Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we call them Tackies?

Options
  • 29-01-2006 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Whenever I call them tackies I get funny looks off people not from Limerick, they ask why do you call them tackies and I have no clue. Isnt it very strange that only people from limerick call them this in such a small country?? So anyone know where this word comes from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

Legend has it a local priest travelled to west Africa, they call trainers tackies in Africa also. The priest then brought the term back and used it during a sermon in a Limerick church.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

So back than priests set the latest trends.. i see, and there sermons were about footwear, still strange it didnt spread outside limerick and that it has stuck here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's not just us who call them tackies. I used to work with a guy from Boston, England (it's in Lincolnshire) and one day he made reference to his tackies. I asked him what he said as I was surprised that he used that word and he started to explain that in his town, trainers are called tackies. We both thought it was pretty funny that they're called the same thing in Limerick. However I have no idea why we call them that.

I do know that in Belfast they are called "goddys" (not sure if I've spelt that right). Maybe there's a book in it? The different local names for trainers and the story behind it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ok, just found this;

http://sneakers.pair.com/g-t.htm

Looks like rubberbandits' rumour has some truth to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

at least we dont call them "sneakers", by gum i hate that word!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

iguana wrote:
    Ok, just found this;

http://sneakers.pair.com/g-t.htm

Looks like rubberbandits' rumour has some truth to it.

Thank fcuk it has some truth to it, for a while there I doubted it and thought it came to me in a dream. What a pathetic dream that would be, it would be right up there with the time I dreamed that Dick Spring was out my back garden picking snooker balls out of the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Arathorn wrote:
    So back than priests set the latest trends.. i see, and there sermons were about footwear, still strange it didnt spread outside limerick and that it has stuck here.

probably pissing and moaning about people wearing "tackies" and not shoes into the church. :)

Advertisement