Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somthing stinks in Irish boxing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭killeoin

that was michael gomez, he defo took a bung, i was at the fight myself, he simpy, gave up, it was unbelievable, ive never seen anything like that

either way, i wouldnt give the **** his money, not a ****ing chance, i hope Billy Graham kicks him out of his gym for that blatant disrespect

<edited> Comments removed. Chrisbonnie, please refrain from posting such unsubstantiated allegations in future.

Ok, here's my view.....
    Does it not seem very strange that if someone wanted to throw a fight that they would simply drop their hands and leave the other fella throw 8 or 9 punches into his head. It seems stupid to think someone would do that. I throught it was a disgrase that the fight wasn't stopped sooner. Its a sport after all.

Watching the fight (I might be watching a different fight to the rest of you!) but it seemed very much like Gomez just got drazed and dropped his defence...This whole outcry is coming just from the boxing fed because if they didn't come up with something people would just turn even more against boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very good point. In nearly all the major fights in history, very few if any had the scenario that happened Saturday night. When Duran quit against Leonard I don't think a 'fix' was even mentioned. Everyone knew what happened, he quit thru NO INTEREST. So Gomez I don't think suddenly decided to stop fighting and deliberately take punches, which whether or not they were heavy punches still were going to possibly cause him injury. He quit thru the fact he knew he was not going to win. It was worse than Duran. Roberto as I said just had enough, he wasn't interested. Gomez thought all he had to do was show up, throw a few shots and Peter would crumble. It didn't go the way he anticipated, Peter was still there and still very busy and fit, Gomez knew this, he was getting weaker so he thought '**** it' I'm ouha here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

This is a very delicate issue and certainly I can understand people thinking something was wrong, but if anyone actually looks at Gomez's history they might start thinking again.

The guy has always been a moody, highly strung, bully-type fighter. When well prepared he was actually verging on world-class, but in a number of his losses he just came into the ring out of shape and was blowing hard early and ended up being beaten by underdogs - sound familiar ? If things aren't going his way and an opponent is still in with a shout by the 4th or 5th then...
    I was actually saying this to my sister after the 3rd (having explained his history to her) and after the 4th (which McDonagh definitely won) I was saying "hmmm this could get interesting...".

I thought initially when he dropped his hands after the body punch that he was trying to claim it was low, but he just went walkabout. McDonagh did NOT land 10 clean punches, half of them missed and the ones that landed were thrown in a kind of 'reaching around to the front of his face' way that makes it hard to generate any power (try punching someone in the face who has his back to you and you'll see what I mean).

I saw Brian Peters' interview with RTE last night and while he obviously would say what he said, he did make a very valid point in saying that SpoilSports actually paid out ! Why would they do that if they had any reason to doubt, or if there was SERIOUS money on the line ? €20 and €50 bets are pure chickenfeed to these guys.

And to the poster asking about Gomez's attire, yes he has been kitted out like that for at least the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Without something concrete they could not avoid paying out, they are in the reputation business. It is not the size of the bets that matters, it is the amount that would have to be paid out. He made the point that a relatively small amount of money could move the odds significantly, but even when the odds were slashed they kept getting money on those rounds. This amount of activity was unheard of for an undercard fight. It's all circumstantial evidence of course, but it is fishy. As for the truth, i suppose only Gomez knows. its bad for irish boxing though

Gomez has appeared in the Sun paper today and ridiculed claims of a fix. I'm not saying he's telling the truth, maybe he isn't but he basically says that he just decided there and then to quit. He said the snap and rhythm were gone and he hadn't got it. The betting never swayed it for me, it's not at all unusual for an underdog in a 'two horse' race to be heavily backed coming close to a fight. It's the only real chance the punter can make a few quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

walshb wrote:
    Gomez has appeared in the Sun paper today and ridiculed claims of a fix. I'm not saying he's telling the truth, maybe he isn't but he basically says that he just decided there and then to quit. He said the snap and rhythm were gone and he hadn't got it. The betting never swayed it for me, it's not at all unusual for an underdog in a 'two horse' race to be heavily backed coming close to a fight. It's the only real chance the punter can make a few quid

If its not so unusual why did bolyesports suspend betting on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mikel wrote:
    Funniest quote of the year after the fight, Uri Geller came into the ring and was beside MacDonagh for the post fight interview.
    Ger Gilroy made some remark about Geller not being there just for show and MacDonagh said:
    "How can you not believe in this man?.....This man can bend spoons!!"

Indeed.

Shly divil Uri Geller heh? Shly divil! Possessin' that young lad when he almosht had the fight won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I got a vid of the fight if i can post a link let me know.

Chucky we're talking about bookies here, probably the most unscrupulous shower there are out there. They are the people who set the odds so damn high in the first place and then because it looks like they may lose, the cry foul and suspend betting. If you fail to see that this is a usual occurrence in sports betting in boxing or any other sport for that matter then that's you business. And if anyone was listening to Collins and Dowling before the fight you'd think that Peter was an absolute Retard and that he didn't deserve to be fighting Gomez. So now everytime a fighter loses in a particular rd or quits or that because the underdog wins, it's a fix??. Look at the fight and you willse hat Gomez was beat, tired, frustrated and sickened at the fact that Peter was getting stronger and taking over the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was reported initially that Boyle's losses would be well in to 4 figures. Thats under €10,000. Since then they've come out with the "no comment" line when asked about how much they lost - if it was big you could be damn sure they'd be telling us. They did say they would have lost more money if he'd lost in the 7th. All the other bookmakers have come out and said there was nothing unusual.

If 10 grand is all we're talking about, then clearly it wasnt a fix. Gomez would only be getting a share of that, so it would just make no sense. This is a talented boxer, who with a couple of wins could easily be back fighting for purses well into 5 figures.

I havent got a clue why Gomez quit, but the idea that he thought he was boxed out by then might have some merit, albeit I thought Gomez had won every round up to then. Or there might be something more sinister than a bookies scam at work....

• Advertisement
Advertisement