Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FX57 @ 3600Mhz

Options
  • 29-01-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Just posting to say Wizzards "old" FX57 found a chilly new home! Doesnt look like it has the cold bug and overclocking with an FX is so easy it feels like cheating! :)

3600 - 17.5 x 206Mhz (ram basically at stock speed) for now. :)

Check out the temp it pushes the MachII to however! Its -8 under load at stock (2800MHz 1.4v) but +12 under load at 3600MHz (1.68v)!!

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Not stable enough for him to post here for himself? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Not stable enough for him to post here for himself? :p

In fairness, that would be hard as I bought it from him, he doesnt have a MachII :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh man that must be faaaaaaast.

Prime stable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I loved Hidden and Dangerous just seening your desktop makes me want to install that game again and this time clear it.

Nice oc!

Oh man that must be faaaaaaast.

Prime stable ?

Not quite Prime stable, but once it completes Pi to 32M Im happy. I can throw voltage at it and it does Prime at about 90MHz lower, but if I can run it cooler and faster and not crash in the stuff I use it for (the not so important duty of games and email ;) ), I think its acceptable.

Thinking about completing H&D2's expansion pack now... :D

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'm absolutely delighted about this! Fair play to you Matt Simis!

WizZard wrote:
    I'm absolutely delighted about this! Fair play to you Matt Simis!

I see you updated your sig with something nice! Ill be waiting to give it a good home too ;)

Final speed for now 1.62v 17x 212MHz = 3604MHz. Only running the ram at 212 as 4x 512MB sticks are very hard to run at high mhz. Generate a boat load of heat too.

Matt

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Are you running 4*512 or 4*1024 ram?

And what board are you using, the only board that i know of that can run 4 sticks at 1T is the DFI lanpartyt Expert

conzymaher wrote:
    Are you running 4*512 or 4*1024 ram?

And what board are you using, the only board that i know of that can run 4 sticks at 1T is the DFI lanpartyt Expert

4x 512MB. All BH5 but different vendors (2 Corsair and 2 Twinmos). I have the Lanparty SLI, unfortunately 1T with all 4 sticks in is a no boot.

So I run C2 3-3-6.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pretty gash only getting a 2T boot at 200FSB. Pointless having that RAM.

I am ditching my 4 x 512 for similar reasons, tho I get a 1T 2-3-3-6 boot at up to 230-240 FSB and max270 at 2.5-3-3-7, TCCD btw, but I am selling as this is unacceptable as far as I an concerned. (DFI-Lanparty UT Expert and a 4400+)

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote:
    Pretty gash only getting a 2T boot at 200FSB. Pointless having that RAM.

For running Benchmarks perhaps... :rolleyes:
    For actual games and general Windows usage, 2GB at 212MHz 2T (and fast timings) is a world faster than 1GB at any speed. Considering the memory controller is physically in the CPU, memory access is fast regardless.

Im also running Windows x64 (IMO part and parcel of AMD64 platform) which tends to utilise ram more efficiently.

Despite having all this crazy $hit, Im not really too interested in even attempting to climb the benchmark ladder. I just do it to play my stuff better.

Matt

Matt Simis wrote:

Despite having all this crazy $hit, Im not really too interested in even attempting to climb the benchmark ladder. I just do it to play my stuff better.

Matt

ROFL

Phase cooling and 'play my stuff better'. FFS you well know that the diff between gaming with an FX57 @ stock and @ 3.6ghz is unnoticeable to the human eye......only reason to bother is for the benchies imho.

Matt Simis wrote:
    For actual games and general Windows usage, 2GB at 212MHz 2T (and fast timings) is a world faster than 1GB at any speed.
    Matt

Debateable at best, and for the same price you can get 1T tight timings out of a pair of 1gig sticks (instead of 4x512)....occupying 4 slots is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Exactly.
    1Gig sticks have high timings in the range of 3-4-4-8, and only now are 1Gig sticks with 'performance' timing coming out. And they're still Infineon ICs.
    Yes, 1T is better than 2T, but 2T is a small compromise to achieve 3.6Ghz on A64 and he gets 2Gig ram to boot - so it suits his needs.

Also, the effect on CmdT the memory ranking config has is largely dependent on the stepping/memory controller of the cpu die. Given a relevant BIOS update and decent pcb design, no AMD64 motherboard I know of limits the usable timings more than the cpu stepping.

Matt is a long-time enthusiast, he's posted impressivecpu OC results and has repeatedly stated that it's in a box he uses for games and net access - things which benefit more from 2gig ram than 1T timings.

Ram timings are not the only performance metric.

And please stop trying to flog your ram everywhere. Put a link in your sig to the For Sale forum thread you should have already created and let them come to you, good man yourself :v:

SyxPak,

Feck off and mind yer own. RAM was sold to Gline and my bro last week, so there is no RAM for sale. 4 x 512 sticks is pointless. Read DFI-Street and see that the best 2GIG setup is with 2x1GB sticks, defo not with 4x512MB.

These are facts, not opinions. If you are going to phase cool a rig, surely you are in the best optimisations game, and should be using the best setup? Esp when 4 x 512 sticks costs the same near as dammit as 2 x 1GB.

Then the I am not into benchies, with a screen dump of a superpi run!!

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i agree that 2 x 1gig sticks is a better setup then 4 x 512

also phase is a lot of work just for games + internet. :D

congrats on the oc though, pretty sweet.

I wish wiz would go phase with the fx60, man ud be able to oc that to bits :D

Inquitus wrote:
    SyxPak,

Feck off and mind yer own. RAM was sold to Gline and my bro last week, so there is no RAM for sale. 4 x 512 sticks is pointless. Read DFI-Street and see that the best 2GIG setup is with 2x1GB sticks, defo not with 4x512MB.

These are facts, not opinions. If you are going to phase cool a rig, surely you are in the best optimisations game, and should be using the best setup? Esp when 4 x 512 sticks costs the same near as dammit as 2 x 1GB.

Inqui

Lol, no one is debating that 2x1GB isnt better than 4x512, its simply I had 2x 512 and added to it as opposed scraping and replacing. I also have the phase cooling for over 3 years, it was actually an RMA of an RMA of the original Prometeia. Its not as if I ran out and bought all this stuff just to win some award or something.

The TwinMos BH5 ancient too, purchased 12/2003! Its likely some sort of record, being running generally at 2.9 - 3v the entire time at 250MHz+.

This system is actually pretty old school, which is fairly unique in PC terms. BTW the SuperPI screen dump was only to show a level of stability and that it wasnt a pointless CPU-Z shot. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

gline wrote:
    I wish wiz would go phase with the fx60, man ud be able to oc that to bits
    I will, eventually. Can't afford it at the mo', going with nice water for now ;)

gline wrote:
    snip
    also phase is a lot of work just for games + internet. :D
    congrats on the oc though, pretty sweet.

I should probably clarifiy that. I actually sold the MachII, twice. The stupid things are so prone to failure however they keep coming back. The last time the internal temp sensor failed which caused it to go haywire and power on and turn off in a bizarre fashion. I jury-rigged a backup sensor in there and got it working again. It didnt look like Id ever get rid of it so just called it quits and start putting it to use again.

Ive had 3 Prometeias in total... there is a good reason nVentiv went bankrupt.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Matt Simis wrote:
    I should probably clarifiy that. I actually sold the MachII, twice. The stupid things are so prone to failure however they keep coming back. The last time the internal temp sensor failed which caused it to go haywire and power on and turn off in a bizarre fashion. I jury-rigged a backup sensor in there and got it working again. It didnt look like Id ever get rid of it so just called it quits and start putting it to use again.

Ive had 3 Prometeias in total... there is a good reason nVentiv went bankrupt.

Matt

ive had no issues with mine in over a year and a half, except needing a firmware upgrade

id never get rid of it i dont think, the results are increidble on phase.

Inquitus wrote:
    SyxPak,

Inqui
    I do read dfi-street.
    It's only in the last quarter that 1Gig sticks have started approaching the timings of 512Meg sticks, so while 4x512Meg sticks might not be optimal, I don't agree flat-out that 2x1Gig sticks in general are automatically better just because you can run them at 1T timings (and the ranking of the 1gig sticks will affect that on certain core revs too). If anything, 2x512Meg is what should be recommended if the goal were balls-out clock increases. There's a hell of alot more factors in the memory performance than the majority of people realise, and comments like yours don't give the full picture and lead to dilution of the 'facts' with subjective opinion and hearsay - especially on forums.

My comment about your memory was largely in jest as I had just scrolled past another post by you in another thread, which made me smile.

[Personal Opinion]
    Tweaking and Overclocking were born out of people trying to get more performance from stock parts. That used to mean making do with what you had and could afford, and then fiddling till it ran faster. I abhor people who just throw money at a problem until it goes away, but unfortunately this seems to be the prevailing wind as overclocking becomes more mainstream.

SyxPak wrote:
    I do read dfi-street.

[Personal Opinion]
    Tweaking and Overclocking were born out of people trying to get more performance from stock parts. That used to mean making do with what you had and could afford, and then fiddling till it ran faster. I abhor people who just throw money at a problem until it goes away, but unfortunately this seems to be the prevailing wind as overclocking becomes more mainstream.

Yeah, I agree. I had more fun and achieved more when I spent less money on parts. I even made a complicated Water Chiller from a mini freezer I got in Power City. I still have the parts!

Thats what I meant by saying the FX was almost like cheating, its really an expensive "made for overclocking part", which is contradictory when overclocking used to be about getting more from less.

Matt

Advertisement