Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT CAP - Exceeded Upload

• 29-01-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I thought the limits had increased from the 27th. I know the general opinion is that these figures don't mean anything really, but I find it odd that they are focused on the upload when I've exceeded the download as well - if you don't apply the new limits.

You have exceeded your upload limit for this month!
    Logins 29
    Offpeak Traffic 21441 minutes
    Peak Traffic 9000 minutes
    Data uploaded 28.24 GB [30324438582 bytes]
    Data downloaded 26.63 GB [28593774483 bytes]
    Click here for history

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Are they measuring upload CAPs now as well...or have they always?

Its been so long since my stats were updated that I really couldnt care these days...thanks BT!

.....................AAAHHH....another eircom BB add on the radio....would they fluff off......best value my áss!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well aren't you lucky zuma.

i always get calls from them asking me to sign up for broadband since my exchange has recently upgraded.

they act all surprised when i tell them i've have broadband for a year and my dad's company has it (on the same exchange) for 3. :p

this makes the ad's a bit more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

They always have, but with the old speeds I'd say it was pretty much impossible to reach the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

If BT start charging for exceeding the cap I'm truely Fu€kEd. Hopefilly we'll get unlimited data transfer before that happens though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sturgo is that the overall total for azureus on just on a monthly basis?

if it's a monthly basis i to is screwed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can the pirate police track Bit Torrent uploading? That's some amount of dl/ul:eek: Do you think BT etc would have to release info on their biggest uploaders by court order?

cormie wrote:
    Can the pirate police track Bit Torrent uploading? That's some amount of dl/ul:eek: Do you think BT etc would have to release info on their biggest uploaders by court order?

Using Bit Torrent isn't illegal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I know, but some activity that can take place on it is. Uploading for example..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

sturgo wrote:
    If BT start charging for exceeding the cap I'm truely Fu€kEd. Hopefilly we'll get unlimited data transfer before that happens though.

Relax...if BT start charging it will destroy their business plans in Ireland.

They are no UTV...grab the money and run operation...!!!

I have done a lot of downloading in the past over a 1months period...but the stat site has always been giving me 0 transfers...so who am I to question it?
    If they were serious about the CAP dont you think we would have heard of the fines by now as we do on a VERY regular baisis for UTV!

January Summary for "ZUMA"
    Logins
    Offpeak Traffic 0 minutes
    Peak Traffic 0 minutes
    Data uploaded 0.00 GB [ bytes]
    Data downloaded 0.00 GB [ bytes]

cool Zuma. thanx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've been over every month except the first beack in sept 04. usually by at least 10-20gb.

incidentally, just had a look at my total history and I've downloaded over half a terabyte of data.

makes you wonder where it all goes really, doesn't it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

sturgo wrote:

Don't bet on that ever happening. It doesn't make sense for them from an economic point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I thought the limits had increased from the 27th. I know the general opinion is that these figures don't mean anything really, but I find it odd that they are focused on the upload when I've exceeded the download as well - if you don't apply the new limits.

You have exceeded your upload limit for this month!
    Logins 29
    Offpeak Traffic 21441 minutes
    Peak Traffic 9000 minutes
    Data uploaded 28.24 GB [30324438582 bytes]
    Data downloaded 26.63 GB [28593774483 bytes]
    Click here for history

Why would you need to upload 29Gbs in one month :rolleyes:

sturgo wrote:
    Using Bit Torrent isn't illegal though.

:rolleyes: yes but what are people downloading off it, daisys?

I upload to keep my torrent ration 1:1 or better.

I upload to keep my torrent ration 1:1 or better. Dimeadozen is my poison.

:rolleyes: torrents

The torrents at a lot of the music sites are legal...ish. None of the material there can be bought in the shops. It's fan recordings of concerts and any artists who don't want their material on the site let it be known pretty quickly and the contentious matter is removed post haste. They are what is known as bootlegs rather than pirate material. The performers loose nothing from the distribution of these recordings as they aren't on sale in the first place.

Still, with what's going on in the entertainment industry regarding file sharing it would be foollish to predict that this will last forever, but the legal people would be far more interested in people who buy and rip commercial cds and dvds than those who distribute 'field recordings'.

It was going on for years using the post and if the torrent sites get closed down I'm sure people would just revert (reluctantly) to stamps and envelopes once more.

The torrents at a lot of the music sites are legal...ish.

:rolleyes: torrent sites might have bootleg stuff but they also have plenty of ripped CDS etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

They always have, but with the old speeds I'd say it was pretty much impossible to reach the limit.
    I reached about 7.99GB upload back last year before the cap went up to 16 :D

And yes there a lot of perfectly legitimate BitTorrents (e.g. Linux distro's and whatnot), and a lot of grey area stuff like bootlegs and anime fansubs, but there's a hell of a lot of copyrighted material being distributed illegally via torrents too...

Also, my BT DSL "summary" hasn't been updated since the 10th January, even though I've been on regularly since then (and I turn my modem off whenever I'm not using it) - what's going on?

rsynnott wrote:
    Don't bet on that ever happening. It doesn't make sense for them from an economic point of view.

They have it in most civilised countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Er, no, no they don't. 'unlimited' broadband always comes with a hefty set of terms and conditions.

yes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ok, list the countries. It should be a long list, seeing as it's "most".
    And back-it up with links to the packages too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I remember asking BT one day. The Cap is apparently for both upload and download combined. Its a transfer cap and not a download cap they told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Jumpy wrote:
    I remember asking BT one day. The Cap is apparently for both upload and download combined. Its a transfer cap and not a download cap they told me.
    It is referred to as a transfer cap but it is not combined.
    From the BT website:
    You are entitled to free transfer of up to 20GB (30GB for Broadband Plus) of data in any given month. You will be entitled to use this limit in either direction without penalty. For example, with Broadband Plus you can upload 30GB and download 30GB in the same month without penalty.

WizZard wrote:

Sorry, I don't have the time, I actually have a life.

Oh right, so it is an opinion then, not a fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

WizZard wrote:

Sweden
    Norway
    Finland
    Usa
    Canada
    Estonia
    etc etc.

What good would foreign links do you?

:rolleyes:
    "unlimited" in all those countries, without a hefty set of terms and conditions?
    I think you'll find that's not true.
    IDMUD wrote:
    What good would foreign links do you?
    Perhaps I can read some foreign languages, or, *gasp*, use an online translator. Plus it would be proof as opposed to conjecture/rumour.
    rsynnott wrote:
    Er, no, no they don't. 'unlimited' broadband always comes with a hefty set of terms and conditions.

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    Oh right, so it is an opinion then, not a fact?

Yeah, whatever you want to call it. Just don't have a baby.

Advertisement