Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max. Homepage size?

Options
  • 29-01-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

When im doing sites (poster sites mostly) i generaly try to keep the total size of the homepage to be abouy 120KB - 150KB. Is this ok for people on dial up or could i increase it a bit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

thats actaully too big for dial-up, according to http://www.websiteoptimization.com/
    100k or more will exceed the attention span of most regular users.
    Try to use CSS and Compress your image files better.

Use the Web Speed analyser on websiteoptimization.com to get a good breakdown on how your website is fairing for different connection speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i think people who are still on dial up's attention span has increased over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I guess it's only human nature to want to hear a nice simple single figure answer to a question like this, but I don't believe there is one, i.e. I don't believe anything "magical" happens once a site exceeds 100Kb.

For example, if the site has "killer content" users may be willing to wait that little bit longer for the home page to load.

If the site is competing heavily with other similar sites, then a significantly longer download time than those other sites could be a problem, whatever that time is.

One important question to ask yourself is what are you planning to use the extra ??k for? Will it add enough value to the home page to justify itself?

Remember there are ways of designing pages so that the most important content is displayed first, while the less important content is still downloading, so there isn't even a single optimal "load time" figure.

In short, there's no simple answer (except to say that the acceptable size now is no doubt larger than pre-broadband days)... use your judgement! :)

Advertisement