Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red light on dash (airbag)

Options
  • 30-01-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hi
    The airbag light on my dash stays on while driveing so I brought it to my local mechanic ,it was due a service anyway ,he said he couldn't sort out the problem because it needed to be hooked up to a computer which is fair enough ,so I brought it to my local dealer ,without even looking at the car he said the alternator was gone even though the battery is charging fine and it's driveing well otherwise ,has anybody else seen this problem before

Hyundai Accent 99

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Take it to another Hyundai dealer and see what his diagnosis is. Obviously don't mention that another dealer has said it's the alternator.

If 2nd dealer's diagnosis is different, take it back to the 1st dealer and pose the obvious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

I was thinking of that so I rang around ,they all want 50 E to hook it up to a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

I've got that on my Mondeo and the garage told me its because of a loose connection on a cable under a seat but its no harm. Haven't got around to checking it yet.

Thanks ,My mechanic said that he saw an astra with the same problem after he changed a seat for someone but Opel had to hook it up to a comp to turn the ligh off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Macker wrote:
    I brought it to my local dealer
    A mechanic would have been a better idea. :D

Seriously though, red light means something is wrong with your airbag's control circuit. It may be a faulty sensor or something. This can't be fixed without hooking the car up to the diagnostic computer. Even if its a glitch in the system and theres nothing wrong, it will need to be reset.

Get it sorted out or your airbag may not deploy when you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The airbag light coming on in some cars is a warning that something is amiss with the ecu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I woul sinterpret the airbag light lit as something wrong with the ECU ro AB circuits and sensors.

however, one common problem with all cars that have ABs in the steering wheel. The circular wire, typically called the "clockspring" develops a crack from all teh flexing over the years and thus registers an open circuit with the ECU, hence the light.

So, I'd look the check the clockspring for a crack first, then go from there, to the front end sensors being corroded, etc.

Just an update I brought the car to another hyundai Dealer beside my job who hooked it up to a comp for 50 E and said there were no errors and turned off the light ,even changed 2 bulbs for free ,I have a good mind to report the first hyundai Dealer to the SIMI ,he wanted 350 for a new alternator without even looking at the car :mad:

Advertisement