Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL & wireless router (help needed :( )

• 30-01-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

edit - Got it working! Sorry for the post. Worked out you don't need DHCP host or domain name, but you need to be careful about the order to power things on in the first place. Worked for me after turning things on in the right sequence. Cheers..

I have searched, and read a couple of semi-related threads, but I'm none the wiser.

Basically I have ntl broadband, and I just took delivery of a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, as I believe is often recommended here.

The setup wizard gets as far as step 8, "Configure Cable or DHCP settings", and that's where I'm stumped. I tried changing it to DHCP, but that didn't worked. It asks for an optional DHCP Host name and Domain name, but I can't find any such information..

Can anyone help? What are the settings supposed to be? I checked out a link (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html) given in another thread, but the instructions for finding the DHCP server address did not work for me (there is no "support" tab when i go into my network connection properties).

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Did you power off the NTL Modem before connecting the router to it? The modem needs to be reset when changing from a direct connection of a PC to a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Did you power off the NTL Modem before connecting the router to it? The modem needs to be reset when changing from a direct connection of a PC to a router.

Yep, that was it. I wasn't resetting things after settings were changed. Figured out from another board that you should set up the router first, then turn everything off, then connect the modem to the router, turn the modem on, then the router, and then the PC. Worked like a charm :) Thanks..

Advertisement