Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

89.5 Fm Wtf?

• 29-01-2006 1:45am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the hell it is? Its just some guy talking about random stuff with no ads, no anything. Just him. I think its on a loop, i dunno. Anyone any info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

DUBLIN: Art radio
    Listeners chancing upon 89.9MHz FM in the Dublin area over the past couple of days have been left scratching their heads wondering about the strangest sounding radio broadcast to ever hit the capital. Black Brain Radio, with an RDS reading (BLKBRAIN) that only further confuses listeners, is a unique radio experiment which brings a modern art exhibition to the FM band for thirty days. The man behind the station/exhibition is Dublin artist Garrett Phelan, who was approached by the Irish Museum of Modern Art and Temple Bar Gallery and Studios about producing radio as art.
    The concept sees the radio frequency as a substitute for the traditional physical gallery space: "The transmission of Black Brain Radio presents the audience with an onslaught of regurgitated information, reprocessed through the artist's voice presented as a series of confusing, disjointed, broadcasts," says Phelan.
    An associated website, with streaming audio, can be found at garrettphelan.com.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Thanks alot. i was wondering what the hell it was. What a weird station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pointless crap tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

i saw a poster for it in temple bar last week and decided to tune in that night. Holy crap! A first i thought "this guy is either on drugs or an insomniac" but after a few minutes i couldn't stop listening. I was up till three in the morning listening to it. I normally loath modern art (fingerpaintings is all it is for chrissakes!) and still do but i found myself intrigued by this station and i don't even know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

I've listened to it for the last 2 nites, and decided to hit the'board to find out what it was.

As the rest of you guys, i tryed to figure out what exactly he was doing, I tought he was baked or something and just rambeling non stop.

How is that art?, If i read the bible for a few hours, read the first line of a bunch of google searchs, would i be an artist lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I normally loath modern art (fingerpaintings is all it is for chrissakes!) and still do but i found myself intrigued by this station and i don't even know why.

Seems like it's working, so. I'm the same, I don't like it, and yet I keep tuning in for a couple of minutes. Art, eh?

yeah, gotta confess, i did the same again, 3rd day running.. something about it.. but dose this guy get much sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's all pre-recoreded MP3s that play randomly.

So it's really not all that impressive... You'd think that them being pre-recorded would mean he sound a bit better prepared.. but nope.

An in-depth forum discussion on alternative ways of considering radio and art will happen next Friday morning at the Irish Museum of Modern Art. The key speakers will be Anna Colin from Resonance 104.4fm, London's first radio art station, Heidi Grundman from Kunstradio, Austria, Lorelei Harris, Features, Arts & Drama Editor with RTÉ Radio 1 and artist Garrett Phelan (He of Black Brain Radio Fame)

Personally I'd much rather see arts grants go to experimental radio documentaries or drama instead of funding an egotist like Phelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's all pre-recoreded MP3s that play randomly.

So it's really not all that impressive... You'd think that them being pre-recorded would mean he sound a bit better prepared.. but nope.

An in-depth forum discussion on alternative ways of considering radio and art will happen next Friday morning at the Irish Museum of Modern Art. The key speakers will be Anna Colin from Resonance 104.4fm, London's first radio art station, Heidi Grundman from Kunstradio, Austria, Lorelei Harris, Features, Arts & Drama Editor with RTÉ Radio 1 and artist Garrett Phelan (He of Black Brain Radio Fame)

Personally I'd much rather see arts grants go to experimental radio documentaries or drama instead of funding an egotist like Phelan.

Yeah i agree with you about that, it does seem like art for arts sake. In fairness though, I don't think it's designed to be impressive, I think one of the points of it that its "whispering in your ear" kind of. But I don't really know anything about art, I just like paintins and that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Wish he blew his nose or something, he sniffles non stop, and you can here all his breathing, coughing, stuff caught in his throat... Its minging.

Pure boll0x, and an absolute waste of a perfectly good frequency. :mad:

• Advertisement

yeah i saw the pic, massive condeser beside him, Its annoying as hell to hear someone click a mouse during pauses :mad:

And no need for any of that sloppiness at all.

He claims to have worked for over a year on pre-recording these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Have to agree, the slurping and smacking noises are disgusting. It should have been pulled off air by now.

what i dont understand is they pull a load of dance music stations off the air (yes the music is mindless at the best of times), but its better then what this guy is doing, how is he still going?

Idgeitman wrote:
    what i dont understand is they pull a load of dance music stations off the air (yes the music is mindless at the best of times), but its better then what this guy is doing, how is he still going?
    He has a license, that's why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aerialhead

The guy sounds like he is a day-release patient from an institution with high walls...a little bit scary...

And I can hear the signal in Naas, Co. Kildare!

He obviously recorded the stuff in a truck park, or in his sitting room, and sounds like he is interviewing himself...

Did he get an art grant for this crap? Just think how many hospital beds this could have ......etc etc etc...

There was a talk on at IMMA today about this.

I wasn't able to go myself but a colleague of mine went along... I'll let you know how she got on.

Advertisement