Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Reccomendation

Options
  • 30-01-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a restaurant reccomendation for Valentines.

Someone suggested Nimmos - anyone been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 rollover

nope not been to nimmo's
    park house hotel(on foster street opposite the pucán) is nice..not too pricey

have heard good things about oscar's on dominick street..few doors down from monroes

other than that there is a dearth of good eateries in galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Nimmo's is supposed to be great, if a little odd.

I was in KC Blakes over the weekend.
    Absolutley amazing. Pricey, but gorgoeus food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

finlma wrote:
    Hi,

Id highly recommend sitting in Supermacs with a 4.99 snack box after a heap of pints reading the irish sun , roaring like an english/irish lager lout, showing off me tattooes and five bellies !

Seriously, if ya can get the White Gables, you will not be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As mentioned above, White Gables, but if you want to have a drink (and not drive) it's a bit out of the way.

Oscars on Domnick Street is savage. It's expensive but worth every penny and it has a relaxed atmosphere.

Galway is full of resturants, you just need to be a bit more specific, ie. do you want dark candlelit romance, or somewhere casual

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

rollover wrote:
    nope not been to nimmo's
    park house hotel(on foster street opposite the pucán) is nice..not too pricey

have heard good things about oscar's on dominick street..few doors down from monroes

other than that there is a dearth of good eateries in galway city

Parkhouse Hotel is one to beware of, I worked there for 4 years so I have a pretty good idea of what its like. The standard there is quite high, and the price is reasonable, and the portions are huge. But, for Valentines night you will literally be sitting on your neighbors lap and unless you book the latest seating (about 10ish) you will be expected to vacate your table quite quickly like maybe an hour and a half - it is easily the busiest restaurant i've ever encountered! As for the menu, if you don't really like 'fancy' food but like to shape as if you do then this may be the spot for you. It has developed a unique niche - people who like boring (for want of a better word, no offence intended) food can get it here but with a flourish so giving the illusion that it is more than it is!

Parkhouse hotel....

go there ..... if you have a big party with a few fussy eaters
    ............ if you like steak, chicken etc done very plain but very well
    ................if you are hungry (you will not be when you are finished!)

order......duck and make sure to get some garlic potato with the main course (it should be complimentary!)

oh and by the way the really tall old guy with the beard his name is John Connaughton, say hi John like you know him and you'll prob get a better table - he's been there 25 years so he can hardly be expected to remember everyone!

Other places to eat in Galway are a better bet though!

The Malthouse - pricey but top notch, esp fish

KC Blakes - pricey, maybe too pricey for what you get, but the food is good

Cookes - similar to The Malthouse, but it would be my pic for a rosemantic meal

McSwiggans - an absolute gem of a restaurant and unbelievable value, maybe not the spot for Valentines day but the perfect spot for a family meal, everything is delicious and it won't be too hard to have a meal for two incl wine for 50-60euro!

For a more casual meal try Fat Freddys (no bookings taken), or Milanos.

Also a bit outside the city is Moycullen House Restaurant, if you want serious brownie points then is your buachaill!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

Moycullen House. You'll need a second mortgage, but it's worth it.

Tune in to FlirtFm (105.6) between 12noon and 1pm, where i'll be giving my list of top mistakes men make on V-Day

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

Have been to Nimmo's and think it's just the right restaurant for a Valentine's day.
    Not an overwhelming choice in meals though but therefore even tastier food and loads of good wines. Think they won a few awards as well. Great place for having a good conversation over some dinner, quite cosy atmosphere and not too fancy or expensive - but money shouldn't matter on such an occasion anyway :-)
    If you go there, make sure you book a table upstairs in advance.

Wouldn't recommend KC Blakes for a romantice dinner, they have gorgeous food but it's simply not the right ambience.

Milano is a rip-off in my opinion and not worth it.

McSwiggans is rather down-to-earth but as mentioned very good value and a guerantee to get stuffed.

If you like Indian food, you might as well try Kashmir - yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SuperMacs

finlma wrote:
    Hi,

Nimmos is good.
    You won't be dissappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Cactus Jack's, White Gables, Cooke's Wine Bar, fook I'm getting hungry typing. Thai Gardens is nice too. I was very impressed with our waitress. There must have been about 150 items on the menu, they were all numbered, and to save us the hassle, we order the number. Yer wan would instantly reply "Ah yes, the blah blah blah with blah blah. Very good." She knew every single one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Vina Mara ist very nice too (and great service they have there!). Otherwise Nimmo's, or Oscar's. Or Moran's in Kinvarra (I think it's Kinvarra).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Nope, it's Morans of Kilcolgan. Right on the pier. Lovely lovely place, and I don't even eat fish. I just go for the veg soup and ham salad every time. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

close ;-) But it's a very nice restaurant!

Advertisement