Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land of Leather - any problems anybody??

Options
  • 30-01-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I just bought into one of those Land of Leather deals, free rug and tables and whatever. I've been reading up about them on the net - apparently in UK they offer terrible service - delayed delivery etc. Its a bit late now I've payed my deposit and all but just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them. Just to put my mind at ease........

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Check out This thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I ordered on the 2nd of Jan in their sale and the fecking thing arrived sooner that i wanted it to. They said 6-8 weeks which would have been fine becasue i don't have my new house yet.

No problem with deliver as i collected. Sale price was very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Thanks everyone - It would probably be Worse if it arrived sooner than later, Peace. Nowhere to put it til I move into the new house. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens. The guy who sold it to us seemed confident enough of the delivery date. But We have to collect the free gift from Blanchardstown, go back to the shop to collect the free leather cleaning kit we got when we signed up for the 5 year protection plan (another €300 - seemed like a good idea at teh time - not sure though), and we still have to pay the driver for delivery. Not as easy as going to the shop and buying furniture - all sorts of little annoyances and hidden extras involved.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

annieee wrote:
    we signed up for the 5 year protection plan (another €300 - seemed like a good idea at the time

5 year protection for what :D ????? , is this an insurance or finance policy taken out with some UK Finance company and therefore 100% unenforceable in Ireland , is there even an Irish telephone number for this shower ?????

• Advertisement

Protection for the suite of furniture - to cover structural damage, pet damage, sinking of cushions, spills, tears etc. My boyfriend said not to bother but we have a cat that likes to sharpen her claws on any piece of furniture available so I though it was a good idea, plus we have a new baby coming and kids equals mess. They were fairly pushing it on anybody buying and loads of people were buying because it was the last few days of the sale. D'ya think I was ripped off? I'm a bit worried now - have the buyer's remorse.....

I would be very interested in the Terms & Condition's of this protection plan.

http://www.landofleather.co.uk/leather_care-ultimate_care.html

Read about it here - it seems above board, but I dont know....

annieee wrote:
    http://www.landofleather.co.uk/leather_care-ultimate_care.html
    it seems above board, but I dont know....

That is UK Insurance as you can see from your OWN link above, where is the Irish Insurance ??? and is regulated ( in the UK only ) by the UK Financial services regulator and is invalid here IIRC . A policy issued here is different of course and would be issued under the IFSRA not the UK FSA . note from your link
    insurance provided by AIG Europe (UK) Limited and underwritten by Landmark Insurance Company Limited, AIG Europe (UK) Limited is an appointed representative of Landmark Insurance Company Limited, registered and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Homeserve Warranties Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).
    Our FSA registration number is 311648.

seems not above board to me, check it with the IFSRA !

:eek:

• Advertisement

OK

did initial check and it seems that AIG Europe and Landmark may be authorised here , see http://www.ifsra.ie/data/in_ins_files/non-life%20service%20companies.pdf

at least for certain 'classes' of business.

Homeserve Warranties are not on that authorised list.

As I am unsure as to who is really supposed to 'provide' the warranty service you should check with IFSRA .

I sent an email off to IFSRA to enquire. No response yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

annieee wrote:
    Protection for the suite of furniture - to cover structural damage, pet damage, sinking of cushions, spills, tears etc. My boyfriend said not to bother but we have a cat that likes to sharpen her claws on any piece of furniture available so I though it was a good idea, plus we have a new baby coming and kids equals mess. They were fairly pushing it on anybody buying and loads of people were buying because it was the last few days of the sale. D'ya think I was ripped off? I'm a bit worried now - have the buyer's remorse.....

they tried to sell that to us too, I said not to bother. Sorry to tell you, It doesnt cover pets, as we have 2 dogs, and I asked specifically

The guy who sold them to us, the store manager, said you could have one claim only for damage caused by pets within the 5 years. I hope he's right because our cat is a holy terror for sharpening claws on the old sofa we have now. Anyways, how did you find their delivery service?

Will you come back to us and tell us what IFSRA has to say about this...?

Yeah sure, I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

annieee wrote:
    how did you find their delivery service?

well first they wanted to charge us twice because they didnt have one item in stock, so if they were to deliver that it would be an additional delivery cost, but they dropped that idea :rolleyes: . it all came on time, except for a free patio set, which came about 5 or 6 months later, oh and the coffee table was not in stock, ended up taking the store model so who knows how long that would have been!

Gawd, well we have to collect our "free" Gifts (rugs and tables) in some warehouse in Blanch, or else pay a separate delivery fee for them to be delivered! Its all a bit suspect. Hopefully it'll all come together for us and I'll be singing their praises in 4-6 weeks.....Probably just worrying for nothing. Touch wood. (Touch Flat pack end table and matching coffee table!!)

Reply to email sent to IFSRA: It all seems above board......:)

Financial institutions from other EU countries are allowed to operate
    in Ireland through a process known as 'passporting'. These institutions
    must be regulated by their own financial regulator. Once a financial
    institution is regulated by its own country's financial regulator, they
    can operate in any of the EU countries.

Landmark Insurance Company Limited is authorised to operate in Ireland
    as an Insurance Service Company.

If a problem arises with your insurance policy and you cannot resolve
    it with the company directly, you can escalate the problem by contacting
    the Financial Services Authority (FSA). The FSA website can be accessed
    on www.fsa.gov.uk and they can be telephoned from Ireland on +44 20
    7066 1000.

I hope you find this information useful. Please do not hesitate to
    contact me if you have any further queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm still waiting for them to come out to look at my suite. The most commonly used seat in the three seater has gone flat and one recliner has a loose bolt at the back. My gripe is with the three seater in that it doesn't instill confidence that the furniture will last any lenght of time. Wish I had taken that insurance now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm still waiting for them to come out to look at my suite. The most commonly used seat in the three seater has gone flat and one recliner has a loose bolt at the back. My gripe is with the three seater in that it doesn't instill confidence that the furniture will last any lenght of time. Wish I had taken that insurance now.

How long have you had your sofa jimmy?

Advertisement