Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sylvia Plath notes?!

• 29-01-2006 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I 'm having trouble finding notes on sylvia plath on the web, any my english teacher doesnt give us any so i'm kinda ****ed!any help??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

dont no bout on the web but ya should get the book "this is poetry" has good notes on all the poets for 2006.will set ya back round 15 euro but its good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

if it's urgent try skool.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

If you have Poetry Now! there's somegreat notes in the critical commentary. That books excellent, even if you're not studying but feel like reading. Plath's a legend, she's the best poet on the course imo.

"Little bloody skirts!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Daddio wrote:
    If you have Poetry Now! there's somegreat notes in the critical commentary. That books excellent, even if you're not studying but feel like reading. Plath's a legend, she's the best poet on the course imo.

"Little bloody skirts!"
    Shes ****, I hate her as a poet, the only reason she got recognised was because she shoved her head in a oven. Yeats all the way! even though he wont come up this year..

This is Poetry is the best, it has loads of notes and goes into great detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

She's a gee bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

totally agree she is crap...so borin and depressin
    and ur sayin yeats wont come up................NOOOOO
    i know him best:confused:

What are yall on about?! She's brilliant! The Arrival of the Bee-Box: Nuff said.

"I have simply ordered a box of maniacs."

Her metaphors catch me off-guard every time, they're so original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

exiot wrote:
    Shes ****, I hate her as a poet, the only reason she got recognised was because she shoved her head in a oven.

you ignorant bastard!

shes an amazing poet, regardless of what she did involving an oven...

If you dont like her, thats fine, but dont dare condemn her, claiming that her work has nothign to do with her fame....

Mirror is one of the most powerful, sombre, strange, unique poems i have ever read in my life...
    people dismiss it too easily... its feckin awesome..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Daddio wrote:
    What are yall on about?! She's brilliant! The Arrival of the Bee-Box: Nuff said.

"I have simply ordered a box of maniacs."

Her metaphors catch me off-guard every time, they're so original.
    Have to agree with Daddio here. Why would you uneducated 18 year olds feel a need to pass opinion on a woman who is accaimed by thousands of intellectuals? You do not have the education to pass these comments nd maybe you should look at your own inflated sense of importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

To be Perfectly honest i have a major dislike for most of the poetry course this year, Repeated fifth year and i must say the poetry last year was superb, interesting and every poem was aorund half the length of this years.Dont really find anything good about plaths poetry personally, i know there good poems they just do not apeal to me.

• Advertisement

Rockerette wrote:
    you ignorant bastard!

shes an amazing poet, regardless of what she did involving an oven...

If you dont like her, thats fine, but dont dare condemn her, claiming that her work has nothign to do with her fame....

Mirror is one of the most powerful, sombre, strange, unique poems i have ever read in my life...
    people dismiss it too easily... its feckin awesome..
    Yeah, the image of the fish at the end is kind of disturbing but excellent nonetheless. People dismiss her too quickly a lot of the time.

Plath FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i absolutely love plath... and i agree mirror is fantastic! the image of the fish at the end is such a contrast to the aesthetics in the rest of the poem i think, shes brutally honest. people dismiss her as a morbid depressing poet especially when they hear about her suicide etc but nonetheless she has such an inspiring mind.
    about notes, sparknotes maybe ? or if its les urgent id get the patrick murray poetry notes book its pretty good

Patricide wrote:
    Dont really find anything good about plaths poetry personally, i know there good poems they just do not apeal to me.

see, at least you have the cop-on to recgonsise that just cos they dont appeal to you, it doesnt mean theyre bad!

i like most of the poets this year, my favourite is T S Eliot (GENIUS), followed by Plath. I also really loved Hardy's style, and i've been partial to Yeats since 1st year!
    Bishop im not sure about... some of hers (First Death in Nova Scotia and Sestina) are amazing i thought.. the latter being one of the saddest things i've ever read...
    Donne and Longley are my least favourite... and the final one... Hopkins, fits in soemwhere in the middle, his sonnets are wonderfully morbid and dark.. but i think some of the others lack something special...

^just my 2 cents on the poetry course........ im sure noone cares... but sure what the hell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Have to agree with Daddio here. Why would you uneducated 18 year olds feel a need to pass opinion on a woman who is accaimed by thousands of intellectuals? You do not have the education to pass these comments nd maybe you should look at your own inflated sense of importance.

this is a forum.... the general idea of which is to talk and pass comments on various subjects........

Rockerette wrote:
    see, at least you have the cop-on to recgonsise that just cos they dont appeal to you, it doesnt mean theyre bad!

i like most of the poets this year, my favourite is T S Eliot (GENIUS), followed by Plath. I also really loved Hardy's style, and i've been partial to Yeats since 1st year!
    Bishop im not sure about... some of hers (First Death in Nova Scotia and Sestina) are amazing i thought.. the latter being one of the saddest things i've ever read...
    Donne and Longley are my least favourite... and the final one... Hopkins, fits in soemwhere in the middle, his sonnets are wonderfully morbid and dark.. but i think some of the others lack something special...

^just my 2 cents on the poetry course........ im sure noone cares... but sure what the hell :D
    Pretty much my opinion funnily enough, my favourite Bishop poem is probably Sestina, then At The Fishhouses. Not sure about the rest of her poetry. Eliot IS a genius, I don't really think that many will really get to grips with him because he takes time and effort, great reward though. Hardy is one of my favourites on the course too, The Convergence of the Twain is excellent.

the day i realised what The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock was fully about.... at the risk of soudning cliche'd, i think it changed my life! *cue loser sign over my head*

but yes.. i love that man... Preludes too.. and Landscapes... "gently dig.. but not too deep"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Daddio wrote:

"Little bloody skirts!"
    Seriously? Tbh I think MacMonagle is an idiot, his glossaries assume that people are morons, and he uses ridiculously extraneous language (Think that's valid in context)

As regards the course:
    Eliot is a genius, Prufrock is one of my favourite poems of all time.
    I don't like Yeats on personal principle, but he's got some great ranty poetry, and some very emotional pieces too.
    Bishop has great imagery, but sestina never really struck me as much more than an attempt to write in a difficult format.
    Longely is very good, Laertes is a masterpiece of a poem in its universality. Change the names, and it could be anywhere.
    I'm not fond of Plath either tbh. I'd imagine that one of the reasons for her fame is that she was a female poet, but that;s purely hypothetical. And also purely my opinion. Mirror is fantastic though, her best poem.

Raphael wrote:
    but sestina never really struck me as much more than an attempt to write in a difficult format.

honestly, thats what i thought for a couple of months... we did it, and i thougth nothing much of it, but we were revising it a while back, and it suddenly all struck me...
    her, as a young child, living with her grandmother... her grandmothers tryin to hide the trouble and sadness.., but the child is aware soemthign is wrong.. longs for stability... and i just felt a very strong emotional vibe running through it... of course maybe im just over analysing it!

Ceaseifre was my favourite Longley poem ("i get down on my knees, and do what must be done... and kiss achilles hand, the killer of my son"), but i just thought the majority on the course were a bit..... meh...
    for the christmas exams though i did lie and say i thought he was fabulous :D

Raphael wrote:
    Seriously? Tbh I think MacMonagle is an idiot, his glossaries assume that people are morons, and he uses ridiculously extraneous language (Think that's valid in context)

As regards the course:
    Eliot is a genius, Prufrock is one of my favourite poems of all time.
    I don't like Yeats on personal principle, but he's got some great ranty poetry, and some very emotional pieces too.
    Bishop has great imagery, but sestina never really struck me as much more than an attempt to write in a difficult format.
    Longely is very good, Laertes is a masterpiece of a poem in its universality. Change the names, and it could be anywhere.
    I'm not fond of Plath either tbh. I'd imagine that one of the reasons for her fame is that she was a female poet, but that;s purely hypothetical. And also purely my opinion. Mirror is fantastic though, her best poem.
    Personally found the book handy enough. The notes are very accessible, that's what you need though, just a good understanding of the poems so you can draw your own conclusions. If your stuck in the commentary there's a few points to help, but its best to try and do it yourself. Worked for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Rockerette wrote:
    the day i realised what The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock was fully about.... at the risk of soudning cliche'd, i think it changed my life! *cue loser sign over my head*

but yes.. i love that man... Preludes too.. and Landscapes... "gently dig.. but not too deep"..

what is it really about.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i find sylvia plath depressing but interesting! after we did her poems i bought her book "The Bell Jar" and read it in a day..it's really gripping (even though it's mostly about her suicide attempts)! I love Bishop and don't mind Longely. I hate Hardy though...his poetry reminds me of something my 5 year old brother would write

When I set out for Lyonnesse,
    A hundred miles away,
    The rime was on the spray,
    And starlight lit my lonesomeness
    When I set out for Lyonnesse
    A hundred miles away.

The Bell Jar's opening paragraph I think sets the tone for the whole book, very grim and bleak. I like Hardy strangely enough, I loved Channel Firing and The Convergence of the Twain. I love the themes of chance and the passing of time.

:| wrote:
    what is it really about.....?

hhmmm.... well, my understanding, summed up..

1 mans awkwardness in society.. he doesnt fit in, and is tryin to search for an identity.. he sees all the thigns around him.. and realsies he was not meant to be like the rest of "them"... its like a journey of discovery.. but.. not a definite outcome..

"i am not prince hamlet.. nor was meant to be...." :rolleyes:

a bit heavy for a lot of people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ugh, I hate this "but what is the poem ABOUT" attitude

I just think that Prufrock is awesome

Raphael wrote:
    I just think that Prufrock is awesome

yup, every line just makes a statement in itself...

Advertisement