Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to tell....she is due

Options
  • 28-01-2006 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all,

My wife is about 6/7 weeks pregnant we are both over the moon, we had a miscarrige just before christmas, only had known she was pregnant a few days, we know this time about 2 weeks and are over the moon, unlike last time it has be confirmed by the doctor,

Only thing is now, we are so happy because we have been trying 1 1/2 years, we have told immediate family and a couple of close friends but we both wanna just tell everyone, our grand parents uncles aunts etc, just because we are so excited :D:D

But there is this unwritten rule of wait til end of first trimester etc. Should we wait? we were thinking because after the miscarrige etc, because nobody knew, not even us we had no support when we did get the bad news.

Hopefully please god, all will go well this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi all,

My wife is about 6/7 weeks pregnant we are both over the moon, we had a miscarrige just before christmas, only had known she was pregnant a few days, we know this time about 2 weeks and are over the moon, unlike last time it has be confirmed by the doctor,

Only thing is now, we are so happy because we have been trying 1 1/2 years, we have told immediate family and a couple of close friends but we both wanna just tell everyone, our grand parents uncles aunts etc, just because we are so excited :D:D

But there is this unwritten rule of wait til end of first trimester etc. Should we wait? we were thinking because after the miscarrige etc, because nobody knew, not even us we had no support when we did get the bad news.

Hopefully please god, all will go well this time.

Hi
    I bet they all know now you know what people are like anyway best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

Well, congratulations first of all.

I have to admit I don't have any experience in becoming a father so far, but from a personal point of view I'd say you shouldn't care too much about unwritten laws or stuff; So if you are happy about it - which you seem to be obviously - and feel comfortable with publishing the news, why shouldn't you let everyone partake in your excitement?
    However, I do understand your concerns in regards to the miscarriage, but I think there will always be possible risks in life no matter what, but they shouldn't keep you from enjoying it after all and focussing on the luck that you are currently experiencing.

All the best for your future family!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congratulations, everything crossed etc. :D:D:D

Tell whoever you want. We told everyone once we found out. Personally I don't agree with waiting the 3 months in case of miscarriage. I'd like to think that my friends and family were there to support us if God forbid we lost the baby.

You can be sure the news is doing the rounds at this stage. Anyway a lot of people have suspected other people of being pregnant well before the 12 week stage. Some people are very good at recognising some of the signs and are only waiting to have it confirmed. When I was pregnant it was obvious by week 7 as I was so tired, felt sick as a dog but couldn't get sick, couldn't bear the smell of tea or coffee to name just a few symptoms.

Best of luck to both of you. Enjoy the rollercoaster because that's what life is like once you become a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I would tell the people who are close to you whenever you feel ready......this varies from person to person.
    Congrats by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hearty Congratulations! :D

I'm gonna throw in the word of caution. My wife and I publicised our pregnancy at around 10 weeks last year, then suffered a miscarriage. The biggest pain in the hole about the whole thing was having to deal with everybody when we just wanted to hide away.

I'd suggest waiting for your scan date before going public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But there is this unwritten rule of wait til end of first trimester etc. Should we wait?.

Hi hopeful dad
    I remember your thread in PI
    I'm thrilled for you! :D

now
    considering what happened last time, I would strongly suggest you wait at least 12 weeks before saying a word to anyone - I know that's difficult to do as I can see you are totally over the moon, but it would be wise to keep the secret between yourselves for the moment. The risk of a miscarriage drops dramatically after the first 3 months
    I wish you both all the best, and Congrats!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Congrats.That's brilliant. All the best.

The only surefire way to predict a delivery date is to check a sporting fixtures calendar for the approximate date. The baby will be delivered bang on the time and date of the one you most want to see.:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hagar wrote:
    The baby will be delivered bang on the time and date of the one you most want to see.:D

the voice of experience? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Hmmm!
    We also had that experience.
    One of the nurses got us a radio :-)

Next time was on an old friend's wedding day!

Tell when you're ready, and you can assume that about a third
    of the people you're telling are only pretending not to know!
    Congratulations.
    Hope everything goes brilliantly for you.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

Hi hopeful dad,

My wife is 6 weeks pregnant too with our first (been trying for over a year), we're over the moon with the news and would love to tell everyone but we've decided to hold back.

We want to wait until the scan is done to make sure all is okay before going public because, although we are optimistic and positive about the pregnancy, our fear is if something went wrong before 12 weeks then you have to deal with everyone during what I would imagine is a very tough time.

Although in saying that, I think people will be figuring it out quite soon as my wife is suffering from nausea and works with a load of girls so it wont take them long to figure out why she keeps hopping out of her chair and running to the toilet!

Fingers crossed until the end of September...

Good luck

AgainTheTime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hagar wrote:
    The only surefire way to predict a delivery date is to check a sporting fixtures calendar for the approximate date. The baby will be delivered bang on the time and date of the one you most want to see
    Lol, that's so true... I was born on the day of the semi-final of the 1984 European Championships, and pretty much every major event of my childhood coincided with some major football match... enough to have my football-loving father pulling his hair out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hopeful dad

Excitement was too much, everyone was told this week, we couldnt keep it in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hopeful dad

Lol, that's so true... I was born on the day of the semi-final of the 1984 European Championships, and pretty much every major event of my childhood coincided with some major football match... enough to have my football-loving father pulling his hair out!

Her due date was the all-ireland final day but the all-ireland has been moved to accomodate the ryder cup, so the ryder cup will be on instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey hopeful dad!

We told the prospective grandparents and aunties & uncles and asked them not to say anything to anyone until we were past the 12wk mark....that way we had people to share the happiness - and any worries or bad news - with but we didn't tell anyone else, or give the all clear to spread the word to the people we had told, until after the 12wk ante-natal check......It's really whatever suits you tho - I know people who told everyone straight away and others who waited until it could no longer be denied! Best of luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, I told close people such as my own and my bf's parents and our siblings straight away. I think they would have noticed my odd behaviour anyway! My bf also started telling his friends straight away but I waited until 12 weeks and even then, there are many friends I haven't told yet because it's something I'd rather do face to face than on the phone.

It's really an individual thing, I guess.

Advertisement