Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N00b learns by projects

• 28-01-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here would be interested in helping a Linux N00b carry out a few projects. Like network stuff etc. Im not looking for someone to do the work for me just someone I can go to to ask a few key questions and they can point me in the right direction etc.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Uhh .. post your questions here? That's what this board is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Ok well I was wondering if anyone here has used coLinux and successfully used it to bootstrap a distro like Ubuntu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

PDD wrote:
    Ok well I was wondering if anyone here has used coLinux and successfully used it to bootstrap a distro like Ubuntu?

I've never used coLinux, but what do you mean 'bootstrap a distro like Ubuntu'? GRUB not good enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

colinux allows you run a linux kernel alongside another OS,
    so I guess PDD is looking to run linux at the same time as windows.

Hi PDD, welcome. What applications are you looking to run?
    I think jumping in with a full distribution install
    under colinux might not be the best direction to start with.

Install a distribution seperately and natively first.
    Ubuntu is a good choice. Give yourself some time
    working with linux and solving problems before you
    add the extra layer of a second operating system.

It'll also give you the opportunity to find what applications
    you might want to run under colinux.

You'd have to rebuild the ubuntu installer to run it under
    colinux as the default kernel won't support it, but once
    the system is installed seperately, you might be able to
    bring it up under a colinux kernel fairly easily.

Sounds like an interesting project. I'd be curious to see
    what kind of performance you'll get. As Tomk says,
    there's plenty of people here who'll help out in any way they can.

NiallB

Well I was thinking of installing Ubuntu anway but the reason I thought CoLinux would be extremely useful is that I could run Linux alongside Windows and migrate over to Linux by using applications. For example I run Thunderbird and Firefox under Windows for email and browsing, Im comfortable with these applications and would have no problem running them under Linux but other applications arn't available under Linux like PSP (yes it can be run in VM ware but setting up VMware is a project in itself for a Linux N00b) and it will take time for me to learn my way around a Linux alternative like GIMP before I could ditch PSP (and later learn how to run it in VM ware :-P)

The main appeal that I saw in CoLinux was the fact that rather than having to reboot in order to do set tasks (like pickup email, browse etc) under Linux that I could still be using Windows and be as productive but be able to switch over using Linux and a Linux application seamlessly and not adversly affect productivitiy as it were. The last time I tried switching to Linux I got so frustrated from having to reboot to switch over that I just abandonded Linux coz I was so comfortable with Windows.

The flip side of that argument though is why not just use VM ware under Linux to run native Windows apps but is setting up an application on VM ware difficult or is it more of a case by case basis?

On the technical side coLinux.org shows them booting a Knoppix Live CD version, maybe Ubuntu live would be similar (as they are both Debain based)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi,
    the knoppix CD required minor adjustment before it ran.
    This is simply because the knoppix kernel isn't a colinux one.
    Ubuntu should be similar - a minor adjustment required
    to boot with a colinux kernel.

As for getting to know gimp, have you seen Gimpshop?
    It's a build of the Gimp with photoshop like menu arrangements.

NiallB

PDD wrote:
    The flip side of that argument though is why not just use VM ware under Linux to run native Windows apps

I've just set up qemu on Linux to run the only Windoze app that I still need. I've never used VMware so I can't make a comparison, but it's running fine.

I got a Live CD version of K-Ubuntu last night and really impressed. I think Im gonna start with that and get to know my way round a few things but I might want get WINE up and running so I can run stuff like Dreamweaver etc. Would it be possible for me to setup a Linux at home that I can connect to from work via the internet and using a remote desktop of some sort. I would like to be able to do some remote stuff and do things like manage downloads etc. Networks are not my thing so I may need alot of help with this.

Connecting from work to home is definitely possible, but will depend on what kind of firewall setup you have at work. In a previous job, I found I couldn't make outgoing connections on the required ports, so I had to tunnel out on port 80. If you think you'll get the right answer, ask for permission. If not, just try it and see what happens. Come back here for help.

Cheers but Im not sure what I would be asking the IT department? We are not suppose to have 3rd party software installed on the machines so Im guessing that it limits me to using Telnet or what alternatives are there. The only thing I might want to do is transfer one or two files and set P2P downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not sure I understood your last post fully, but:

You can install most unix / linux software to your home area (i.e. wont affect the machine) by using ./configure --prefix=/home/<username> when compiling it. Then make, make install.

I have everything installed to /home/username/install32 (for 32bit) and install64 for 64bit then that gets added to my path at login time based on uname information.

If you need a better alternative to windows telnet that doesn't need installation, google "putty". It's quality stuff.

What you'd be asking the IT department is "Can I make a connection from my work PC to my home network on port XXXX?", where XXXX is the port you've decided to use for whatever application you've decided to use. If you're restricted to telnet (ugh), the default port is 23.

For transferring files from home to work, you could set up a web or ftp server at home, and then surf to it in work like any other website, and download your files. If you want two-way transfers, though, you'll need that outgoing connection.

Your P2P stuff I'm not sure about, but I think some of these kind of apps can be set up with web interfaces, which could then be served as above.

If you're running unix at work, Khannie's tip is worth a go, although if there's a blanket ban on installing stuff, that could apply to $HOME as well. Putty is THE only way to go if you're on Windows, and you can run it off a floppy. Putty will give you ssh, so you'll basically have secure cli access to your home system. ssh default port is 22, but you can set it up on some higher port number if necessary.

Remote desktop? I used to run VNC sessions over ssh, and later NX sessions, whenever I needed a gui.

OT - you just got me to 1000 posts - thanks! :D

Glad to be of service Tom :-P Im running Windows in work so I guess its Putty or web to do what I want to do. Cheers for the feed back guys :-)

Advertisement