Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predict a hit! - crystal ball 2006

Options
  • 28-01-2006 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

2005 was a good year for bands, artists and DJs coming from nowhere to become hugely successfull.
    So..
    Whos gonna make it big in 2006?
    Who is gonna make the leap from obscurity to become a household name?

Here are some of my lame predictions:

Dabrye
    Sia
    Annie
    Aberfeldy
    The Young Knives
    Death From Above 1979
    M.I.A.
    Sander Klienenberg
    Modeselektor

- Anyone else got any predictions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Berkeley's new album "In Moments". That said, I have little or no faith in the Irish record-buying public.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think its obvious Arctic monkeys will be big, dno why tbh , i hear everyone saying they are better then oasis and all, no sorry no way.

Red hot chillis have a new album coming as do U2 so they will be obvious hits.

And on Soccer AM Stone Roses member Manning did make a sly hint at maybe some sort of re union, so i dno, that would be the shizzle.

But tbh i wouldbt be suprised if some bloke makes a random noise or someone makes a transformer rap and it goes to number 1......

It's Mani, they've been hinting at that for ages though, don't think the rest will agree though.

That reminds me, isn't there a new G'n'R album due soon :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some mates of mine were telling me i always like the most obscure bands who hit it big a few months after i start listening to them...

... but this year, i really have no clue!

Would like 'Death Cab For Cutie' to get a bigger fan-base over here (if only for them to play a gig in Ireland). Would like Jose Gonzalez to get more recognition also.

Other than that.. no new bands have really impressed me.

Was very disappointed with the latest "effort" by The Strokes and also very unimpressed with Artic Monkeys album.

basquille wrote:
    Would like 'Death Cab For Cutie' to get a bigger fan-base over here (if only for them to play a gig in Ireland).

Would like Jose Gonzalez to get more recognition also.

Two very good calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Would like Jose Gonzalez to get more recognition also.
    Is he not already a huge success? The reminds me- The Knife, who origionally recorded Heartbeats, might make considerable progress, which would only be fair considering Joses success. They kinda shooting themselves in the foot though by refusing to tour.

While on the subject of covers, I think 2006 could be a big year for covers and imagine Nouvelle Vague and Barefoot might shift a few albums.

I think the Scandanavian invasion may continue and we will be seeing more of Magnet as well as growing affection towards Kings Of Convenience. Not forgetting those Iclandic bastards Sigor Ros who rape peoples brains, i.e you cant help but dig most of their stuff.

Good call with Death Cab For Cutie I hope they do well.
    Berkeley's new album "In Moments"
    I havent heard them but agree, us Irish dont go so mad for our own stuff for some reason, unless a few gigs in Whelens counts as success. Ive been a fan of NPB for years but they never seem to break into the mainstream. In saying that though, Republic Of Loose could do very well if they manage to shift a few records over in UK.
    i always like the most obscure bands who hit it big a few months after i start listening to them
    Same thing happens me sometimes, kinda happened with The Bravery and Maximo Park.
    Sometimes its nice to see a band or artist you like getting recognition, other times it feels like your little secret has been exposed and theres a sense of loss, like how I felt when Air became so big. And why do so many bands turn **** the second they smell a bit of chart success? Its a funny ol' world.
    I do have some little secrets left though, who Im sure wont make it big, Mellow being one of them. shhhhushhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, especially if they play at Oxegen.

Oxegen did loads for Arcade Fire's popularity here in 2005, I think it could be the same for Clap Your Hands this year. Aren't they playing here in February too?
    womoma wrote:
    Is he not already a huge success? The reminds me- The Knife, who origionally recorded Heartbeats, might make considerable progress, which would only be fair considering Joses success. They kinda shooting themselves in the foot though by refusing to tour.

The Knife's new album isn't accessible enough, IMHO. It's very dark and eerie, unlike "Deep Cuts".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

arcade fire didn't play oxegen it was electric picnic but anyways i'd love them to do a indoors gig, it would be great.

José will be a hit with an album that was released 3 years ago, he's recording at the moment after a couple of dates so i'd imagine he'll cap the year off with another album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Cremo wrote:
    arcade fire didn't play oxegen it was electric picnic but anyways i'd love them to do a indoors gig, it would be great.

Of course! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was pretty annoyed i couldn't get out there for when they played, they are absolutely esstatic live.

also i think biffy clyro will have a big year this year (judging by some of the new songs i've heard) not top 40 by any means but they'll be more recognised here and will be able to fill bigger venues here instead of the whelans/voodoo/etc.

• Advertisement

The Knife's new album isn't accessible enough, IMHO. It's very dark and eerie, unlike "Deep Cuts".
    I havent heard their new album. Although Im into much of their stuff, they do seem a bit pretentious. Ladytron are another act who have some wacky stuff on their album despite a few lovely catchy singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

womoma wrote:
    Annie
    Death From Above 1979
    The Young Knives
    M.I.A.

MIA and the Young Knives are both terribly over-rated.. the former is extremely painful on the ears and the latter just sound like a very bad and dis-spirited/uninterested punk band.. plus both had releases last year, although the Young Knives only now seem to be gaining momentum.

Annie is superb but afaik shes already released two singles from Anniemal last year and neither hit the big time, great great pop album though... more people need to hear it though :)

My sole tip would be Mates Of State.. fantastic new album due out this year (Bring It Back)... and its about time they hit big.

Hey Kali.
    I should have pointed out that Im not neccessarily interested in all those I mentioned. I agree M.I.A is overrated, and over hyped but if I was into that whole tacky "grime" scene I'd sooner listen to her than the ridiculously chavtastic "Lady Soverign". MIA is the lesser of 2 evils me thinks!

Ive only heard a couple of tunes by The Young Knives, which I thought sounded pretty fresh. Didnt realize theyve already been bigged up.

Ive been a fan of Mates Of State for a while although havent checked out their new stuff yet. Ill get on that right away!

Advertisement