what she might have done with the printer/scanner that might have upset things?

Incidentally when trying to set up fax on the printer (a lexmark), we needed to select a modem. It could not communicate withe the computer's modem saying it might be in use by another application. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Bumpity

Has anybody ever heard of a printer/scanner (specifically a lexmark x75) messing up an internet connection?

Advertisement