Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband now blocking outbound port 25 (SMTP)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ronoc wrote:
    Break RFCs..... you joking me? The RFC for SMTP defines the protocol, not what you should do with it.

Configure your SMTP server to relay mail to smart's SMTP server. Job done and zero difference.

If you don't want to do that buy a proper dedicated connection and stop lecturing people about things you barely understand.

I was refering to the "change the port your SMTP listens on" comment, nothing to do with relaying.

So stop lecturing people if you can't follow a simple discussion you've tried twice now, slow down and read.

ntlbell wrote:
    I was refering to the "change the port your SMTP listens on" comment, nothing to do with relaying.

So stop lecturing people if you can't follow a simple discussion you've tried twice now, slow down and read.

Well I will give you the benifit of the doubt seeing as the OP has not mentioned if his servers are on his home broadband line (what I assumed) or outside smarts network (you assumed). Both are possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Draylor

Sounds like the first sensible decision from Smart.

ronoc wrote:
    Well I will give you the benifit of the doubt seeing as the OP has not mentioned if his servers are on his home broadband line (what I assumed) or outside smarts network (you assumed). Both are possible.

Well if you watched who I was quoting during the discussion you'll notice I'm not referring to the OP I'm referring to the advice and comments made by etho_

I also didn't assume anything about the whereabouts of anyones SMTP server I was referring to mine.

Eventually you'll get it, keep going tho, you're doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Draylor wrote:
    Sounds like the first sensible decision from Smart.

You're dead right BB and phone for €35 was an awful idea. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    Well if you watched who I was quoting during the discussion you'll notice I'm not referring to the OP I'm referring to the advice and comments made by etho_

I also didn't assume anything about the whereabouts of anyones SMTP server I was referring to mine.

Eventually you'll get it, keep going tho, you're doing very well.

Well since eth0_ was talking about the original post not your server I think that makes it pretty clear to me.

Maybe you are the one that needs reading lessons eh?
    Or 7 more years with a real ISP.

ronoc wrote:
    Well since eth0_ was talking about the original post not your server I think that makes it pretty clear to me.

Maybe you are the one that needs reading lessons eh?
    Or 7 more years with a real ISP.

Oh now you're all upset. :v:

eth0_ was making general comments on how she understands why they did it and offered the "change the port on your smtp" and the fork out more money options.

come on, I'll hold your hand through the rest of the discussion's so you can get at least one valid point across.

With regards working for a real ISP, I was working in sweden ronoc when I worked for an ISP, I think you'll find we were a little more real there while you still played with your phone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

thunderdome??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't think there's any point getting into a back and forth with ntlbell (I won't call it an 'argument' although ntlbell seems to think she's making people upset...?).

Yes Smart should have communicated this better. But like I said, it affects such a proportion of their users maybe there wasn't much point letting all customers know as it would have caused confusion.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to run a mail server on the residential DSL anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

eth0_ wrote:
    And correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you're allowed to run a mail server on the residential DSL anyway!

Well at the very least if you are expecting to run a mail server on a home line you can expect a few restrictions. Why should they bother with Jo soap who is a target for spammers when they know he is a home user who thinks a mail server is the bloke in the post office canteen, when they can put him on a business account with his own IP and let him do what he wants?

In short if you expect the services available to facilitate the running of a business then dont use a residential account and upgrade to a business one, I daresay they may even help you not to have an open relay etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

*Shrug* For what it's worth, Smart informed me via land mail several weeks ago so their communication isn't entirely at fault and they outlined their reason and what to do if it was causing problems (go static and contact them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Those who are affected represent a tiny minority of customers. They too happen to more likely be the more savvy users who either pay for fixed IPs/business accounts, or (should?) have the know-how/resources to work around this. The vast majority of Smart customers are helped by this move, and Smart's costs are kept down (which can only be good for ALL customers).

So getting your knickers in a twist over some minor port redirection (which has nothing to do with any SMTP-related RFC), is a bit selfish, IMO, when you consider the obvious advantages for the majority of users.

Best practice is to introduce SMTP mail at the access point (Smart in this case), and if you run your own SMTP server you should be authenticating yourself (so that anyone from your dynamic IP can't relay). If you're doing that you should be using encryption. If you are, you'll most likely have the ability to run it on a standard encrypted higher port.

So why the fuss? The 2 minutes to change your client? The inability to run an encrypted mail service? If it's such a big deal that you use your own SMTP server you should have thought about this before now .. what when your on another ISP, or in a net cafe, etc?

The inconvenience suffered by the minority (most/all of whom should have the ability to workaround) vs. the hassle saved for the vast majority of customers. It's a no brainer in my book.

Now blocking pings or something more core, that's a different story.

My 2c

.cg

Advertisement