Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras at night?

Options
  • 28-01-2006 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering...

Do 'mobile' speed camera work at night (ie. the gun out the Garda car window)

If a Garda uses a 'mobile' speed camera, do they have to pull you or...

Can these mobile guns remember your details, save them and you get a fine posted out to you? (ie. Gatso)

Just curious, I was doing about 65MPH in a 60MPH zone earlier (Very big, long, straight, safe road) and I saw a Garda car pulled in, it was pitch black dark. Even if it was a speed check I reckon I was safe as I was only doing 4-5MPH over the limit, but it would be nice to put my mind at rest!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

MPH or KMPH? What time was it at? I'd like to know mroe info on the cams too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cormie wrote:
    MPH or KMPH? What time was it at? I'd like to know mroe info on the cams too:)

MPH... im still not well in on this KMPH. I reckon I was about 8% over the limit ;)

It was dark, about 8:30PM in a non-lit area (A town bypass actually)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

the hand-held "hairdryers" use radar or laser to detect speed and require them to pull over the car at the scene, both will work in any light conditions.

The mobile cameras, either in vans or outside on tripods take a pic of the front licence plate for recognition as well as reading the speed in a similar way to the handheld guns. obviously there needs to be enough light for the plate to be visible on the image but IR imaging could always be used in low light.

An indicated 65mph probably means you were only going about 60mph anyway, most cars speedos over-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Take it from me, youv nothing to worry about.
    The way it works (with the gun) is they park up and target cars coming towards them.
    The guns are supposed to be set above the limit by a standard percentage (cant remember exactly what it is at this min) and are usualy set even higher then that.
    for Example, the 80kph R132 is an area frequented by the speed gun, and usualy the gun is set at 100/105kph.
    Everytime they pull the trigger the gun clocks your speed and shows it in the scope and if your above the set limit 107kph for instance they will flag you down and tell you to pull over were they will take car reg/make/model/color and driver name/address/D.O.B./licence number and possibly tax/insurance details.
    They will show you the speed on the gun and take note of it aswell as the distance at which they clocked you.
    You then get sent on your way having been informed of the E80 fine you will recieve in the post and 2 points on your licence. 28days to pay it andf if you dont,the fine rises to E120 and two points. after 56days,if you still havnt paid, you get summonsed to court where you can challenge the fine or if you are found guilty you WILL get a fine UP TO E2500 and WILL get 4 points.

And if you dont stop, well, your in a whole world of **** if they catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Take it from me, youv nothing to worry about.
    The way it works (with the gun) is they park up and target cars coming towards them.
    The guns are supposed to be set above the limit by a standard percentage (cant remember exactly what it is at this min) and are usualy set even higher then that.
    for Example, the 80kph R132 is an area frequented by the speed gun, and usualy the gun is set at 100/105kph.
    Everytime they pull the trigger the gun clocks your speed and shows it in the scope and if your above the set limit 107kph for instance they will flag you down and tell you to pull over were they will take car reg/make/model/color and driver name/address/D.O.B./licence number and possibly tax/insurance details.
    They will show you the speed on the gun and take note of it aswell as the distance at which they clocked you.
    You then get sent on your way having been informed of the E80 fine you will recieve in the post and 2 points on your licence. 28days to pay it andf if you dont,the fine rises to E120 and two points. after 56days,if you still havnt paid, you get summonsed to court where you can challenge the fine or if you are found guilty you WILL get a fine UP TO E2500 and WILL get 4 points.

And if you dont stop, well, your in a whole world of **** if they catch you.

Ah yeah ive been there before :rolleyes:
    Got away with the points though :D

Was just curious if the guns could pick up reg plates at night as I wasnt pulled over or anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement