Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi has got to be the new Maradona!

• 29-01-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Watching the Barca's La Liga game against Mallorca, pretty boring game up until the 81st minute 0-1 when Lionel Messi comes on. He is on about a minute and he scores a cracker , 2 mins later nearly scores his second from a great pass by giuly , and he actually scores his second in the 86th min. Well what can I say , we talk about Rooney being the best youngster in football well there someone snapping at his heels for that title. I cant wait to see him in the World Cup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Someone in the nike factory went a bit mad with the highlighter when designing Barce's jersey.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's no secret that Messi is the most exciting young player in the World at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Definately , its actually great when you hear the English soccer pundits talking about Rooney being the best in world for his age , when you have some like Lionel Messi banging the goals in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What are you on about 0-0 at the 81st minute?
    Giuly scored in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Willem D wrote:
    Definately , its actually great when you hear the English soccer pundits talking about Rooney being the best in world for his age , when you have some like Lionel Messi banging the goals in.

Rooney 3rd season banging them in and playing exceptionally well for club and country.
    Messi 5 months playing well scored 4 goals for club and nearly a full international.

Bit of a difference, im sure in Argentina the media are also agreeing Messi is the new Maradona.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maradona said he's the new Maradona, and true to form he got sent off on him debut for Argentina after 4 minutes.

He's more likeable that Rooney, I'll give him that.

http://www.lionel-messi.net/images/lionel-messi-maradona-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

zabbo wrote:
    Maradona said he's the new Maradona, and true to form he got sent off on him debut for Argentina after 4 minutes.
    ...and against Hungary, the team Maradona made his debut against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Unfortunatley, Maradonnas blessing has turned out be something of a hex, as many 'new Maradonnas' proclaimed by Diego himself have all failed to live up to expectation, the most notable being Ariel ortega.

As for Messi, well he is a rare talent. For a guy of 18 he plays with such guile, and doesnt look out of place in the Barca team at all.

However, to say that he is better than Rooney is a big statement which only time will tell. Remember, Rooney is Man Utds main man already, and arguably Englands as well, Messi is only just starting out.

As for him playing in the World Cup, well this is somewhat debatable as a few Spanish clubs are trying to get him suspended/banned over something to do with his passport. Can remember the details, but if successful, he will iss the WC. Ill go look on google or something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He also pretty much single handedly won the World youth championships with Argentina scoring 7 goals and captaining them even though he was 3 years younger than the age limit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I would say that Rooney is no longer an 'up and coming talent'. As the previous poster said he is established as the player the Man U team revolve around. Rooney has already shown he is a world class player, the question is whether or not he will become one of the worlds greats. He may fall short, but he has already shown his class over the course of a few seasons so I dont think he is an 'up and coming talent' any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

gimmick wrote:
    As for him playing in the World Cup, well this is somewhat debatable as a few Spanish clubs are trying to get him suspended/banned over something to do with his passport. Can remember the details, but if successful, he will iss the WC. Ill go look on google or something now.

No longer an issue, it was only a problem at the start of the season. He has dual citizenship as he has lived in Spain for over 5 years now but Barca messed up the registration by reistering him as an EU player before he had obtained the passport. Certain clubs mainly Deportive La Coruna were fighting to have Messi suspended for the year and for Barca to lose all points won where Messi was named in the squad. Barcelona won their case and Messi is allowed play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just saw the highlights from this game. wow.... he was amazing. the 3rd goal was just absolutely amazing. what a pass and what a finish.

pity about the poor atmosphere at the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Mark cheers for that. Only when ye download it and unzip it with Winrar, ye try to open it with realplayer, or mediaplayer, won't work. What is and how do ye play a .mkv file

its ok, got it working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

"New Maradona" is a stupid tag to put on anyone, but he has the potential to be the best player in the world one day, no question. Imagine, a few years down the line, Barca will have a 27 or so year old Ronaldinho and a 21/22 year old Messi playing behind Eto'o, and they work flawlessly together already. Now that is frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Barca will have a 27 or so year old Ronaldinho and a 21/22 year old Messi playing behindHenry or RVN

Etoo misses easy goals in CL seemingly Rijkaard wants one of the above this summer.

Has 50 million to spend and Utd will take it as Rossi and the Glazers would like it to happen :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Barca came in with a 50 million euro bid for Ruud, I doubt United could logically refuse. He would be 30 by then.
    However, I imagine they will get Henry in the summer, I'm just imaging how many goals Ruud would score in that barca team, it'd be unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Roddy23 wrote:
    its ok, got it working
    What did you use to play it? I used VLC Player and Media Player Classic (both recommended for this file extension apparantly) and neither work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I used VLC Player and Media Player Classic (both recommended for this file extension apparantly) and neither work.

Media Player Classic definately works for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

PHB wrote:
    If Barca came in with a 50 million euro bid for Ruud, I doubt United could logically refuse. He would be 30 by then.
    However, I imagine they will get Henry in the summer, I'm just imaging how many goals Ruud would score in that barca team, it'd be unreal

Surely Barca wouldn't be interested in a striker like RVN ? One goal from outside the box in his Man U career, do me a favour !

As for Messi, he is class.

ye have to download a program called matroska, it can be used as a plugin for media player. once downloaded, install and open ujp media player, should be working,

download available from here
    http://ld-anime.subforge.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Roddy23 wrote:
    ye have to download a program called matroska, it can be used as a plugin for media player. once downloaded, install and open ujp media player, should be working,

download available from here
    http://ld-anime.subforge.net/

or just watch Revista De La Liga later today on Sky......

Cheers for the help guys but I couldn't be arsed downloading yet another media player to watch one file.
    BolBill wrote:
    or just watch Revista De La Liga later today on Sky......
    Check my location. No Sky Sports here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Cheers for the help guys but I couldn't be arsed downloading yet another media player to watch one file.

Check my location. No Sky Sports here.
    Its not another media player, its a codec.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/Lazy_Man_MKV_download.htm

You just install it and you can watch all .mkv files with Windows Media player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He has touted as the new Maradona for a good while now. He will the young star of the WC'06

eirebhoy wrote:
    Its not another media player, its a codec.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/Lazy_Man_MKV_download.htm

You just install it and you can watch all .mkv files with Windows Media player.
    .....that would work too.....

Sorry. I am very lazy due to my lack of sleep last night. And silly. :o Thanks for that and cheers again to everyone else who replied to me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Surely Barca wouldn't be interested in a striker like RVN ? One goal from outside the box in his Man U career, do me a favour !

Yeh, alsoa couple of other goals :)
    Thing about Ruud is that he holds up the ball better than any striker i've seen, and teams like Barca always need a player who can hold up the ball, pass it, and then get back into the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the most United would get for Ruud is 20million in my opinion, which is simply not worth it, it would cost a lot more for us to replace him witha younger player. It was rumoured last season that we offered Ruud in a swap for Eto'o and barcelona turned it down, wanting something like 15million on top too.

From what i have heard, the initial plan was to sign rooney the summer after we did, and sell ruud that same summer, but the rooney plan was brought forward and Ruuds injury and loss of form made him unsellable in the summer.

I can't imagine Barcelona going for Ruud at this stage, It will be either Henry or Torres imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement