Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu upgrade

Options
  • 28-01-2006 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

i96325366_64470_2.jpg

This is my current cpu inside my dell. what i'd like to know, if you guys can help me is what kinda processor i can upgrade it to. i know its skt 478 but im not sure about wat fsb it is. can ye help out a poor boy in need of some help:( :D

p.s sorry if this is n the wrong place. didnt know if it should go here or computers. computers seems more software related so thats y i put it here :)

edit: Damn that pic turned out small! ill see if i can fix it

edit: pic fixed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

also if ye have any links to cpu's i can use then i would b most grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

shane, it's the mobo that supports the CPU's not the other way round.....so open your case and paste the Mobo part number here. Then I can tell you what CPU's can be used.

Inqui

i96549308_99026_2.jpg

ANYONE!!!!!! CAN NOBODY HELP ME????? DONT YOU LOVE ME!!!!! ILL DO ANYTHING.... YOU WANT MY PANTS DOWN (unzips pants) HERE LOOK THEY'RE DOWN NOW DO YOUR WORST...... ooohhhh..... that felt kina nice actually...... DO IT AGAIN PLZ JUST ONE MORE TIME! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

ANYONE!!!!!! CAN NOBODY HELP ME????? DONT YOU LOVE ME!!!!! ILL DO ANYTHING.... YOU WANT MY PANTS DOWN (unzips pants) HERE LOOK THEY'RE DOWN NOW DO YOUR WORST...... ooohhhh..... that felt kina nice actually...... DO IT AGAIN PLZ JUST ONE MORE TIME! :p

Its not just help with your computer you need !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Originally Posted by shanethemofo
    ANYONE!!!!!! CAN NOBODY HELP ME????? DONT YOU LOVE ME!!!!! ILL DO ANYTHING.... YOU WANT MY PANTS DOWN (unzips pants) HERE LOOK THEY'RE DOWN NOW DO YOUR WORST...... ooohhhh..... that felt kina nice actually...... DO IT AGAIN PLZ JUST ONE MORE TIME!

how do you honestly think ul get help with a post like the one above? Childish!!! Troll I must say!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Look in your Dell manual, it will tell you what CPU your MB can support. At the moment it looks like your only at 400FSB which is quite slow. New P4s are 800mhz I think. The manual will tell you if your MB supports any higher FSB. I have a similar dell to yours - see sig. It came with a 2Ghz P4 @ 400Mhz but I read in teh manual that it can take chips at 533FSB so I upgraded to a 2.8 and now have my system running at 533Mhz. If your MB cannot support any higher than 400mhz it would seem fairly pointless in upgrading. The manual will also tell you that it's a socket 478 CPU your after so it's gonna be hard enough to find one, nevermind if it's at 400mhz.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

how do you honestly think ul get help with a post like the one above? Childish!!! Troll I must say!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude What You Need Is A Crossover Cable-Tie!l!l! Do Not pM For More Information!l!l!l

Not your ornery onager

ha ha esel! made me laugh!

One. One. One. Exclamation mark.

One, Two, Three, Four. IIII.

!l!l !i!i Glad To See You Are Still Trading.

OP: Pull your trews up.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

galwaydude take a chill pill man

dont post up such stupid posts when you are looking for help and you will get a better response! By the way I dont do chill pills! This is a serious fourm and people here dont mess about with childish posts! Some of the stuff here can / could be life threathing info if you carry it out wrong!

esel wrote:
    One. One. One. Exclamation mark.

One, Two, Three, Four. IIII.

!l!l !i!i Glad To See You Are Still Trading.

OP: Pull your trews up.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks for the support!

Support? 24/7 = 3.42857142857142857142857142857143

OP - listen to Simon.

Not your ornery onager

and you have my support 24/7 as well! Anyhow I think this is gone of the original discussion so i'm going to crawl into my corner before I get banned for off topic discussions! Couldn't help being a bit smart after reading that ridiculus post!

dont post up such stupid posts when you are looking for help and you will get a better response! By the way I dont do chill pills! This is a serious fourm and people here dont mess about with childish posts! Some of the stuff here can / could be life threathing info if you carry it out wrong!

ok when im replacing my cpu and 1 million volts of static electricity go from the turned off computer to my body and kill me i'll tell the reaper you wer askin for him..... if your not gonna help me then please post elsewhere

ok galwaydude this is what u call "random posting". it has no meaning and doesnt affect anyone so plz go away ffs unless u have anything to put towards my upgrading dilema

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah I have to second this, relax galwaydude, he's just having a bit of fun. The Interweb, remember, it's supposed to be a laugh. Real life is for serious. Anywhooo Shane, as has been said, the motherboard is most likely the real limiting factor here. You are better off replacing it with a MOBO that supports 800FSB and then looking for a chip a little later down the line with a 800FSB.

Cheap socket 478 motherboards can be had for as little as €45-50 if you look in the right places. The only thing is that you might be a little limited with what you can use due to the case. Last time I had a look Dell cases were mighty perculiar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Some of the stuff here can / could be life threathing info if you carry it out wrong!

Such as?
    And there's such things as full stop's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

So...... how about this thread gets locked already ?

Shanethemofo asks for help, is told to find out some info on his motherboard, doesn't, then starts posting gibberish. Looks pretty lockable to me.

• Advertisement

trust me its hard to find info bout my mobo..... could someone delete these useless posts by other ppl cough galway dudes posts cough and if you have nothing to say that relates to my problem then plz dont post

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Ok as far as i can see you are looking to upgrade your CPU, form 2GHz on socket 478 on a dell system, TBH imo this is a compleat waste of money, (by the way how much are you willing to spend?) you will go from 2GHz to maybe 3GHz or slightly more but youll still be on the same old core and same old socket so why bother? you will gain feck all! spend an extra few quid and get an upgrade kit maybe like this one http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314943&cks=PRL. I dont even know what online shops stock old 478 chips nowadays.

Advertisement