Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video to DVD

Options
  • 30-01-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know is this even possible, but can you record a 3 hr video tape to a DVD?

And if so, is there any place in town which would provide this service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

gimmick wrote:
    I dont know is this even possible, but can you record a 3 hr video tape to a DVD?

And if so, is there any place in town which would provide this service?

It's possible alright. I saw a combo Video/DVD-R (RW?) for sale in "4Homes" in Carrigaline on Saturday and they said that you could copy video to dvd on the packaging. It cost around €370-ish.

Not sure where you might be able to get it done in the city.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

try that place on washington street, i know they do VHS -> VHS anyway, but i'd imagine they do DVD now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If its a commercial tape then you might have some trouble copying it as it could have macrovision protection. I'd imagine any shops would refuse to copy it in that case and combo units will probably fail too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bah. Cheers anyways folks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You can get them in Dixons in Ballincollig, when I was working there they sold a Daewoo which could record DVD to VCR or VCR to DVD, it was like its main feature, wasn't too expensive either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Delphi91 wrote:
    It's possible alright. I saw a combo Video/DVD-R (RW?) for sale in "4Homes" in Carrigaline on Saturday and they said that you could copy video to dvd on the packaging. It cost around €370-ish.
    4homes in carrigaline?
    where?
    you move away for 5 minutes and look what happens.

next you will be telling me that barry collins bought the pottery and ripped it down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

4homes in carrigaline?
    where?
    you move away for 5 minutes and look what happens.

next you will be telling me that barry collins bought the pottery and ripped it down.....

Used to be the Co-OP store.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

in theory i'd imagine if you coul get your hands on a dvd recorder, then you could connect your video to your TV using scart cable and the DVD recorder to the video (if the video has a scart input but quite a lot of them do). Now you'd just just play the video and record using the dvd player as if it was tv recording the AV channel. Never tried it myself, but could well work..good luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

~Rebel~ wrote:
    in theory i'd imagine if you coul get your hands on a dvd recorder, then you could connect your video to your TV using scart cable and the DVD recorder to the video (if the video has a scart input but quite a lot of them do). Now you'd just just play the video and record using the dvd player as if it was tv recording the AV channel. Never tried it myself, but could well work..good luck anyway!
    In theory. Problem is if its a macrovision protected tape, most dvd recorders wont copy it property. All they'll get is big thick black lines running down the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you can do this w/ unprotected tapes no bother, quality is as good as your tape was (or worse if youve damaged scart cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

parasite wrote:
    try that place on washington street, i know they do VHS -> VHS anyway, but i'd imagine they do DVD now
    They definitely do it, they're accross the road from Reardans. The only thing is that it's pricey, €30 is what they wanted to charge me when I enquired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i have that dvd recorder from 4homes and you can indeed just run the lineout to the a/v in on a vcr and record it. i did it with a bunch of old vids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

parasite wrote:
    Anyone know what the name of this place is?
    My sister needs to get a mini dv camcorder tape onto either DVD or VHS, I'm failing miserably at trying to get it onto my computer, so she'll have to go to a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Is it that Cork Film Services place with the massive telly in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ya, that's the one... dammit, what is it called?!
    ok, ignore me, it's late, I still have over 7 hours left at work too... Cork Film Services, I wonder about myself sometimes!

Advertisement