Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Laptop to PC .. Im going MAAD

Options
  • 29-01-2006 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I could do with some help with this one..

Trying to switch all my stuff to the new PC from my laptop. Both on XP, (One Home, One Media Edition), Both on the MSHOME workgroup.

Im using a crossover cable thats working fine (used it on 2 other PCs last week).

No matter what I try.. the network wizards, or giving both IP addresses and transferring across, I cant get them to connect.

Ive opened the C Drive to full sharing on the laptop temporarily to get this done, and still no joy. When I search for computers on the workgroup, I see the PC and the laptop but when I click on the laptop icon, nothing happens and then it times out.

When I set IP addresses on both, and try to ping across, that wont work either.

Aaagh!! When I use the network connection wizard , the connect to another PC Directly option is greyed out for some reason.

Any ideas ? Its a pain!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Have you looked at firewall settings ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yeah the settings look fine..

I wonder is it something to do with this netsetup.exe job.. having to make a netsetup CD on the first go. Very odd.. Surely static IP's should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

First step:

Goto control panel, network connections, properties of the LAN connection, TCP/IP properties and set 'Use the following IP' to 192.168.1.10 on the new PC. Set laptop to 192.168.1.11 in the same fashion. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 no need for gateway.

(connect your X-over cable)

Second step:

On the new PC...Start>run>cmd. At the flashing cursor in the black box type ping 192.168.1.11. It should come back "Reply from 192.168.1.11..." and a few other bits n pieces of info.

Do it vice-versa. If successful replies, you have connectivity.

Then create a new folder called say, test, on new PC on the root of c:\. Do the sharing on it keeping the default share name. That done, goto your laptop and right click MY COMPUTER desktop icon. Select map network drive. Choose a drive letter, then in the folder box, type, \\'new pc computer name'\test to find out the conputer name, goto the black screen and type in hostname press enter. That exercise will give you a drive letter in windows explorer to which you can drag and drop files. Some times NT/security permissions may have to be changed as in read/write etc. Or as with XP Home, there's a tick box, Allow network users change my files.

See how you get on with that.

Advertisement