Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essential Production tools-sound forge

• 29-01-2006 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

I notice that people say you need a few things for production.

Reason
    Cubase
    Soundforge

I know what the first two do but what is soundforge used for. I know it s some kind of audio editor but do you need it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

What kinda music are you planning on recording/producing?

You dont need Reason. You need a sequencer most importantly. Different audio software is often a subjective matter and there are lots of rants online as to which is the best. It might be an idea to take a few different apps for a spin.
    A lot of people hate Cubase. I think its a great app myself but there are alternatives such as SONAR [amazing app- pc only], Logic [learning curve!!,mac only], Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Ableton Live [version 5].

Reason is not a neccessity at all. It is a great bit of software but not vital. Most peeps use reason reiwred to their host, i.e. as a plugin. Personally, I think Reason isnt easy to learn for a beginner, and you might be as well sticking with VST plugins.

Soundforge is considered to be the industry standard audio editor. The closest thing on a mac is Bias Peak, unfortunatly. Soundforge is quite an amazing bit of software. Audacity is a decent free alternative.

There are 2 main reasons you may want a good audio editor like Soundforge.
    Firstly for fine editing samples, such as a drum hit for example. You can tune it up or down, reverse it, crop it, add effects, find loop points, create fades, reduce noise and gazillions of other things, then save the new sample. Cubase etc allow for fine editing of samples, but for many reasons you really cant beat Soundforge.
    The other thing you may want to use soundforge for is mastering a finished track but many will do that within the sequencer or get someone else to do it [someone who knows what theyre doing!]

Hope this helps, let us know how you get along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Soundforge is great as its very quick and user friendly once you've get used to it. I have v4.5 which is a few years old now but exellent. It allows the use of 3rd party plugins which is handy as well.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Soundforge was discontinued wasn't it?

I use wavelab myself. Has a lot of features I don't use but its definetly up there with the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

nah, they're still churning out newer versions afaik (it's the de facto pc based sound editor... they'd be mad not to!)

it's being made by Sony these days instead of Sonic Foundry... still the same great product though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

womoma wrote:
    What kinda music are you planning on recording/producing?

You dont need Reason. You need a sequencer most importantly. Different audio software is often a subjective matter and there are lots of rants online as to which is the best. It might be an idea to take a few different apps for a spin.
    A lot of people hate Cubase. I think its a great app myself but there are alternatives such as SONAR [amazing app- pc only], Logic [learning curve!!,mac only], Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and Ableton Live [version 5].

Reason is not a neccessity at all. It is a great bit of software but not vital. Most peeps use reason reiwred to their host, i.e. as a plugin. Personally, I think Reason isnt easy to learn for a beginner, and you might be as well sticking with VST plugins.

Soundforge is considered to be the industry standard audio editor. The closest thing on a mac is Bias Peak, unfortunatly. Soundforge is quite an amazing bit of software. Audacity is a decent free alternative.

There are 2 main reasons you may want a good audio editor like Soundforge.
    Firstly for fine editing samples, such as a drum hit for example. You can tune it up or down, reverse it, crop it, add effects, find loop points, create fades, reduce noise and gazillions of other things, then save the new sample. Cubase etc allow for fine editing of samples, but for many reasons you really cant beat Soundforge.
    The other thing you may want to use soundforge for is mastering a finished track but many will do that within the sequencer or get someone else to do it [someone who knows what theyre doing!]

Hope this helps, let us know how you get along.

Tbh I find reason easy enough.

Listen mostly to techno/electro/ small bit of dnb and other stuff.

I want to get cubase and rewire reason to it.

Ableton is great but I just think reason rewired to cubase/soundforge is best. I feel comfortable with reason.

Could you rewire reason to ableton?? Mmm I'm sure you could to get some interesting new effects like beat repeat ect but it doesn't have half the stuff of sf or cubase, I'm guessing???

• Advertisement
Advertisement