Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Day - Streets of Dublin Race

Options
  • 30-01-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Just looked at the Irish Runner and there is a fixture on St. Patricks day that reads as follows....

Friday 17th March Street of Dublin Road Race, details later

Anyone know what this is, how far, entry details, etc etc?

Thanks
    Domer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi;

This is a newly added event, its not in the irish Runner annual, expect details to come out soon i say, probably hear more on Fm104 or the Paddys Day website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thanks for that. Checked the St Patrick's Day web site, and it is not mentioned there...will check back in a few weeks I guess.

I remember there used to be a race in the late 80's..ran it a few times...sponsored by Puma...it used to be a blast..would do it again if it around the 5mile distance.

Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It would want to be early in the day, or outside the main thoroughfares. Dublin city any time after 12pm is a horrible place to be on St. Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

There used to be a 5k on the parade route just before the parade started (9am-ish I think). Fantastic race, biggest crowd you could ever run on front of. Started in Parnell square went down O Connel St, up Dame St, turned around at Christchurch then all the way back to Parnell Sq. Not the fastest of courses, I think the quickest time I ever saw win it was 14:20 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I ran in the first one, which, if I'm not mistaken, was a 10k in '83. Finished outside the top ten (hundred). I saw Eamonn Coghlan running down the quays near the Four courts, while I was running up the other side (over a mile behind, I'd estimate!!). That was his annus mirabilis. He was smokin'. The crowds in O'Connell St at the finish were unbelievable. Great race, back then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Eamonn's club, Metro St Brigids, is running a 4 mile road race in the Phoenix Park, starting and finishing in Farmleigh, on St. Patrick's Day commencing at 10am. Eamonn, actually, is the Race Director. Details of this race will be announced in the coming days and will also be featured in the upcoming (mid-Feb, I think) edition of Irish Runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

I remember running a 10K through the City back in 83 or 84.... the Radio Nova / Puma 10K. 10,000 must have run it, if not more. Maybe that was the same race, Slow coach? Seems like eons ago!
    Great to hear that Eamonn's club is organising a run... I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

... will also be featured in the upcoming (mid-Feb, I think) edition of Irish Runner.

So we'll get to read about it in mid-May?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Full details and entry form for St. Patrick's Day 4 mile race in the Phoenix Park now on the MSB web-site - http://www.msbac.com/home/index.html

Advertisement