Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got wireless bb - trying to connect to desktop ..

• 29-01-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I've just set up my eircom wireless bb to my laptop (took me 3 hours ... couldn't figure out how to turn on wireless on my laptop ... my dh walked in about two minutes ago and read the instructions for the laptop and told me how to do it ......needless to say my head is wrecked ....!!! ... laugh away - he did!)..

Anyway, I want to connect my desktop to the modem also but the ethernet cable I have wont connect into my desktop because the connection is a different shape (too big) for my desktop ... Arggh:( ... do I just have to get an adapter in order for it to fit in and work for me ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

You will need a Nic ( Network Interface card) which all mod computer have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

.... that sounds complicated!

Can I not just get some kind of adaptor to put on the end of the ethernet cable that I have coming out of one (of four) lan spaces on the back of the wireless modem I just got? (does that kind of make sense ?) ..... my desktop is about, god know, maybe 8 years old ? so the telephone socket on the back of it is the smaller size .... ?...

Its not complicated at all. Would you be comf with install a Card into your pc? Would could always connect its via usb.

thanks for reply ....

so - are you telling me I can't just get some kind of adapter for the ethernet cable to go into the back of my desktop?

If I can't - to install this card ... do I have to open up the base unit ?? or are you saying I just have to buy something and plug it into a usb port?..

(thanks for this)...

Never had eircom but there should be a usb cable for the modem also... Do you can via that to the pc surely your computer has a usb port... If all comes to all i have a few Nic around....But try the usb.........The one of the left should go into the modem and the right to the computer

USB6.JPG

• Advertisement

I think I may have completely confused you, sorry.

I have my Netopia wireless modem set up - to my laptop. I want to share this internet connection with my desktop. At the back of this wireless modem there are four lan spaces .... I wanted to use the ethernet (like telephone cable?) cable to connect my desktop to this wireless modem ... I can plug one of the ends into the back of the modem ... but when I got to put the other end into the back of my desktop where the telephone socket symbol is ... the shape is different (more of a rectangular shape than square like a regular telephone socket ...) ....

(sorry, told you I was having a bad day!)

Ah right welll then you will need a nic card.... Cheap yet useful card

Ah right welll then you will need a nic card.... Cheap yet useful card

OK! ..Thanks!

So, where do I get one (how much about?) and how to I put it all together (baby steps!) .... thanks so so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Pick one up for a tenner, "10/100MB ethernet PCI network card" or similar, get someone to put it in for you if your not sure ;)

There about 10euro... I have a few here if ya want i can post one to you...
    http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/install-pci-cards.html

saves me typing.

• Advertisement

thanks for that....

Is it a matter of opening up my base unit/hard drive (thingy!) ?..

or is it a matter of just connecting ...?..

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

you'll have to open it up.

You will have to take off the cover of the case.... 4 screws at the back of the case and walla

thanks.

powerhousedan ... do you sell a 'kvc switch' also ... think that's what its called - basically I want to use one monitor/one mouse/one keyboard with two base units (to be able to switch between them .. my little one has one for games and I have one for me! and as I have one desk it would be the easiest option) ....

No i dont have a K switch at all..Post in the wanted section i am sure someone from boards will able to help ya out....

good idea.

So I'd like one of your pci network cards - can I buy direct from you/do I need anything else?... Will I just pm you? thanks.

Its a Kvm switch aswell.... Just pm your address and i will send it tomorrow.

thanks I'm pm you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

If your desktop pc has usb you could always use usb Network Card.

Here's one for under 25

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309566&cks=PRL

As regards KVM switch here is one for 35

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303977&cks=PLS

Hope this helps

Digiking

:) Thats just perfect for what I need ... saves me opening up the case /getting electric shocks !!

Absolutely perfect ... I'll go order them both now. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

Perfecto!!! made my day.... I'll go order.

Thanks thats great... perfect. I'll go order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

You're very welcome justagirl

Just glad i was of assistance...

Digiking

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

if you're pc is 8 years old then make sure it can use usb - it should use windows 98 SE (at worst) to support usb

thanks for that .. its win 98 ... so thats grand .... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

I have exactly the same problem , small phone like connection at back of 1999 Pc running Win98 . Did you get the "10/100MB ethernet PCI network card" ? or the "Sunsway USB2.0-ETHERNET 10/100 - network adapter" and are you now living Happily Ever After ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pjq wrote:
    I have exactly the same problem , small phone like connection at back of 1999 Pc running Win98 . Did you get the "10/100MB ethernet PCI network card" ? or the "Sunsway USB2.0-ETHERNET 10/100 - network adapter" and are you now living Happily Ever After ?

The small phone like connection is most likely a dial up modem. You would be better off getting the PCI network card as unless you are running windows 98 SE and the SE must be emphasised! you will not be able to use a usb device.

Great , I have SE and usb , and because Im surfing on slow dial up I open all the items that might be pertinent and then switch off and read them .

So now I have read another post where Justagirl sold the ethernet/usb thingy http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054909014&referrerid=&highlight=+USB+2.0+Fast+Ethernet+Adapter+
    for reasons best known to her/his self.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pjq wrote:
    Great , I have SE and usb , and because Im surfing on slow dial up I open all the items that might be pertinent and then switch off and read them .

So now I have read another post where Justagirl sold the ethernet/usb thingy http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054909014&referrerid=&highlight=+USB+2.0+Fast+Ethernet+Adapter+
    for reasons best known to her/his self.

Get the network card and it will also leave your usb free for other uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

dub45 wrote:
    The small phone like connection is most likely a dial up modem. You would be better off getting the PCI network card as unless you are running windows 98 SE and the SE must be emphasised! you will not be able to use a usb device.
    Wait a sec, I have used all sorts of USB devices on a Win 98 machine (the original release). USB mice and hard drives and mp3 players and printers and scanners. Installing the supplied Win98 SE drivers always worked...

Either way it doesn't matter as he has SE anyway. But I have seen a couple of issues with USB modems. Ethernet seems to be a tad more reliable from what I've seen. Also, if windows needs to be reinstalled, it can be easier to get drivers for a network card (most cards seem to be intel or Realtec 8139 series cards) than an eircom-specific ADSL modem. You need to keep the eircom CD.

Bought the card , easy to install , BB ment to be connected today but was already working on Fri. Thanks for your help..

Advertisement