Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Re: BMW

Options
  • 29-01-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm thinking of buyung a 92-94 BMW 316i. I've been looking around and I reckon I can pick one up for around €3000. To be honest I don't know much about cars but I do know I'd be better off spending my 3K on a Jap car but I want something that looks good!

Does anybody know of any major isseus with these BMWs? Or anything I should look out for in particular. I'd really appriciate some good advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sturgo wrote:

Does anybody know of any major isseus with these BMWs? Or anything I should look out for in particular. I'd really appriciate some good advice.

Thanks!

loads of issues with old bmws. they tend to be driven very hard, particularly in latter years, and not serviced either. only buy the best if u insist. but be prepared for big bills..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have a 94 316i. I have a few Minors issues with the car, Only problem i have had is with the Rad. Def get one checked because they can be driven to shít. Check signs of the head gasket going....

Loveyly cars though and get of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have an old BMW that doesn't seem to have been driven hard, at any time. It also seems to have been serviced quite well, and the bills aren't that big. (My experience so far is that the bills thing as regards BMW's and the like is a myth. Fingers crossed that doesn't change.)

It has to be said though, if I had to buy a 3 series - pray jesus it never happens; with the sole exception of the original M3 - it so wouldn't be a 1.6. I mean seriously, what's the point?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Ken Shabby wrote:

It has to be said though, if I had to buy a 3 series - pray jesus it never happens; with the sole exception of the original M3 - it so wouldn't be a 1.6. I mean seriously, what's the point?

adam

Insurance

While I can understand your pain, I still don't see a point. If I was in your position, I can think of many better things to buy. A 316 is just a pointless car, always has been. I laugh when I see the badges. Sorry, but I do.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i have an 'OLD' bmw as you put it and its grand. as long as you look after it, get oil done, get a fsh with the car if you can. etc. its a fine car, you feel secure in it, for 3 or 4 grand you could buy another car, but you wouldnt get the build quality of a bmw.

just look at the m5 that was totalled and rolled 5 times, sure this could be a merc or another expensive marque but you get what you pay for, and this guy got a sore shoulder for his troubles when alot more would be crippled or dead.

i drove many cars and i have no problem with bmws, sure the badge might be flashy, buts thats just fu**** nonsense and crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Just aswell you dont own one so isent it or you would be laughing at yourself all the time....
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    While I can understand your pain, I still don't see a point. If I was in your position, I can think of many better things to buy. A 316 is just a pointless car, always has been. I laugh when I see the badges. Sorry, but I do.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Ken Shabby wrote:

adam

Pointless ??? Care to explain what you mean? To 99% of people, a 325i might as well be a 316i. They look identical, they handle almost identically - in fact the 316i would probably be more nimble based on it having less weight up front, the only difference is the speed of the car and the sound of the engine really.

The 316i looks great, and handles great - its not a fast car, but so what. Get a nice spec one thats been looked after and its a fantastic purchase.

Cool! Thanks for the advice everyone! Another question:

Like I said I know F-all about cars, but milage wise where should I draw the line? Was looking at a 92 with 140K on the clock. Is that pushing my luck?

Cheers.

sturgo wrote:
    Cool! Thanks for the advice everyone! Another question:

Like I said I know F-all about cars, but milage wise where should I draw the line? Was looking at a 92 with 140K on the clock. Is that pushing my luck?

Cheers.

Really depends on the car in question - at about 100k a lot of the suspension components & bushes will be shot, if they've been replaced the car will drive fine. Same goes for the engine - if its been looked after you should see another 40k / 50k at least without major complication.

• Advertisement

kdevitt wrote:
    The 316i looks great, and handles great - its not a fast car...
    I can't speak for the handling, and looks is a matter of personal taste - again, imho there hasn't been an eyecatching 3 series since the original M3; the E36 coupé/convertible wasn't bad if it was kitted out right, but it wasn't brilliant either - but it's not just not a fast car, it's a slow car. Woefully underpowered.

Sure, not everyone buys for power, but there are better cars to buy for looks too. Buying a 3 series just for the look of the thing just seems illogical to me; paying a premium for a decidely average car.

adam

Fair enough, if you don't like the looks of it you don't like the looks of it. I've had an E30/E36 & currently have an E46 & E30 and personally think the 3 series has become a better car in every incarnation (build quality wise) as well as being better looking.

The 316i is relatively slow car alright - like almost every single other 1.6 thats out there - unless it has a Vtec or Mivec engine. Its not woefully underpowered though - unless you're trying to show off at the traffic light grand prix of course.

kdevitt wrote:
    The 316i is relatively slow car alright - like almost every single other 1.6 thats out there - unless it has a Vtec or Mivec engine.
    Power is relative, hence power-to-weight ratios. A 1.6 just doesn't belong in a car the size of a 3 series BMW, particularly the later ones. However a 1.6 in a small- to medium-sized hatch is a different story altogether, and it may not need variable valve timing and all that other stuff to pull it off. You could probably get away with it in one of those 3 series "compacts", but ye gods, would you want to? What an awful car.

Apologies if I appear argumentative, that's not the intention in this case. I just don't see the point. It's about as logical to me as buying a Fiesta.

adam

Believe me... if the insurance companies weren't taking me up the arse I'd be going for something more powerful. Personally I like the build and look of the BMW 3 series. A 1.6 is perfect for me at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭david powell

If your going for a 316i E36, try go for a 95 or newer one, these have the M43 engine which has a timing chain and no timing belt to be replaced. The M43 engine has proven it's self to be very reliable. I have a '96 316i and haven't had to do anything with the engine apart from oil changes every 10K and the usual air filter ect...

The parts are not that expensive even from the dealer ship, one example is
    i bought a new ignition barrel, made to fit the existing keys on my car from
    a bmw dealer and it cost 50euro + vat, all in. Also there are places selling
    parts relatively cheap ( www.gsfcarparts.com )

As for the cost of servicing, dealer ships and some mechanics will charge over
    the odd's for servicing, but it's not cause these cars are more difficult to
    service, it's more because they see the badge on the front.

An earlier poster said that at > 100Kmiles bushings / ball joings / bearings
    tend to need replacing, this is quite true, but they are not very
    expensive items either, and if your anyway handy you can do them all your self. There's lots of information out there on the E36, mainly form the US, as there isn't that many BMW dealer ships and many people tend to do the work them selves. They are actually a nice car to work on.

Look after the cooling system, as in alot of situations this is what fails, resulting in overheating and head gasket failure. I changed the thermo-stat on mine when i got it as it was staying open too long.

To Pass the NCT last summer all i needed was 2 ball joints and 2 flexible brake pipes, which i didn't consider too bad for a 9 year old car, total parts cost was 80Euro + an afternoon of my time.

hope this helps.

David, you're an absolute gent. Thanks for taking the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ken Shabby wrote:
    ....Apologies if I appear argumentative, that's not the intention in this case. I just don't see the point. It's about as logical to me as buying a Fiesta. - adam

Guess you must only buy the best cars then. Have an S Class, a Enzo and a Carrera GT. What would be the point of anything else. :rolleyes:

Advertisement