Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nervousness in front of Crowds

• 28-01-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have continual presentations at work for the next few weeks, and I am so bad in front of a crowd people. I get so nervous, sweaty and generally clam up. Has anybody got idea's for calming the nerves rather than the usual of picturing everyone in the nude.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

PleaseHelp wrote:
    I have continual presentations at work for the next few weeks, and I am so bad in front of a crowd people. I get so nervous, sweaty and generally clam up. Has anybody got idea's for calming the nerves rather than the usual of picturing everyone in the nude.

Please help.

Its a difficult one! I think the only true solution is to do it and then do it over and over again! Eventually you get used to it!

Some say the trick is to focus on one person when your making eye contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

You're nervous because you're anticipating the problem/event. prepare yourself for the presentations, then forget about them. Don't allow yourself to dwell on your worries before it's time. Then when you have to give yours, just start it off, and don't second guess yourself.

Say what you have to say. Answer the questions you're asked to the best of your ability. Then forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

PleaseHelp wrote:

Please help.

Overprepare, so that you only need notes to as reminders (if at all). Then practice in front of friends as much as you can before doing the real delivery. Friends are more forgiving, can give you encouragement and feedback. Practice, practice, practice: "Practice makes perfect."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

PleaseHelp wrote:

Please help.

What i would is try and relax and think that there is know one there then you might feel better good luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Practice will make perfect.

In the meantime, remember that you can be nervous without obviously showing it. As for eye contact, you'll need to "engage" the crowd by making eye contact, but you don't have to make direct eye contact, you can look at their foreheads and they will think you're making eye contact with them.

When giving your presentation, shift your gaze slowly and steadily throughout the room. This will make you look like a better presenter and the slow motion will calm you.

It'll get easier in time, but remember it's normal to have some nerves. In fact, a healthy dose of nerves helps as it perks you up and puts you on the zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My adivce would be to have some funny things to say in your presentation. If you get some laughs it will boost your confidence no end.

I'm a teacher and generally treat a class as if I'm a stand up comic working a crowd and I find it gives me a lot of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

well, my advice to you is prepare before hand, and that doesn't mean reading over a few scribbled lines on a page the night before.

know what you are going to say and how long it will take (use cards if necessary).

then test your speach out by yourself until you are comfortable with it. t

hen do it again in front of people (family, friends).

speak loud, stand straight, maintain eye contact and try refrain from touching yourself too much.... er, face and hair i mean. i can't stress how important all of this is.

if you manage to crack a good one alll the better, but dont feel under pressure to do so. after all, you're not there to bring the house down with you witty observational humour about life; you're there to convay a message, and thats all.

if you are confident that you know what you are supposed to say (and how to articulate it) then you should have no problems when you step up in front of everyone. you will probably still be nervous (only natural), but after few minutes you will find it becomes easier as you get into it.

One word, dude: Prepare

good luck.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

OP, I think since you have to make these presentations, you probably know your stuff, so preparing will only get you so far.

There are really two things you need to do to do a great presentation. First, take some time out to imagine yourself giving the presentations and doing really well - you can do this within the comfort of your own mind, or act it out. Second, and most important, just remember that a presentation is just a conversation. Everyone knows how to talk to people, and that's just what a presentation is, a chat where you do most of the talking. It helps to actually talk to people when you're up there - engage a couple of people, look at them and think that you're just telling them something. That'll draw in your audience and make you feel comfortable. And take your time - there's nothing wrong with pauses. In fact, they're great because it gives the audience time to take in what you're saying.

You don't need any luck. You'll do great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Focus on your responsibilities and not on the fantasies you have about what everyone else is thinking about you.

What are your responsibilites?

To deliver the information. Focus and more focus and you wont even know those other people are there.

Breath. Dont forget.

Go to a yoga class the night before if your nerves are a concern.

Own the space. Bring water to keep your vocals hydrated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

think about it from your audiences perspective - if you were in the audience would you care if someone appeared to be nervous or made a mistake? nobody cares if you make a mistake, they all realise that it can be hard and probably wouldnt have the guts to do it themselves. Enthusiasm is more entertaining then humiliation, and if you make a mistake dont let yourself get bogged down by it,soldier on.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try making the presentation in front of a small group of people (friends / work colleagues) in the same room.

Engage everyone you interact with for the next week with some conversation, cashiers, postman, waiting staff - build up a precedent of talking to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

You have a public speaking phobia, and you can get professional help to over come this.

Go to a good NLP Practitioner... and pay them on a results basis. That should do the trick.

PM me if you'd like a reccomendation.

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

damnit... wrong post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

PleaseHelp wrote:

You should consider the presentation as a power trip. How often in life do you get the attention of everyone in a room? A presentation is just that; something that you should savour. For the duration of the presentation you are THE ONE! Just ride the wave, don't fear it.

(If you go for the picturing the audience in the nude method, picture them sitting on toilets each trying to squeeze out one of those oversize turds that wants to come out sideways).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

PleaseHelp wrote:

Please help.

I know it sounds bizarre but join a drama group!! I was a terribly nervous public speaker & my Dad advised joining an amateur dramatics company for a while......having to learn lines, act & speak confidently in front of strangers (exactly the same skills needed for giving a presentation, really) made me a really confident public speaker.....would reccommend it to anyone! Best of luck :)

Advertisement