Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results----what a joke!! blame? ADMIN!

• 28-01-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

So, i did my 1st year arts exams before xmas, and still no bloody results! :mad:

why? :confused:

i think alot of ucds problems stem from the fact that their seems to be a central "administration" who plans things and arranges things for all of the other facultys (lectures, tutorials etc).

for example, in one of my philosophy tutorials their was 34 of us, when their was only supposed to be 12. our tutor told us we should complain to admin, and not the department!

now i wonder if the different departments (lecturesr, tutors etc) hate admin cos of its red tape bullsh#t or if they actually tolerate it cos any problems can be blamed on these invisible people sitting at a computer sumwhere on the ucd campus, busy making life difficult for the entire student body

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Timetabling is an admin problem.
    The computer system basically did not work for tutorails this year, resulting in many a cock up. There was nothing that could have been done about it... except of course holding off on introducing the computer system untill it had been fully tested and guaranteed up to stratch. Registering for tutorials manually probably needs more man power, and doesn't look good in 'the information age', but it works.

As for exams... probably a combination of both. I know it's hard, but sapre a thought for the staff caught in this new system. This is the first time ucd arts have had 1st year christmas exams, it's usually all hands on deck to correct the summer exams, and they still take quite a while. At this time of year, well first of all i'm sure no one wanted to start correcting over x-mas and the new year, and then they're back lecturing, teaching and doing whatever it is they normally do in january, only there are also hundreds of exam scripts to be corrected.

Of course, any idiot could have forseen these kinds of problems (as well as many others, I have it on good authority that a massive amount of first year philosophy students failed, no big suprise, I think it's crazy to expect you to have a firm grip on the subject after a few short months, so all the papers had to be remarked to an easier standard... come to think of it, I wonder if it's that that's causing the delay).
    But it's too much to ask that the administration think things through.

Change is Good.
    2 + 2 = 5
    Brady uber alles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

i still think the college is badly run. i mean, does anyone have a clue whos in the variuos societies ect? iv joined aload of em and sofar iv been at like one soc party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Results should be out sometime next week...... but don't kill me if I'm wrong!

Regarding tutorials, the whole tutorial system this year is nothing but an absolute sham. Having experienced the previous tutorial system I can safely say this current system is a disaster and needs to be rectified immediately (my first tutor this year even said it to me)

ie. change it back to the old, simple and more reliable system of simply putting your name on a sheet/or register for one of say 10 available tutorials where you stick with the same tutor all semester/year at the same time in the same place. A tutorial for each respective module takes place every 4 weeks, so if.....
    - you do the major - go to every tutorial (with the same tutor, room and class for the whole year)
    - if you do a minor or an elective - go to the tutorials which are based on your modules (with same tutor, room, class for the year)
    in this situation the students have more continuity instead of constantly having 4 different tutors per subject, 4 different time slots, 4 different rooms to go to and will have more even numbers in each tutorial.

For my first module this year for every tutorial there was me and one other student (different one each time) It's impossible to learn (or to teach) in such a tiny group with a lack of class interaction. The tutorials I had last year where there was 12 people in them you could interact, do tasks, share ideas and get to know people now it's just a muddled up joke with no continuity.

I know the whole minor/elective situation has changed the tutorial picture but surely a bit of common sense is needed to make the system simple once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

ucd has its problem but is not badly run, the results take time but they will come

its horribly run!

if you have a problem, you have no bloody idea where to go! student advisors, student councillers, student union advisors bla bla bla bla

the departments have no connection with each other, i swear its like havin ten different colleges in the henry newman building never mind taking the other facultys into account (engineering etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yep, I've only been here a while and I can already see that it is so poorly run, there is no communication or foresight, and this modularisation thing? they're making it up as they go along! this is our education and our money you c*nts! plan it out before you introduce it. I think Hugh was just sittin on the jax one morning and had an epiphany, so he goes into work that day, tells the idea -- next day, bam, modularised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

The BA 1st year board was last week so check your SIS from circa this Wednesday onwards, hopefully...

Timescale - exams finished 22/23 December, academics were back in work on 6 January, 2 weeks to correct, input/check marks and then college board and then exam board = end January/beg February= exam results. Posted on SIS.

Little insight may help to understand + it is the first year of modularisation hence errors etc.. Still not as smooth a change as Reg office claim it to be... I concur a lot of errors have been made regarding timetabling and numbers for tutorials and lectures.
    p.

Vic Mackey wrote:
    i still think the college is badly run. i mean, does anyone have a clue whos in the variuos societies ect? iv joined aload of em and sofar iv been at like one soc party

Well, I agree with you that the college has a lot of problems and the strain of introducing modularisation has shown up all the cracks.
    What happened this year with tutorials was a disgrace and
    [shameless plug]
    If elected Education Officer this year, I intend to spend the summer having strong words with whoever's in charge of it and demand an assurance that it won't happen again.
    [/shameless plug]

But, as to societies, they're a different case altogether, they are run by student voluenteers, who in the case of all but the auditors of the largest societies are trying to combine the work with their studies (plus part-time jobs, and a social life). That taken into account, I think that most student societies are run amazingly well and efficiently. check out the what's on guide, and posters on the concourse for what's on... or, since you're doing philosophy I assume you're in the PhilSoc (if not, shame on you) pm me and I'll let you know what we're doing for the next month or so.

yea i did phil last semester, howd ya know that?

i suppose its my fault really for generally not botherin to make an effort

Vic Mackey wrote:
    yea i did phil last semester, howd ya know that?

Because you said this :
    Vic Mackey wrote:
    for example, in one of my philosophy tutorials...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

pretty monster, i do philosophy and intend continuing it into 2nd/3rd year, i never signed up in freshers week to philsoc and couldnt find you on refreshers day! hook me up!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh riiiiiiiiiiiight. that explains it

Advertisement