Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Irish...!!??

• 29-01-2006 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

Any one else totally fecked in honours irish? I actually think i'm going to fail it, the mocks anyway...might salvage a D in the real thing...a C would be brilliant..but...hmm... its just so hard... all the poems, and stair na gaeilge aarrgghhh!!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 polkadots

Ah it's not that bad really!:)
    A lot of people seem to have an aversion towards it but for me it'd be up there with history as one of the most easy and interesting subjects..I think you either love it or you hate it tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

I'd be one that'd hate it so... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

*Shrug* seems grand to me. Fair bit of content to take in, but other than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

i go to an irish school and have to say i find the poetry demeaning. 'gealt' fo example, makes my skin crawl - 'a bhriefcase' for god's sake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

polkadots wrote:
    it'd be up there with history as one of the most easy and interesting subjects..I think you either love it or you hate it tbh..

nah noto true - i love the language, but dislike the subject in school. i dont HATE it, cos i like ht language... but i just find the coursework/exam a bit.. meh.. and crap really...

and nope, i dont think its one of the easiet subjects. Im doing honours irish, but for me anyway, i think you coudl get an A1 in Physics... Maths.. Geog.. History.. or English before an A1 in Irish...
    and im not bad at it at all.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I never noticed how hard it is, I don't know how I'll do. I guess I'll see in a month or so, could be good or very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

i tink its okay but im ****ed when it comes to star ne gaeilge...all the class has cheated it out for the past year and a half.so much to learn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

im so so fecked, my irish mocks are on tues and wed and... eugh.
    i love irish but theres just so much on the course! i think its a very hard subject to do well in, im aiming to scrape a pass (i hope) in the mocks and maybe aim for a b3/c1 in the actual exam... dunno if thats wishful thinking or not though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

mel(",) wrote:
    i tink its okay but im ****ed when it comes to star ne gaeilge...all the class has cheated it out for the past year and a half.so much to learn!

stair na gaeilge is the least of my worries! its not worth very many marks compared to say the essay or the oral!
    Im fairly fecked in honours irish overall, getting grinds but i'm still dooooomed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

the oral is what im worried about! i know the words but jus cant speak it out loud i freexe up and get all shy?! so annoying! stair na gaeliges a handy few marks because you can kinda guess half of it even if ya dont know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It's not too bad, except for some of the poetry which is written in some form of irish that I simply do not understand fully which means learning it in English. No consistency in the level of poetry at all.

Apart from that its grand but I certainly don't want to write some ludicrous essay about "Irishness" or some cack like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

grimloch wrote:
    Apart from that its grand but I certainly don't want to write some ludicrous essay about "Irishness" or some cack like that.

i did that in the christmas exams!

"Eireannachais - cad é seo?" or something.... i dunno why the hell i did it, but it got somethin like 68 for it, which wasnt tooo bad i guess.. I have no idea why i chose it though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Rockerette wrote:
    "Eireannachais - cad é seo?" or something.... i dunno why the hell i did it, but it got somethin like 68 for it, which wasnt tooo bad i guess.. I have no idea why i chose it though :confused:

I did that one for my christmas tests too. "We play sports in Ireland, therefore that is Irishness" is a synopsis of what our sample essays were like. Woeful stuff.

I loved the aul stories you used to write for your J.C. You'd get in to all sorts of mad adventures in those days.

You'd start at the disco and someone would get shot and then you'd be the hero of the day after you chased him down a backalley and apprehended him before handing him over to Johnny law. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

grimloch wrote:

You'd start at the disco and someone would get shot and then you'd be the hero of the day after you chased him down a backalley and apprehended him before handing him over to Johnny law. Great stuff.

And you'd go home, have a cup of tea and tell your parents, who would never in a million years believe you, but you of course would never forget that day.. "Ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad go deo ar an lá sin". That phrase got me through so many stories for the JC. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I love Irish and am a competent speaker, but when it comes to grammer and writing in general I am absolutely screwed. I'm being absolutely honest when I say my writing of Irish is worse than when I was doing the Junior Cert. Maybe to the fact that last year we had a teacher who was doing his last year of teaching and absolutely did not give a ****, and just told us stories for the whole year. This year my inability is compounded by our teacher who is fresh out of (possibly still in) college, and whilst he's trying his hardest is getting me nowhere. I'm seeing all this stuff about the different Tuiseals and I'm clueless.

Thing is, I'm quite good at English and grammer generally, but for some reason I'm terrible at Irish. Nothing's going in, vocab or anything at the moment. I'm majorly fuxored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

you cant learn all the notes, its impossible, best thing to do is to learn a bit of vocab and learn how to answer a question with that, like make it up yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

OP: If you think you'll only get a D, drop down to pass. I was getting 45/50 in everything i did for honours, i dropped to pass and got an A2 in the real thing. its worth a try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

less points..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Any one else totally fecked in honours irish? I actually think i'm going to fail it, the mocks anyway...might salvage a D in the real thing...a C would be brilliant..but...hmm... its just so hard... all the poems, and stair na gaeilge aarrgghhh!!! :eek:

Ah memories...you seem to be EXACTLY the way I was last year! Don't worry, I got 41 or something in the mocks and managed a B1 in June! Although, that was based on some good prediction work re poetry etc, and I think you have a different course this year...?

The Stair na Gaeilge was the bit I was dreading the most too, don't know why, it doesn't even carry too many marks, but leave that till the last couple of months-you only need 4 or 5 points on whatever topics you pick, and a lot of them are kinda the same anyway.

Somebody mentioned something about the orals, I remember being really shy about speaking last year too but in the weeks leading up to the orals you'll get plenty of practice and it's amazing the difference it will make. Also, try watching TG4 a bit too, it'll really help!

Ok, I'll shut up now, good luck everyone!:)

EDIT: If you're thinking about dropping down to pass, make sure you talk to your teacher first and really listen to him/her. I was dead set on dropping down last year, but my teacher flatly refused to let me (even though she actually had no right to do that.....) Anyway, in my case, I was just lazy and ordinary level seemed to be the easy way out, but I was SO glad that I stayed in honours. Just think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

I don't hate irish but i don't exactly love it either! i'm screwed in the orals...i really need help in that department..i've found i've gotten better though by talking to myself and a couple of my friends are thinking about meeting up for an hour on a sunday afternoon and having a gossip...in Irish!!

Stair na Gaeilge isn't that bad really...I'm not going to bother learning any of the notes on poets//authors etc because you can easily get by on all the other stuff...an ruraíocht, meath na gaeilge etc!

Prós are looking do-able to me at the moment...there are only 5 to do so just have to go over them really and make sure i know themes, change in characters etc

Filíocht...BLAH! Like we really need to know all these Irish poems in the course of every day life!!

• Advertisement

Nah i'm not gonna drop down to pass coz of less points n stuff... ah no i'd say i'll pass it, its just.. gotta put sooo much work into it between now and June...sigh....feck the mocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

ok, its 55 for an A2 in ordinary, and 55 for a D1 in honours - why put extra stress on yourself for the same points???

I don't hate irish but i don't exactly love it either! i'm screwed in the orals...i really need help in that department..i've found i've gotten better though by talking to myself and a couple of my friends are thinking about meeting up for an hour on a sunday afternoon and having a gossip...in Irish!!
    That's a good idea. If some people are having trouble with the orals because they get shy, you need to start practising with everyone. Get used to speaking the language and to get across your point, even if you don't know all the words.

I always found the short stories a lot easier to write because you can do absolutely anything you like with them. I avoided essays all year. however I don't recommend that since I got into my exam and couldn't translate a single short story title.

Do the irish teachers of people in here speak irish in class?

As for the poetry, if it's too much, get the basic idea of each poem, learn the words for metaphor and simile and that, and figure out how to waffle on about the meaning of the poem. Pick the odd word or line from it to back up a point, it's not too hard, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Quote:

grimloch wrote:

And you'd go home, have a cup of tea and tell your parents, who would never in a million years believe you, but you of course would never forget that day.. "Ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad go deo ar an lá sin". That phrase got me through so many stories for the JC.

When I read grimloch's post there, the exact same phrase occurred to me, as well as:

"Trí bliana ó shin a tharla sé, ach tá an cuimhne an lae chomh soiléir i m'intinn go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné" :D

rugbug86 wrote:
    ok, its 55 for an A2 in ordinary, and 55 for a D1 in honours - why put extra stress on yourself for the same points???

yes but i may get more than a D1 if i work at it...aiming for a C1/C2 so the most i could get in ordinary is 60 yeah? i dunno...just seems like im better off to keep at it for now anyway.......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

bluewolf wrote:
    Do the irish teachers of people in here speak irish in class?

my teacher always speaks irish in class to us..in our class we're not allowed to speak english! it's the same in my french class too

my teacher always speaks irish in class to us..in our class we're not allowed to speak english! it's the same in my french class too
    That's good then, it's a start.
    But yeah, practise on your own as much as possible.
    Even if you have to try and get your family to only speak irish to you! ;)
    The main point is to look comfortable speaking the language, and throw in a few fancy words, rather than memorising a bajillion phrases.
    Plus if you're talking and you try to say something you don't know, then find out how to say it in irish, you'd probably learn it better...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

When I read grimloch's post there, the exact same phrase occurred to me, as well as:

"Trí bliana ó shin a tharla sé, ach tá an cuimhne an lae chomh soiléir i m'intinn go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné" :D

Dear God yes! "Tá siad gréannta i m'intinn, agus is ann a fanfaidh siad go lá mo bháis..."

Never mind the memories it's those stupid lines that we'll never forget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Funkstard wrote:
    I love Irish and am a competent speaker, but when it comes to grammer and writing in general I am absolutely screwed. I'm being absolutely honest when I say my writing of Irish is worse than when I was doing the Junior Cert. Maybe to the fact that last year we had a teacher who was doing his last year of teaching and absolutely did not give a ****, and just told us stories for the whole year. This year my inability is compounded by our teacher who is fresh out of (possibly still in) college, and whilst he's trying his hardest is getting me nowhere. I'm seeing all this stuff about the different Tuiseals and I'm clueless.

Thing is, I'm quite good at English and grammer generally, but for some reason I'm terrible at Irish. Nothing's going in, vocab or anything at the moment. I'm majorly fuxored
    Im the exact same. Im a fluent Irish speaker but when it comes to writing it I make some retarded mistakes. Simple things, my vocabulary is grand but Im not really looking forward to the Irish mock.. argh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

best thing is not to panic.
    i got a B3 in honour irish in leaving.
    we did nothing in 5th year but got a change of teacher in 6th year and we worked hard from there.
    if ure irish is not great, get the basics right-verbs, grammar,tense etc.
    then have a few simply written essays that you half know.
    work hard on understanding comprehension(this will help with everything) and take it from there.
    good luck. its not that bad.

Advertisement