Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to Re-align Steering wheel

Options
  • 30-01-2006 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone knows (roughly) how much it will cost to get my steering wheel realigned on my ford focus.

With the frost being what it was around dublin this morning, i managed to hit some black ice and skid into a big curb, minor collision.

When the wheels are in a normal straight driving position the steering wheel is at about a 20-30 degrees angle upwards on the right hand side. The left wheel seems, what can only be described as clickity. And when I go to turn left, the steering wheel seems very light and I can imagine does more than a 1 and half full rotation.

will bring it to the garage at lunch but would like to know what the cost will be about.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your wheel tracking is off - not your steering wheel - any devent tyre centre should be able to fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Any idea's on how long it would take to fix and cost?

it depends on how much needs to be done but I reckon 30-60 minutes
    It could cost 30 or 40 - Im not really sure!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like a decent impact.

It may be you've damaged some of your steering components at worst, and merely put the front wheel tracking out at best.

Get it looked at urgently.

Kbannon: 30 mins to an hour, and €30-40!!!!! Seriously? I was thinking a couple of hundred. Thats good news so!! "If your right!"

Henry Ford III: It was a decent bang to be honest, but its nothing compared with what I saw this morning on the roads. It's a bit scary driving, the steering wheel is so light it has a mind of its own.

Just back from the Ford garage in Airside Swords (only work a couple hundred meters away), the mechanics are out to lunch so have to go back later. Will keep you's posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope it's nothing too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

to realign wheels, is simple enough for mechanics. Ring up the likes of kwik fit and get a quote. Usually its around 10-20euros per wheel. It doesnt take them too long. Make sure you take it for a test drive once theyv finished and BEFORE you hand over any money. Then if theres still any problems, you can sort it out. If theres ever any problems with steering its best to get them sorted out sooner rather then later. Fair dues to the OP for getting it sorted before something worse happened to him or his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Worst case, you might have damaged a track rod. Tracking prices can vary, but it's straight forward. More than likely you'll have to go to a good, reputable tyre centre rather than a main dealer - a lot of dealers don't have the necessary machine.

Trivia: In olden days, they used to use a piece of string to determine how much they needed to adjust things!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Make sure you get it put up on the newest tracking computers. ie. the one with the lasers.

I went to Kwik-Fit before and they did the tracking on the old system and it was crap.

OP: You could have bent the wishbone a little. It's no big deal, not an expensive part, and about an hours labour. Once you didnt damage the hub you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Eletronic tracking is the best.

Cost me 40e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could have bent a wishbone or steering components or anything,

hope it's not too serious

Well, got an estimate this afternoon.

€450!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :eek: :mad:

Two hours labour, (Wheel tracking/realignment seriously way off, and to do this twice) (apparently)(€219)
    New Alloy & New Tire. (€140 & €70 approx)

I haven't a clue if I'm being ripped off at all. I'm picking the car up tomorrow afternoon sometime hopefully. Brought it to the Ford dealers in Airside, Swords. In fairness, I probably should have phoned around and got an estimate from other garages, but seeing as I needed a new alloy thought it would prob be best to get in done in the Ford garage.

Now then, here's something to chew on. I've got fully comp insurance, I'm not the named driver (its my mothers car), could I pay through my insurance. I know that next year the insurance will go up. But the thing is, I'm moving to England in a couple of weeks so it prob wouldn't effect me so. Would the insurance company then bump up my mothers insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Claiming through the insurance is a non-starter, the excess is probably around €300 (check the policy) and for €450 having a claim on your record isn't worth it.

You will need a NCB statement for any hope of getting a discount in the UK and if/when you come back the claim will still be in your way.

That quote is high because of the wheel and tyre.
    Try scrapyards/ebay for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Is your spare wheel an alloy or one of those thin low speed tyres. If it was an alloy you could swap it with your wheel.

It would put your mothers insurance, I would not recommend it for such a small claim.

Advertisement