Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampening sound vibrations

• 30-01-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Right last few questions :D

I will be leaving over an apartment and we have wooden floors. The floor has been insulated to reduce the sound pass through. But if I have a sub woofer on the floor its gonna shake the people below me out of it (especially on rugby days :P )

Is there anything i can get that will dampen the sound so it wont travel down. I was thinking a piece of spare carpet but are there other solutions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Ginger wrote:
    Is there anything i can get that will dampen the sound so it wont travel down. I was thinking a piece of spare carpet but are there other solutions

When it comes to lower frequencies, in my experience not really (at least not on the cheap.. ). I would be surprised if placing a carpet under the woofer made any difference (it would reduce high frequencies). So the cheapest quick fix to reduce the bass travelling downstairs would be to put the speaker on good spikes/cones. Less vibration will travel to the floor. It would help a bit anyway.

Oh, that and turning the volume down.

Bass frequencies are hard to sound proof against, because there is more energy involved in producing those frequencies (more air being pushed), and they pass well through most construction materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Thanks Dalk, now the question is, is where do I get the spikes for this sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Dont know specifically. The usual suspects... hifi shops etc

The Sort of thing you are looking for, so you dont damage your wooden floor.

BTW i have also heard of some people putting their woofer on spikes, and then sitting that on a slab of concrete/slate/something hard. Claimed to help reduce sound downstairs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Perhaps you could make some kind of plynth (sp?) to put it on? Perhaps a hardwood box on spikes filled with sand with sound deadening heavy tar paper ( as used in cars) or noise killer spray on the top and bottom.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have read somewhere . . .

try to put the subwoofer into a slabs (get from DIY shop), most of them said it reduces vibrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

A big blob of blu-tac under each corner on the sub will do the trick. (seriously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I was thinking i might have actually found a use for the polystyrene packing in the boxes...

Just some packing material under the sub maybe that will knock it all out..

Advertisement