Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Predicament

Options
  • 30-01-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm currently insured on an 06 astra sports coupe thing and an 06 bmw 530d m sport. They are both my parents cars.

My granny has decided to stop driving due to safety reasons. She has offered me her 96 fiesta. My parents have offered to pay for tax, insurance, etc etc. It would mean I'd have a car of my own. However, if I got the fiesta I would no longer be insured on the opel or beemer.

I dunno what to do! There's pros and cons to both sides!!

Any ideas!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Bloody hell how jammy are you?, ooohhh noooo what a dilema :rolleyes:

Only kidding ;)

Tough one really. Getting to drive the nice cars when you're allowed versus the total independence of your own motor whenever you want.

As much as a come-down as it might be it's got to be the fiesta. You can't beat the feeling of freedom when you get your first motor so it doesn't matter a damn what it is. (and getting it for free with free tax and free insurance! Sheesh... ) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Do you have a full licence or just a provisional ? Here is what I think you should do.

If you have a provisional licence, or if you are learning to drive, then go for the fiesta. It would be a better car for you to learn to drive in. Insurance would no doubt be cheaper, and they're good cars to learn in because the provide the driver with a direct feel of the road.

If you have a full licence, you could get your parents to insure you on the fiesta, but have the insurance in your own name. This will allow you to build up your no claims bonus sooner, so you can go out and get a nicer car soon after.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

insure the fiesta on your own. This will allow you to build up your NCB making owning your own BMW easier in the future.
    However, you could still drive your folks cars either by using the clause offered with fully comp policies or stay on your parents policy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey lads,

Thanks for the advice. I only have a provisional, I'm driving over a year now, I should get my test this Summer.

I was half thinking of getting the fiesta , driving it for a few months, get a job during the summer (may-october) and maybe get a 98-99 golf.

Decisions, decisions....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Go for the Fiesta, get a full licence and then most insurance companies will give you open drive so you can drive any car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Not being smart, but sounds like you got nothing to complain about.

Take the Fiesta, we all have to start somewhere in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're insured on their cars, but do they let you drive them? I know if I were them I wouldn't let my kid (with prov licence) drive them (fancy expensive brand new cars!)

Take the Fiesta, having a car of your own and coming/going as you please will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I dont think there is a decision, it is much nicer to have your own car (crappy and all as it may be) than to be driving someone elses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also remember that if you are driving a car as a named driver you will not necessarily build up any NCB. Also if a claim is made against you the policy homder (i.e. your ma or da) will lose their NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm in college during the week so I only drive the cars at the weekend. 99.99% of the time one of the 2 cars is available so there's no problem there.

When it comes to insurance, if I was getting the fiesta....Dad would put the insurance under his name (his current car is a company car so the insurance isn't in his name) and I would be a named driver so I still wouldn't be building up any NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

If that is the case, why could you not continue driving his car aswell as the fiesta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

jamieh wrote:
    I would be a named driver so I still wouldn't be building up any NCB.

For what it's worth FBD (and i'm sure some others) took 5 years named drivers experience for me and gave me 5 years ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jamieh wrote:
    (his current car is a company car so the insurance isn't in his name) and I would be a named driver so I still wouldn't be building up any NCB.

nice of the company to let a learner driver have their car.........

Advertisement