Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Music To Stereo

• 30-01-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have posted little bits about using windows media centre etc, to get my mp3 music to my livingroom. It is all a bit confusing as there are options of having video playback and DVD recording etc. etc.

So, I have decided that all I want to do is get the music from my computer (upstairs), to my Amp (downstairs), and be able to view (possibly on TV which is beside the Amp) and control the song lists.

So can anyone recommend the simplest (and cheapest) way to achieve this. I can run cable from the PC down to the TV/Amp if necessary.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Cheapest would be this : Hauppauge MediaMVP. Sound quality isn't brilliant though. Akin to standard PC sound ie a bit noisey.

For hifi sound quality and dedicated music players, check out: Soundbridge or SqueezeBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

Thanks for the links guys.
    I am heading over to the UK soon, so will try and pick up one of these (http://rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php) while i am there. (save on shipping.
    Do I have to pay UK VAT on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

prospect wrote:
    I am heading over to the UK soon, so will try and pick up one of these (http://rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php) while i am there. (save on shipping.
    Do I have to pay UK VAT on this?

Not sure if this product is actually available in any bricks and mortars stores in the UK. You should find out before you waste anytime searching shops.

If you buy in the UK you will pay UK VAT.

You can buy the Soundbrige direct from the US. Just dont use the UK/Europe link. The exchange rate is favorable and if you avoid customs you will pay no VAT. (Which is what i done). You can even get refurbished ones for a few quid less...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

With my link, you'll need to connect to the TV to view the playlists etc. But.... It can do wireless to the PC.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

slimserver, although not ideal for TV viewing:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i have one of these...

D-Link DSM-320 Wireless Media Player IEEE 802.11g

save you having to run cables. it looks like a normal av piece of equipment.

they sell them on amazon.co.uk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Markieboy

Hi all...

A buddy of mine has this one (works with Windows Media Player on the PC)

http://ie.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=80&subcategory=0&product=637&

It also comes with a hand held remote with an LCD display for browsing your music.

Problem is that when I tried to order it myself they were out of stock & when I rang them they didn't know if they would be getting it back in stock again...

I don't suppose anyone knows where else I could get this on-line...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

XBOX 360

Dont have MCE but ordinary XP. PC is in the living room and the Xbox360 is in the Cinema room with the Sound system and display which in my case is a PJ and 5.1 system. Luckily we were redecorating so I was able to run ethernet to the xbox but you can get wireless access point for the xbox.

Anyway with media connect installed on the XP PC I can access all our music and photos on the PC (about 60 gigs worth) in the room with the proper sound system and display via the xbox 360. With an MCE PC you can also stream video and control the PVR functions of of your MCE PC via the xbox. Saves having a big PC sitting under your tv, instead you have an xbox.

I know it costs more than those 200 euro devices mentioned but you get all the functionality and more and you have a great games console to boot. Worth considering imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Calibos wrote:
    XBOX 360

Tis great a a front end to MCE, but wont play Divx\Xvid\X264......yet. Of course you can convert to a less efficient format to stream if you wish.

On that note, a modded Xbox with XBMC is a good option, but of couse you loose your TV\PVR capability.

Advertisement