Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL wireless set up with linksys WRT54G router

Options
  • 29-01-2006 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

it is just not working

i have connected the router to the PCs ethernet port and the cable modem to the router as requested. I have used the following settings:

connection type: DHCP
    host: blank
    domain: Blank

should i enter values for host and domain ? if so what are the settings for NTL?
    am i right in selecting DHCP for connection type?

does someone have tips for getting NTL wireless working?

i have done all the unplgging modem, powering down PC etc to try to get the PC to pick up my settings but i get "limited or no connectivity"

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Goresh

i was having the same problem...

only just got it sorted. what i had to do was set the linksys to dhcp, plug out the ntl modem and the linksys router. then flush the dns on the laptop. turn on the ntl cable modem. give it a minute until the ready light stops flashing. turn on the linksys, connect the two and wait until the orange "link" light. then connect the wireless laptop to the router. i got an ip address no problem and its working fine...

the only problem i'm having now is i can only get one ip address... no matter what i do it won't allow me to connect a second machine to it.

head wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I helped a friend configure his WRT54G recently and noticed the following:
    (1) His router's web interface and the WRT54G admin interface had the same IP (192.168.1.1), so there was a conflict. I have to change the WRT54G base IP
    (2) Had to set the WRT54G up do a PPPoE connection
    (3) Make sure that the NTL modem is plugged into one of the 4 ethernet ports and not the Internet port on the WRT54G, and
    (4) Set router Advanced Router to ROUTER on WRT54G config

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi ikoonman,

I would have thought that a

a> CAT5 would be run from the NTL box LAN port to the WAN port on the Linksys
    b> Linksys WAN port set to DHCP? to receive a private IP from the NTL box
    c> PCs then connected to the 4P switch which receive a 192.168.*.* address as set in the Linksys web interface

If you suggest plugging a cable from the NTL box LAN port into the switch on the Linksys, would this not be the same as using a normal switch? OR is this why you say to set the function of the Linksys to router as opposed to gateway as you would use for normal operation with IBB for example (this is what I do).

My main question would be, does the NTL box give out addresses via DHCP on its LAN port as does the Eircom netopia boxes? I saw a laptop setup for NTL and its LAN connection was set to static, 192.168.1.116!!!

Advertisement