Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N7: Newlands Cross, 60kmph limit, speeding, etc.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

whippet wrote:
    I belive this is due to the shape of the road and the curve, there are international guidelines as to the speed limit v course of the road.
    I have it on good authority that it is in fact the noise level... As in i was told by a resident that they all complained and the reduced speed was a compromise..
    Could still be bull but he was a resident there!

Anyway that 30kph stretch off red cow is just so hard to follow... ESPECIALLY if you are trying to merge with traffic that is all going faster, you hav eno choice but to exceed the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There are digital signs along the N7 clearly stating what the speed limit is and most of them do have radar units attached reading all vehicles speed!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you sure they are radar and monitoring speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

No just traffic advisory

Thats what I suspected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Ginger83 wrote:
    There are digital signs along the N7 clearly stating what the speed limit is and most of them do have radar units attached reading all vehicles speed!

and the one by the new Kill bridge going southbound is frequently wrong ...eg even when stuck in the obligatory rushhour stationary traffic queue it was saying YOUR SPEED is 35 KPH ....I wish it was! You wonder if this uses the same technology as the cops speed guns...

imho they should be targeting the idiots driving in the dark mornings / evenings with poor or no lights on

They are radar and do monitor speed, I know this because I work for the company in charge of them and set some up:rolleyes:
    The small black box at the bottom of the roadsign are radar speed detectors but ARE NOT set to read reg plates, only areas of severe accident blackspots request that setting.
    One main problem with them being unaccurate is that there are set incorrectly, normally if the limit is 60km/h they are triggered at 65km/h but the clients requests vary a hell of a lot!

I wouldn't worry too much about them but do please remember they are there for a reason (I don't work in the pissings of rain for the good of my health)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

100% agree. I was done (73 in 60 zone) in the same place in mid-November and got the letter in mid-Jan so there was no deterrent effect for two months after I committed the "offense". Any number of points could be working their way through the system towards me :eek:
    PS I am not in any way denying that I broke that law or that I am in the wrong, just that I am annoyed - why does it take 2 months to send what is plainly a computerised letter?
    Is it that if they sent it in a more timely way (ie in the post the next day) you might remember the details better and be more likely to dispute it?
    In the north or the UK if you don't get the letter in 14 days your home free.

Has anyone sucessfully agruged that 2 months delay is an abuse of process? I am sure there is plenty of scope for such a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I was spitting feathers in the car on the way to work this morning. Do you know what they've gone and done? They've raised the speed limit going down to Newlands Cross to 80kmph! That would have nullified my offences if it had been the case for the past couple of months!

Does anyone think thats grounds for appealing the penalty points, especially since the points haven't actually been applied to my license yet (although I've paid the fine)?

The fact that they have changed the limit now has no relevance to your offence. Putting it simply, you exceeded the stated limit and its against the law to do that.
    Can you rob a bank now as you reckon they will change those laws in a few months time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ginger83 wrote:
    They are radar and do monitor speed, I know this because I work for the company in charge of them and set some up:rolleyes:
    The small black box at the bottom of the roadsign are radar speed detectors but ARE NOT set to read reg plates, only areas of severe accident blackspots request that setting.
    Are you saying that some of these units do read (and presumably record) number plates at accident blackspots? That's the first I've heard of that and find it hard to believe TBH. How exactly are the plates read?

I'm not sure I can answer your question truthfully as I only do the delivering and setting up of these units. Its an automatic program to start the radar but one of our guys set the program up, we have an over-ride system where we switch the program on and set the required limit, if a vehicle exceeds that limit by lets say 5-7km/h this will trigger the system. Normally this will only show the constant speed of all vehicles but if the screen flashes the same figures quickly it has picked up on that vehicle exceeding the limit.

Each sign has its own modem and memory for remote access to all information stored.(I must point out in the time I have been with this company I have not heard of any driver receiving fines for this offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

stevenmu wrote:
    The Snugborough rd may be wider and smoother but it has more turn offs into industrial and residential areas, it has residential areas along the side of part of it, traffic lights (including that traffic island that seems to get every second day), and of course the road works.

The Snugborough Road is 2km long. Over the course of the 1.8km stretch from the Hospital roundabout to the lights at Ballycoolin Road it has the following "hazards":

* Uncontrolled T-junction serving Waterville estate but well away from any actual residential units.

* Signal-controlled T-junction into Corduff, well away from any housing.

* Signal-controlled T-junction into National Aquatic Centre. Well-calmed.

* Uncontrolled T-entrance into Industrial Estate with merge in/out lane.

* Uncontrolled and hardly used T-entrance into Abbotstown.

Sight lines on the road are excellent, it's wide (soon even wider) and the only housing anywhere near it is on the other side of a 2m wall. I had assumed that the (inconsistently posted) 50 zone is just for the duration of the road works. To my mind, even 60 is needlessly slow.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Savman wrote:
    It's a 6 lane dual carriageway ffs!
    So what, so was O'Connell Street!

Its a suburban dual carriageway wtiht traffic lights, what do you expect?

Advertisement