Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to lay grass seed?

Options
  • 30-01-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Garden needs a bit of a revamp so just wondering when is the best time to plant grass seed, flowers etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

personally
    I'd wait till the end of march start of April before planting anything, better chance of them doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Best time is in late september or early october as if you seed now, you'll have to water it everyday (sometimes twice) for the entire summer.
    I dug the entire back garden last year and re-seeded in Late October and it's doing well. Ideally it shouldn't be subjected to heavy traffic for 12 months.

With Flowers, shrubs etc, it really depends on what exactly you're planting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

I wont be re-seeding the entire lawn. It's just the very back of the garden where an old flower bed used to be. I might just chance my arm in throwing seeds down now and see what happens( no traffic at all on it).
    Any advice/pictures of rockeries/shrubberies i can do. Would like low maintenance flowers etc.

Thanks for the advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I wouldn't bother throwing it down now, it's far to cold and you'll probably end up doing it again as the grass just won't take this early in the year.
    Best thing you can do is give it a quick digging as this will bring up all the weed lying under the surface. Then kill the weeds in about a month and lay the grass seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

ok thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement