Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

???Hosting Problem/Query???

Options
  • 29-01-2006 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey i was creating a website with BlueVoda, but you cant publish the website without Vodahost hosting/domain which is quite expensive.

In order to upload this website with ftp to my domain, how do i change the saved website in a htm/html form? so i dont need to use Vodahost?

Please advise!
    :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Are you talking about the bit in the HTML which says something like -

form method="get" action="http://www.whatever.com/dostuff.php"

- ?

If so, well you just change the URL to the script which will handle your form data.

If you have no idea what script is supposed to handle your form data, well, that's a whole different problem altogether!

PS What is BlueVoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

dublindude wrote:
    PS What is BlueVoda?
    Seems to be a lock-in piece of software that allows you to DIY a website. The lock-in aspect would be that it would be published on BlueVoda's own webserver and the DIY webmaster would then be hit for the money.

From the BlueVoda site:
    " BlueVoda is a fully functional website builder and is 100% Completely Clean.  
    There is NO Spyware or Adware inside of it. 
    With BlueVoda you will be able build a fantastic website just like this one. 
    [b]A VodaHost web hosting account is required in order for you to publish.[/b]"

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Unless you hack their software, which may not be possible (as it may not actually produce HTML, but a custom format which is converted to HTML when uploaded to VodaHost servers), you’re locked into using their hosting. And unless you can do that yourself (unlikely), I very much doubt anyone else here will do it for you.

Advice? Either pay for their hosting or use another WYSIWYG site builder or authoring tool. Or, better still, learn HTML. Either may have a greater learning curve attached than the site building tool that BlueVoda give away, but at least you’ll be able to host it wherever you want (on which note, unless you’re only looking for free hosting, VodaHost does not appear to be overpriced).

In the end, there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Crazythrasher

What exactly would you advise to start learning html?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Theirs lots of tutorials all over the net.
    This is quite a good basic one for you to start on.
    Best of luck with it

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I prefer books :)

I was talking about this with someone last night, so I came up with this:
    http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2006/01/30/web-development-basic-reading/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

blacknight wrote:

*sponsored by Blacknight Solutions Ltd.

:v:

Nah, I'm not actually that cynical. I've found online tutorials more than adequate; can't copy and paste from a book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blacknight wrote:

The first book mentioned on that page is quite good. I have an earlier copy.
    The version mentioned there, HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual Quickstart Guide, is in Fingal County Council library system. Three copies, two out on loan until mid Feb.

CuLT wrote:
    Nah, I'm not actually that cynical. I've found online tutorials more than adequate; can't copy and paste from a book ;)
    Yes, but you aren't a small business owner who wants to "get online".

You are probably very comfortable copying and pasting from tutorials or reading long text off websites.

blacknight wrote:
    Yes, but you aren't a small business owner who wants to "get online".

You are probably very comfortable copying and pasting from tutorials or reading long text off websites.
    I wasn't aware we'd established that the OP was a small business owner?

I expect small business owners can ill-afford the time necessary to learn how to build a reasonably professional looking website. And when I was starting to learn various aspects of web development I found copy&paste very useful indeed. Then I began to try to understand how it worked so as I could create something suiting my own needs.

Though I suppose that's somewhat inconventional.

• Advertisement

Cult - sorry. I should have said something along the lines of "non-technical" person or similar .....

blacknight wrote:
    Cult - sorry. I should have said something along the lines of "non-technical" person or similar .....
    Ah, right, that makes more sense.

Well in that case you're probably right. Books and formal teaching are more likely to be an effective primer. It's easy to forget that not everyone is happy to spend 8 hour stints coding; especially surrounded by techy people all the time :)

Advertisement