Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers decend on our City.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bp_me wrote:
    *sigh*...where to start

2) You could argue getting pissed off your face and causing fights is anti-social.

sigh... :rolleyes:
    You don't have to argue that point, getting pissed off your face and causing fights IS antisocial!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

they were racing up and down the Ferrybank - Abbeypark road till very late saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

bp_me, you can't justify this kind of action. It's like a group of kids running around a kitchen with knifes in each of their hands. It's total anti social behaviour and the guards should do more to break up this nonsense.
    These people are adults not kids so get off your high (unmodified) horse.
    Modified Cars shouldn't be let on the road in the first place. Too often they create noise pollution with exhaust pipes and audio modifications. As well as been altered to be raised x amount of inches over the road and the like. I don't know how insurance companies insure these cars in the first place.
    You have evidence of this? and can you remember the last time you had your sleep disturbed by said noise pollution? (you sound like an 'ould wan to be honest)
    I really really hate scumbags, and i really really really hate boy racers. They are the scum of the earth. Ok, well maybe not the scum of the earth but they are still scumbags of the highest order. Scummier than your normal scumbag anyway.
    If you feel that way then maybe you should propose a "final solution" whereby you exterminate all the people you believe to be a scumbag (because that is precisely where that line of thinking eventually leads). What's wrong with people who show an interest in spending a whole weekend or many evenings tinkering about with their car and learning some real science/mechanics rather than drinking or smoking themselves stupid? Besides all that a lot of money gets spent on these cars so I wouldnt be surprised if the amount of crashes are minimal compared to the idiots who drive rusty eggshells on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Nope, they are kids. FULL STOP
    You have evidence of this? and can you remember the last time you had your sleep disturbed by said noise pollution? (you sound like an 'ould wan to be honest)
    So you don't think that cars with modified exhaust pipes cause more noise than regular exhaust pipes! Interesting
    If you feel that way then maybe you should propose a "final solution" whereby you exterminate all the people you believe to be a scumbag (because that is precisely where that line of thinking eventually leads).

Exterminiation is a good idea. I think i'll apply for a start up business grant straight away.
    What's wrong with people who show an interest in spending a whole weekend or many evenings tinkering about with their car and learning some real science/mechanics rather than drinking or smoking themselves stupid?

Nothing wrong with learning stuff. But you said "rather than drinking or somking themselves stupid". Do they not do both at these meetings? I know i would smoke my brains out if i was there.
    :v:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes your right their not kids!
    However they are irresponsible adults who are extremely careless when they drive and there's no need what so ever for them to start shouting at random girls on Saturday night...think I'm making it up? I know three girls I work with saying otherwise!.

I can fully understand why people think their kids because they sure do act like bloody kids.

Ah the good old childish "You sound like a 'ould wan" argument
    God man what age are you 14??
    [EDIT] Hmm your profile says 26, perhaps your younger brother is using your account?[EDIT]

There's seriously no reason what so ever for a car to be louder then the norm, its needles and yes it does create noise pollution!
    If you feel that way then maybe you should propose a "final solution" whereby you exterminate all the people you believe to be a scumbag (because that is precisely where that line of thinking eventually leads).

Your argument just goes from the lowest of the low to ending up in the mud
    Your now comparing people that don't like boyracers to Nazi's....how mature! :rolleyes:

What's wrong with people who show an interest in spending a whole weekend or many evenings tinkering about with their car and learning some real science/mechanics rather than drinking or smoking themselves stupid?

By all means they can tinker with their cars all they want and learn their "science" (sigh) but there's certainly no need for them to speed around carparks and roads and start racing each other. Its careless and irresponsible!
    Besides all that a lot of money gets spent on these cars so I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of crashes are minimal compared to the idiots who drive rusty eggshells on wheels.

In fairness what decade are you in?
    I haven't seen a so called "rusty eggshell on wheels" in years, there's this thing called the NCT that kind of put a stop to it!

You might want to stop watching those muppets on Pimp My Ride doing their "science" (sigh :rolleyes: ) while working on inefficient "rusty eggshell on wheels" American cars
    :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

silverlining and everyone else be warned I'll ban people who drift (geddit?!) into abuse so be careful.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    I'll ban people who drift (geddit?!) into abuse so be careful.

Mike.

Like you sense of humour Mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

I wont comment on your use of a certain MTV show to help(?) your position. I would be stupid and close-minded not to agree that there are problems but the benefits of this subculture far outweigh the minimal (a couple of days every few months?, a brief loud noise?, driving round and round in circles?) damage to the accepted norms of today's society. I dont know why rollo allowed himself to 'drift' (good pun mike) off topic onto the issue of boy-racer/scumbags (whatever they are?), perhaps he didnt read the thread properly. In fact I'll never comment on this again as there is nothing you can do about car modding but it is clear that car modders should be more open to the public to distance themselves from the stereotype that is commonly brandished on them.

So tough, we live in country where a lot of mildly annoying practices (for some) are tolerated by our wonderfull constitution.

I dont know why rollo allowed himself to 'drift' (good pun mike) off topic onto the issue of boy-racer/scumbags (whatever they are?), perhaps he didnt read the thread properly

its because i'm a.....RACIST!!!!!!!!! HA HA !

(funnier than you Mike by a.....mile!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Somebody is trying to defend the "odd bit of noise". Every saturday night my sleep is disturbed by assholes with tin cans on their exhaust pipes, there is no excuse for it whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

cianclarke wrote:
    Somebody is trying to defend the "odd bit of noise". Every saturday night my sleep is disturbed by assholes with tin cans on their exhaust pipes, there is no excuse for it whatsoever.

If there is a repeated offender, take the licence plate and document the time and place.

There are laws that can be applied when a complaint is made by a member of the public. The same laws that would apply if your neighbour had a dog that was barking all night and keeping you awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

I was walking home to bally beg, i crossed the road at Waterford crystal and there was a paddy waggen Literally 2 seconds later there was the sound of an exaust and a car came flying up the road and did a doughnut then turned into templers!

Talaghn wrote:
    I was walking home to bally beg, i crossed the road at Waterford crystal and there was a paddy waggen Literally 2 seconds later there was the sound of an exaust and a car came flying up the road and did a doughnut then turned into templers!

and........???????????
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 apriloneill

Your argument just goes from the lowest of the low to ending up in the mud
    Your now comparing people that don't like boyracers to Nazi's....how mature! :rolleyes:

......making Rollo a nazi then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

bp_me wrote:
    If there is a repeated offender, take the licence plate and document the time and place.

There are laws that can be applied when a complaint is made by a member of the public. The same laws that would apply if your neighbour had a dog that was barking all night and keeping you awake.
    Ah right, I'll take note of that! Thanks Bren...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

and........???????????
    :confused:

And the gardai were around at the time! :p

Talaghn wrote:
    And the gardai were around at the time! :p

ahh! :)
    gottcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I just happened to be in Tramore last Saturday night. There were at least 30 boy ( and girl ) racers lined up along the Prom. They seemed quite well behaved outside the cars but apparantly once behind the wheel, these kids just lose all common sence.
    It is not the annoying noise from the exhausts ( Remember Nightrider, He had a cool car and the only noise it made was when it talked ) that really gets to me but the absolutely stupid driving behaviour.
    If these kids are proud to be Modifiers!? or whatever the correct term is,and are happy for everyone to know it, then why do most of them have tinted glass. You can be sure the kept it a secret when doing their driving test.
    As well as that, how does a 22 year old afford to buy and insure a Nissan Skyline. Any young driver should be restricted in the engine size and horse-power the can drive. Get a driving conviction and the restrictions are lengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Jor wrote:
    As well as that, how does a 22 year old afford to buy and insure a Nissan Skyline. Any young driver should be restricted in the engine size and horse-power the can drive. Get a driving conviction and the restrictions are lengthened.

Yup, cos nobody can drive like a tool in a 1 litre Micra.

I don't drive a modified car and I hate loud exhausts but there's no need for stupid arbitrary restrictions.

Better training, tougher testing (and re-testing) and something a bit more sensible than the NCT. But maybe I'm just making sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whispering

I have no problem with people making their cars look nice or lowering the suspension (although with the amount of speed ramps now in Waterford you would wonder why).....what I do have a major problem with is when they decide it is so super cool (not) to spin their wheels everytime they take off from a stop :mad: or perform wheel spins or drive doen the new outer ring road like f***ing demons :mad: terrorising other motorists.

For no other reason than the above and other stupid moronic things they do and this is my opinion they only do those stupid manouvers to have people look at them and they think people are saying wow look how cool he/she is in their cool car......really we are all thinking oh look there goes another moron going to drive his car into a ditch or worse and scarier still into someone elese and kill them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

dogs said what is needed is better training and tougher testing. I agree. The coaching of people to pass a lame (compared to the reality of modern day driving) test is not good enough. However I don't know any driving instructor or examiner who says to someone who has just passed their test "Congratulations. Now forget everything you have learned and drive whatever way you want to." It is blatantly obvious much of the driving that goes on at these cruises is dangerous.
    Also, Ireland has a 50% failure rate for the driving test. So the testers must be fairly stringent in examining the test in its current form.
    As for my suggestion of stupid arbitrary restrictions, the idea is that an unqualified or newly qualified gets enough real life driving experience in a lesser powered car. They are motivated to keep a clean driving record if they want to be able to move up in car size.
    I was under time pressure when sending in my previous thread. I did not get to mention that this should apply to everyone. So the middle-aged people speeding aroung in their big Mondeos, Mercs etc would have to change down in engine size on conviction.

can't see that kind of policy introduced at all at all. It would need to be highly adminstrated, which is something the motor industry isn't in Ireland and probably never will be, plus it would flood the buying and selling car markets.

The best way to tackle boy racers is to put pressure on insurance companys to actually take a look at the car itself and to determine is its fit to take to the road, just because a car isn't due to do the NTC test doesn't mean it's driveable. Insurance companies should not take on modified cars full stop.

As for the general drivers who break the law, well the gaurds are meant to be overseeing that. I'm not a driver myself so i don't know exactly how they are coping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey all,

They did come to Tramore alright, and I was told by the Gardai themselves there were 200+ of them in Tramore, around all enterances. Reports were coming in to them that they were intemidating most female drivers by driving up behind them reving the car, passing them out and slowing down then in front of them, going at top speeds around Tramore, racing each other on the Ring Road and down by the prom, doing turns and skids etc. All these reports were later confirmed by friends who saw the event happen, and my girlfreind who was driving home to FENOR (I presume most know the road?) and was followed by AT LEAST 50 cars reving up behind her, passing out and slowing down and acting the general eejits.

They decended in Tramore by 9PM and Gardai got backup and had them out of Tramore by 12. All I can say is: Fair Play. The town council are having a meeting about it soon, as they fear it will affect tourism in the summer if they keep it up.

so i'm presumming that all these guys are the same scientists that silverlining was mentioning earlier. I suppose when you can't afford one of those wind tunnel thingys you have to test your areodynamics somewhere. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

there is nothing wrong with boy racers, ye are all acting like ye are 90, a bit of noise ooooooo, what harm can it do, we all speed, and most are reliable, all my friends are boy racers, and never ever crashed, unlike some ADULTS, usually ud see a 30-40 year old man in a merc overtaking us and we would be going 60-70

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Is this a waterford thing? they seem to descend on our county a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

marky4 wrote:
    what harm can it do, we all speed

get back under your bridge troll

marky4 wrote:
    what harm can it do, we all speed, and most are reliable, all my friends are boy racers, and never ever crashed, unlike some ADULTS.

i can't beleive i just read this. Goes to show you the mentality of these boy racers.

Advertisement