Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo - parental consent?

Options
  • 29-01-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

i going to be 16 soon, and i want a tattoo, i was wondering what the parental consent age was (i think its 16 but im not sure)
    any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's 18 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

isnt that just to get one in general?

i thought some places did it with parental consent.....do any proper places do this (as in licenced and clean...and not going to get me infected with something)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Technically speaking there is no age of consent for getting a tattoo but i doubt many artists would knowingly do a tattoo on an under 18, plus also i think its a bad idea to get tattoos when your body is still growing. Take some time to think about it, remember you've got the whole of your life to get one done.

i knew that, because of moral issues and not wanting to get sued for assault.

but apparently there are some places that do a tattoo for someone over a certain age with parental consent.

but if they dont i suppose i'll wait a few more years

I'd go with the wait option as the places that do that aren't the best shops if ya catch my drift

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

theres no legal age limit,the 18+ rule is a self imposed rule that the tattooists have.
    You can however get one done if the parant comes in and the tattooist in convinced you wont regret it.
    Theres a place in mullingar that did mine that tattooed someone who was 17 when there mother came in with her.
    Outback its called,its on the main street and the prices are good.
    Mine only cost E80 (its in the show me yours.... thread)

is it a good place?

i dont want to get an infection or disease

charter wrote:
    Rule 6.
    No more asking for information on underage Tattooing or Piercing.
    A Tattooist here in Ireland WILL NOT Tattoo you if you are under 18 so dont ask if anyone knows who or where "might" do it?
    Most piercing are over 18s although there are a few that are 16 with parental consent.If you are 13 and want a piercing done then these boards are not the place to ask.

The person who asks will be given a 2 week ban and if anyone replies with advice they will also get a 2 week ban.

*ahem*

oops, well tecknically i didnt ask, i asked about the parental consent age, WHEN you COULD get one with a parent. not WHERE you could get one

and i only asked was it a good place, so i know when im older, as im not getting one anytime soon apparently.

Just pointing it out and generally its a bad idea to argue techniucalities to the charters on boards.

• Advertisement

right...

ive deicided i'll wait. it will give me a longer time to choose a better one and one that i wont regret

Good idea and remember bigger is better (imo)

okay, well i dotn know what imo is.

but i would go with somthing small first, find out how painful it can be for larger tattoos, that way i know i wont back out half way through a tattoo.

i havnt fully deicided yet, but i'll get one either on my should, arm, but i could change my mind, they will be the most likly places. as they are the least painful places as there arnt as many nerves...unless i get it done on a joint

imo= in my opinion

Pain shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

oh right.

well i suppose, but i dont want to get somthing that would be large and will hurt like hell for the first time. but then again, if i find the right tatto.

it all depends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

i would'nt do purely on the logic that since your only 16 your body is still growing and hence getting it now may result in a slightly distorted image by the time your 18.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Amazingemmet.

How nice of you to quote the charter for me.:rolleyes:

Crazydude pm`d me before he put the post up asking wheter I could answer the question regarding parental consent and whether I knew anywhere that would do a tattoo if he arrived in with his parents.

Since I didnt know the answer to his question I gave the go-ahead to put the post up here.Its not strictly against the charter since his parents are willing to attend the tattooist with him.
    Richie.

He didn't mention the pm, was just giving him a heads up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No probs I was just joking anyways.

i would'nt do purely on the logic that since your only 16 your body is still growing and hence getting it now may result in a slightly distorted image by the time your 18.

but its going to distort as i get older no matter what

• Advertisement

Wouldnt mind the distortion thing really.Id my first done at 16 and never had any distortion.Im 31 now.

I suppose if you have visions of being a body builder or something like that that would stretch muscle you may get distortion.Or if you were severly overweight and lost the weight it could happen.

i've deicided to wait.

that way i can go to somewhere really good rather than a "last resort"

Distortions depends on where its placed on the body relative to how you grow, i know a two girls who have small tats near their hips that destorted quite a bit when they grew during their late teens. And more recently i've put on about 2st in muscle since i got my tribal sleeve done and now it doesn't follow the muscle as well as it used too.

i might get somthing peirced at some stage, but on my 18 birthday or the day after or so im definatly getting a tattoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Ive been planning a tattoo on my back for around about 2years, it has changed so much. Gone into shops but alota the guys werent that helpful. Get one that your completely happy with in my opinion.
    Funny that amazingment said that "bigger is better", ive been told that so many times :)

That rule 6 in the charter isnt correct as its nothing to do with law that most places wont tattoo under 18s.

Outback for anyone that wants to know is a good place.its small and as he told me,this keeps his over heads down meaning he can charge less.it is clean, needles opened and disposed off in front of ya. gloves worn too.
    My dad got his tatoo there the week before i got mine and both are fine with no problems what so ever.

That rule 6 in the charter isnt correct as its nothing to do with law that most places wont tattoo under 18s.

Well correct it then.
    Theres no mention of the law anywhere in the charter.
    There are no laws here governing tattooing or piercing.

The 18s rule is drawn up by the industry itself which is in my opinion a good rule to have in place.The original OP wanted to know if there was anywhere that would tattoo him if his parents were present.

what i ment was that banning people for asking and the statement that tattooist WILL NOT tattoo under 18s was wrong.it is an industry rule but its not set in stone or anything so places will do it and not just dodgy back street places either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

it is an industry rule but its not set in stone or anything so places will do it and not just dodgy back street places either.

Most reputable places will not do it under any circumstances....make of that what you will.

• Advertisement

what i ment was that banning people for asking and the statement that tattooist WILL NOT tattoo under 18s was wrong.it is an industry rule but its not set in stone or anything so places will do it and not just dodgy back street places either.

I stand by what I have said in the charter and as most regular posters here know--Its next to impossible to get a tattooist to tattoo someone underage.

If you know anywhere to the contrary of that then back it up with names and places.

Advertisement