Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

induction hob/cooking

• 29-01-2006 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wasn't really sure where to put this.

Need to replace the old electric hob. I've been looking around for a while. I'm told that induction cooking is the business. The model I was most interested in was the De Dietrich 80cm 4 Induction Zones Hob (model: DTI318J). I'd have to change all my pots n pans though :(

Anyone recommend induction cooking? How is it compared to standard electric rings or halogen? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ambrose :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You have to have the right cookware to use Induction, ie not aluminium, or glass.
    You can only use cast iron and some types of stainless that have a special base.
    Why not use gas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yeah it's a bit of a nuisance having to use induction cookware. If I go induction, I'd have to get rid of all but 1 pan. Is there any sort of ring/plate I can place on top of an induction ring, so I could use a normal cookware? I've some nice pots I'd like to keep, at least until I could afford to get some new cookware :)

I was thinking of gas. But I wasn't sure if it was worth getting gas installed unless I changed the central heating from oil to gas too. (I wouldn't use bottled gas.)

Apparently the induction hobs are as good as gas. So I've been told. Hence why I was asking for opinions :)

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Go for gas, it's the biz. Induction just doesn't feel as intuitive if you know what I mean. I'd always go gas for preference. Why wouldn't you use the gas bottles out of curiousity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

My girlfriends family have induction hobs and I think they're great. Works just as good as gas and looks neater if you have a modern kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

For anyone who thinks induction works as well as gas....

Can you wok on it?

Genuine question. I can't see how you can do it without a flat-bottom wok, nor how you can get the heat up the sides as well as you can with gas, but I'm open to correction.

And what about ovens?

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

whats the difference between halogen and induction, any of the pictures ive seen they look very similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Gas gas gas gas gas.
    If you wish to keep your sanity. Use gas.

I suppose it depends on how much you cook.

You cannot do hollandaise on a bleedin inducion hob.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

am so used to electric boring oven that i get all confussled using a gas oven or fan oven.

though i prefer cooking some stuff on the gas hob....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cooking was invented on fire, we have got all kinds of everything since then but nothing beats a flame for cooking :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Have to disagree with the anti induction hob arguments. I had gas previously and now have an induction hob and wouldn't go back. The induction hob is cleaner and faster to heat up than gas ever will be. Only downside to the induction hob is if the electricity goes. I have even seen on a few cookery programmes recently that Chefs were using induction hobs. For those who would still like to have the gas option, I know de Dietrick do a combination hob with one or two gas rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Hi,

Weve been using an induction hob for a year now since moving house and would never go back to gas!!It's absouteely wonderful..you do have total control(and that had been a concern of mine before I changed).
    Re changing your pots...a quick test to see if your pots are suitable is to see if a magnet will stick to their base...if it does they're induction friendly...we were lucky that we didnt need to change all our pots...and I often use the wok..it's perfect.I couldn't praise the induction hob more!!Go for it.
    By the way we bought ours on ebay for a great price(saved a few hundred)..we've a de detriech 900mm hob.

Advertisement