Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

SonyEricsson w800i and k750i playback failure

• 29-01-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am just wondering if anybody has found this problem on the w800i or the k750i handset. I signed up to a network and received the w800i in early january but have had to replace the handset on 4 occasions tomorrow will be the fifth. The problem is the phone will work for a couple of days and then it wont even play the mp3 files embedded by sony or any other mp3 files. It gives a "playback failure" when I try to play any of the preloaded music or ringtones. I have contacted Sonyericsson customer support and they got me to download new software to the phone which I have done but that has not worked. I have just sent sonyericsson an email. I have even tried the k750i but same problem. I have even tried a different memory card and reset all settings on the phone. The movement of the logo on the screen will also stop. When I was on a landline to sony customer support I tried to play a video the phone froze and I had to take out the battery to start it again. It was suggested I send the phone in for repair but these are all brand new handsets surely they have had this problem already. I like the handset and its features (if they would work) but I am getting peed off with it.
    Regards
    Loggie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ive a w800i and havent had the slightest prob with it and i've loaded stuff on and off it all the time and the only thing thats happened is a earpiece came off the headphones but i got a spare off my mate

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

did you try updating the firmware using the Sony Ericcson Update Service (support pages will give relevant links)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

parsi wrote:
    did you try updating the firmware using the Sony Ericcson Update Service (support pages will give relevant links)

Yeah updated from the Update Service (correctly to the best of my knowledge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

might be a bit stupid, but did u get all the phones from the same shop? might be a dodgy batch? try changing shops next time (if possible)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Im having a problem with mine as well , my problem seems to be unable to write a long text message. I write the first text and the phone will not let me add any more characters into the message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Sarge wrote:
    Im having a problem with mine as well , my problem seems to be unable to write a long text message. I write the first text and the phone will not let me add any more characters into the message.

You can change that by going into messages -> settings -> text messages -> max message length

My W800 was crashing every couple of days in various random ways, it could happen when I was doing pretty much anything and sometimes the menus got messed up and stuff. However I got it back from repair a week ago and its been perfect so far.

wanwarlock wrote:
    might be a bit stupid, but did u get all the phones from the same shop? might be a dodgy batch? try changing shops next time (if possible)?
    Yeah I did get them all in the same shop and the shop are saying that it was probably a dodgy batch. I went back again and got another phone from a new batch which had the new software. That was last thursday and, touch wood, it seems to be ok. It is weird that it also happened with the k750i handset obviously all using the same dodgy software.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i have had the above prob with my k750i, but only occasionally and if you reset the phone it is fine afterward (for me at least).

it used to be much worse with the old FW, with the latest it only seems to happen once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

I got a W800i on Friday and on Saturday the logo animation froze. Had to switch it on and off to get it going again and now its fine, but the phone was only a few hours old :confused:

:mad: You are not going to believe this but the sixth w800i handset I have had has just given a "playback failed" message when I tried to play a music file (one of the sony preloaded mp3 files). This phone is from a new batch :confused: .
    It will work ok if you power it off and on again but that defeats the purpose. I got on to sony ericsson customer support this morning and they say that they are not aware of this problem. They suggest either sending the phone for repair or going back to the shop for a replacement. I like the w800i and don't want to change but this is getting ridiculous. Might have to go back to nokia :eek:

• Advertisement

sapper wrote:
    I got a W800i on Friday and on Saturday the logo animation froze. Had to switch it on and off to get it going again and now its fine, but the phone was only a few hours old :confused:
    That would also happen on some of the handsets I had and have replaced. Check the software is the new version by pressing the keys as follows (ignore what appears on the screen)
    right once(on the joystick),
    asterix*
    left twice
    asterix*
    left once
    asterix*
    then go into Service info then Software info. The newest version is R1AA008.
    Mine has this version and is still giving trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Just a shot in the dark here - but is it the same file that gives you the playback failure? What sort of bitrates are your video and music files that you are trying to play? The phone can only handle certain bitrates and anything exceeding these limits won't play on the phone.

Just a thought, because being on your sixth W800i!:confused:

Have you checked out esato to see if other W800i users are having similar problems?

No not just one file any mp3 or video file. These are all files preloaded by sonyericsson. They are sony's song files and phone demo video so should have no problem playing. I have deliberately not loaded any of my own files onto the phone to see if that might have caused the problem but not the case. All sonyericsson can say is try a master reset. That works as does powering off and on the phone but the problem reoccurs in a couple of days.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

this is a well known issue and can be found mentioned on most of the forums so sony certainly know about it. it seems to happen more often if you use a downloaded theme. symptoms are theme freezes, ringtones and sounds don't work and you get a black outline around menu items rather than the proper selection icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

oh man... i feel so sorry for u.... just out of interest, which shop is it???

wanwarlock wrote:
    oh man... i feel so sorry for u.... just out of interest, which shop is it???
    Its Meteor in the Square, Tallaght. They have been very apologetic of course and just exchange the handsets each time but now its not funny anymore. Meteor are cheap for calls but their selection of handsets is not great none of the other phones they have interest me. I heard they might be getting the nokia n-seies in a month or two so might hold out and keep changing the w800i till they get the nokia in. I think they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Hi Loggie- just got that "Playback failed" message trying to replay a video, and then again on the demo tour thing. Switched in on and off again and it's working fine now. Is this to be the start of a downhill slope? I got mine in Meteor Henry St on Friday...

sapper wrote:
    Hi Loggie- just got that "Playback failed" message trying to replay a video, and then again on the demo tour thing. Switched in on and off again and it's working fine now. Is this to be the start of a downhill slope? I got mine in Meteor Henry St on Friday...
    It doesn't look good for you Sapper. Restarted mine after the "playback failed" message earlier today. I noticed the theme animation had stopped and tried to play an mp3 or the midi files on the phone but no joy. Shortly after that I got two incoming calls from the same number which I attempted to answer. It did appear to answer the call and could I see the caller id but could not hear anything. I had to power off and on the handset again and is working ok now. This also happened on one of the first w800i handsets which I had returned. Meteor Tallaght have told me that sonyericsson are exchanging memory cards as some may be faulty but I really don't think the memory card is the problem.

Advertisement