Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amps

• 30-01-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I need a new amp. I've been using a Technics which has given up, its over 20 years old. So Im thinking what should I go for? Spend some big bucks on a NAD or maybe an entry level would do me? Thing is, Im not up to speed on all this stuff and I need some advice. I've seen some Denon gear for sale at very reasonable prices but I've never heard of that brand before. Any advice on brands and where to buy would be great...

I want to buy something thats quality. I dont mind spending the money if its gonna be better and last maybe another 20 years.

BTW, Are richer sounds still in town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You need to decide what you are going to be listening to - ie Stereo or Home cinema. There is plenty of advice on the net, check out www.avforums.com, an excelent resource for your technical questions. However, it is still nice to see and hear the devices in the flesh so to speak. You will probably have some difficulty testing all the equipment that you want without going abroad.

Richersounds are in Belfast but there is a shop near where they were in Dublin called XMusic which is suspiciously similar in style and "can get you stuff from richersounds" ;)

Other possibilities are Peats, Cloney Audio, Harvey Norman and I think there is some place called Dublinn (as in linn hifi) at the top of Georges street.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have a Denon, they are excellent amp both for movies and music . . .

check this site for more info http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/0_HCAMPS.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If you listen to music mostly, dont go near an AV amp.
    If you watch movies/play games mostly then an AV amp is probably the way to go.
    What is your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sounds like the OP is heading more towards the Stereo amp rather than a HC amp/receiver

Denon gear is pretty good, i dont have an amp of them but have heard sound from a denon amp, and I personally was impressed, im at the moment using my good sony amp which i got 2 years ago and its still going strong. If your going towards NAD, have you considered upgrading your speakers?
    are your speakers 20 years old aswell?
    If your spending big bucks, you may aswell get decent speakers for a decent amp.

Your best to hear a system before you buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ChuckE

Yeah stereo amp for me! Will be used mostly for music, but I will run a DVD player into it as well. I went ahead and ordered a Denon. I didnt realise that most amp's dont have a phono input too. Im sure there are still plenty of people out there with records!

Yeah I still got the original speakers. They're great and I love them. Maybe they'll give up soon too, but until then I think I'll hang onto them and we'll make the most of the time we have together :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You ordered a new amp without hearing it?
    Why even bother asking for advice....

Advertisement