Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breast Cancer

• 28-01-2006 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here know anything about breast cancer? I've tried researching it online but I haven't come up with the sort of info I really want.

I'm just gone 18, and a few months ago I found a lump within my right breast, I at first didn't pay much heed to it, as I thought it was just me not knowing enough about my body's compostition, it was quite small and I thought it was part of the breast.

It got slightly larger so I did a bit of research, and discovered that women between the ages of 17 and 30-ish, can get benine lumps, that will grow and then lessen and disappear over a view years. Mine started to get smaller a view weeks ago and I thought great it's going, but it's grown back.

I have wanted to go to the doctor, but I'm actually very scared, even though there is quite a high chance that it is just one of these benine lumps. I made a deal with myself that if it's not gone by July I'll go to the doctor, as I ahave my leaving cert this year and everything is very hectic, and I don't have €60 to spare for the doc!

It's about the size of a table tennis ball, and I've become very self-conscious of it. It's not visible, as I have quite large breasts but I'm afraid of when I'm with a guy and he get's freaked by it or something... I've spoken to a friend about it and she said that she will go to the doctor with me if I want, which is great but I am really scared.

So does anyone know anything about these lumps, because as far as I knew, you could only feel them from under the armpit area, but this is actually in the bottom of my breast, below the nipple.

Any hel[ greatly appreciated. Sorry it's so long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sweet God woman, get thee to a doctor. Benign or malignant, if it's grown that large, then you need to do something about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Go To The Doctors Immediatly! Don't Delay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Go to your doctor immediately. Fortunately most of these lumps are benign, at the very least you will get peace of mind if it's benign and if it's something more sinister at least it will have been picked up early. Several of my sisters have had lumps removed but they were all benign. Some were just masses of tissue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

take time from school/work etc. and go this MONDAY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'd go to Hospital tonight instead of waiting around if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Please go to a doctor asap..especially if it the size of a table tennis ball..better to be safe than sorry..the faster you act the faster you'll know..You dont need that kind of worry on top of having your leaving cert this year!

Have a word with your mother tonight too..i know you may feel a bit embarrsed but she is a woman too and will understand, it will also be good to have her for support and you wont need to fork out the money by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

"table tennis ball"

My cousin found a lump in her chest and got it checked out it was clear and it was removed, she was about 17/18 at the timemaybe slightly older but she's fine now.

It's scary alright but you have to have it checked out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Seriously, get it checked out. Chances are it's harmless, a blocked gland or something, btu if it's not you need to know now. The longer you leave, the more danger you put yourself in. Talk to your parents, I'm sure they won't object to paying for the doctor! Trust me, you don't want to spend the next 6 months worrying about cancer, especially when you're doing your leaving. I've been there and it sucks.

For internet help, check:

http://www.breastcancer.org
    http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk
    http://www.breakthrough.org.uk
    http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

For your own peace of mind go to a doctor, and don't put it off any longer. You will be so glad of the weight off your shoulders, you should be concentrating on your leaving cert. and not worrying about this.

I had a similar situation a few years ago, and after a biopsy it turned out to be nothing. The relief was unbelieveable, because you have built it up so much in your head.

Knowing one way or the other, ignoring it definitely is the worst thing to do. Think about it.. what are you going to gain by doing that? Face up to it, be strong, and best of luck xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Go to a doctor on Monday. Forget about the cost - just tell him/her at the end of the consultation that you don't have the money, but you're going to get it. You need to get this checked immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We all imagine the worst and it preys on us until mentally its much worse than the physical. I put off a root canal for months and risked a lot more damage simply because I was afraid. It was virtually painless.

A slightly cruel cartoon I saw earlier

Doctor (to overweight, middle-aged man): "Which suits you schedule better: 1 hour of exercise per day of 24 hours of being dead?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok frist off I suggest that you read up on doing a self breast check,
    you should to to the dr as well but every woman should know how to do a self check and know what bumps lumps and glands are normal.

http://www.universityobgyn.com/self.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-self-exam/WO00026
    http://www.eurohealth.ie/cancom/bse1.htm

But the only way to be sure is to see your Dr your health is too importnat to but if off esp with something that is as treatible as possible breast cancer if it is dected earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

Could be too late by July, don't mean to scare ya! :)

I was in your situation before and it turned out to be something stupid that I didn't even need medication for (lump on my balls)

I woudn't say you have cancer, there are loads of reason why lumps grow.

And if you leave it too long, it can mess your head up especially with added stress of the LC, get it checked now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Does anyone here know anything about breast cancer? I've tried researching it online but I haven't come up with the sort of info I really want.

I'm just gone 18, and a few months ago I found a lump within my right breast, I at first didn't pay much heed to it, as I thought it was just me not knowing enough about my body's compostition, it was quite small and I thought it was part of the breast.

It got slightly larger so I did a bit of research, and discovered that women between the ages of 17 and 30-ish, can get benine lumps, that will grow and then lessen and disappear over a view years. Mine started to get smaller a view weeks ago and I thought great it's going, but it's grown back.

I have wanted to go to the doctor, but I'm actually very scared, even though there is quite a high chance that it is just one of these benine lumps. I made a deal with myself that if it's not gone by July I'll go to the doctor, as I ahave my leaving cert this year and everything is very hectic, and I don't have €60 to spare for the doc!

It's about the size of a table tennis ball, and I've become very self-conscious of it. It's not visible, as I have quite large breasts but I'm afraid of when I'm with a guy and he get's freaked by it or something... I've spoken to a friend about it and she said that she will go to the doctor with me if I want, which is great but I am really scared.

So does anyone know anything about these lumps, because as far as I knew, you could only feel them from under the armpit area, but this is actually in the bottom of my breast, below the nipple.

Any hel[ greatly appreciated. Sorry it's so long.

I'm confused as to why you left this so long and especially since it's so large. Im male and I found a lump behind my nipple that grew in September and I was in getting a biopsy three weeks later.

Go to the doctor and stop being stupid

PS - It was a hormonal imbalance!

Advertisement