Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Authentication Issue

Options
  • 30-01-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I have recently set up a new Intranet, based on SQL. I have pointed the web address at my firewall and the firewall to my web server. I am getting a dialogue box asking for username and password authentication when hitting the site. I can get in alright using my windows login, but I would prefer to get rid of this altogether, as I have sufficient security already set up from splash screen on Intranet.

Can someone tell me how to get rid of this additional login?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What webserver are you using? If it's IIS, you'll need to go into the website properties, under the "Directory Security" tab, tick "Allow anonymous logon". You may also need to make sure that the IUSR_SERVERNAME user account has read access to all the files and subfolders in the site's root directory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kasparov

Thanks for that Seamus, I'm afraid it didn't work though. I've made sure "Allow anonymous logon" is ticked and allowed full access to the ISUR account, when I have unticked Basic Authentication it does't come up with the login dialog box, but gives me a 'You are not authorized to view this page' error on the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Could be a good few things tbh. If your pages are in script (ASP, PHP), it may be a matter of turning on script execute permissions, etc etc.

It should work fine provided that anonymous access is allowed both at the root level and at the website level. Do a search on the MSN knowledgebase too: http://support.microsoft.com they should have a good step-by-step checklist.

Just one other thing to check - if you're not trying to view a page, i.e. if you're trying to get a directory listing, it will tell you "You are not authorized..." if directory listings have been disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kasparov

Managed to get it thanks Seamus, the password was entered wrong on the site properties for the IUSR account. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement