Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using opera on a 3 6680

• 30-01-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just bought a 6680 from 3. Everything is grand so far. however, i am unable to get opera to connect. Anyone had any luck.

When i install opera it launches fine and wants to do a test. It asks me to choos e one of my connection profiles. I have two options - 3 & 3mms - regardless of which one i choose i am unable to get a connection. Any help appreciated as the 3 browser is poor to say the very least.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine it's due to 3 now allowing customers to access anything outside of their "walled garden". The only web content you can get with 3 is what 3 offers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

is that the official line from them, surely some work arounds must be in place. would be pretty miffed if that was the case. real bummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It is definitely the official line. They have a white list, but God knows what's on it. Presumably particular sites they want to link to or whatever.

I have to say I saw no point in buying the 6680 with 3 as you can't do any of the internetie stuff with it. In fact, the whole 3G thing is pretty pointless with 3 as you can't access any content other that whatever ****e they want to peddle. I only went with them for the call savings.

is that the official line from them

Yup.

so no way around this, any way to proxy access through a 3 approved site. Or can these 3 phones be flashed at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

It's the same situation in the UK. If there was a way around it, I'm sure someone would have found it by now. The simple fact is that your phone runs on the 3 network. They control your internet access. They only allow you to see the content they want.

Flashing your phone, etc won't make a difference. For *full* internet access you'll change network to O2, Meteor or Vodafone. That said, regular internet access via a mobile phone is very expensive! Do check the GRPS / 3G data costs before switching!

- Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I went to 3 and when I realized that they didn't have Internet access, I told them to keep their service & give me my money back. If you've only been there for 14 days or less, I think you can switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i like 3's wall garden. the only time i ever used gprs were when it connected in my pocket and charged me loads. can't happen anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

My friend in the UK can now access other sites on 3 like Ebay etc.

He pays a monthly amount (£2.50) and that grants full access to all the sites they allow access to.

This is what the UK website says:

With Mobile Web Sites you can get more news & entertainment from the likes of the BBC and Sky – but that’s not all.

You can bid and track on auction sites like eBay, compare prices and buy CD’s & books on sites like Amazon or even log-on to MSN Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail.

Finding Mobile Web Sites is easy – each handset has a Top 5 list of the most popular sites as well as grouping by categories such as News, Entertainment & Sport.

They also have a 'suggest a site' bit on their UK website so maybe we'll see that over here soon?

yes, i have spoken to the 3 helpdesk about this and they are saying that it is being tested for the irish market but no dates yet. Seemingly it took three years to roll it out for the uk market, which i find very strange.

Does anybody now anyone working for three in ireland. I would like to speak with somebody with a more focused view on three ireland and not a very sexy but pretty unhelpful scottish voice.

• Advertisement

and its not just not being able to access other sites that annoys me. The wealth of applications for the series 60 platform is amazing, but a good deal less so when you rule out those that require and active internet access point.

The phone and browsing speed really are amazing, gives us the chance to use all the capabilities of the phone and next generation network. I will pay you for the pleasure. I'll pay my 45 euro for 400 any time minutes and would love to get 5mb of data for 10 euro. I think three are going to do themselves serious damage if they keep restricting users choice to pretty useless video clips and annoying ringtone download for 3 euros. None of which i will ever buy.

Sorry - rant now nearly over.

I would like to speak with somebody with a more focused view on three ireland and not a very sexy but pretty unhelpful scottish voice.

As their customer support is based there, I doubt you'll have much luck elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya 3 ireland has a lot to do to catch up with there Uk counterparts
    come on look at the websites

www.three.co.uk
    www.three.ie or www.3ireland.ie (both get you to the same site)

weeslip wrote:
    Does anybody now anyone working for three in ireland. I would like to speak with somebody with a more focused view on three ireland and not a very sexy but pretty unhelpful scottish voice.

3 has no presence in Ireland, it's all run from the UK. This is presumably how they can deliver the prices; no unnecessary overheads to cover this little piddly market.

they must have an address somewhere in ireland. Surely they need some presence in the country. I see a waterford man is the ceo but i cannot find any mentiond of an office. Does anybody have any idea of where they are based??

Or even better anybody know anyone working for them?

They have an office in Dublin, the address in on the website - however, no support is done from there - I suspect it's a bare bones operation.

I wonder how many sq ft that PO Box is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i think thats were they post the bill and thats it

yeah, a po box isn't an address i can call around to and vent :-). I spoke to a techie in scotland and he's going to see if they are actually testing internet access in Ireland and if so if they need any help :-). No harm in trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Well, it might seem a little off-topic, but I managed to share my DSL connection with my 6680 across bluetooth. Nokia had previously decided / been told by the operators that they weren't to allow TCP/IP traffic to be transmitted via bluetooth's on some their handsets.

All so the operators could charge you an arm and a leg in GPRS and 3G data!

It was more out of curiosity than anything else. It's not really hugely useful cos of bluetooth's limited range except for checking things like teletext when I'm downstairs at the teletext-less TV or browsing the web in the jacks ;)

One thing it is good for, however, is updating the phone's applications using auto-updates, etc. So if you want to do that, you might check it out these links:

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~kinston/Bluetooth%20Internet.htm
    http://gnubox.dnsalias.org/gnubox/sharing.html
    http://gnubox.dnsalias.org/gnubox/
    http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/symbian/bt-ap.html

It's a little messy and can take some fidgeting, but if you're interested in it have a crack. And drop me a PM if you get stuck. Essentially, what Nokia did they stopped new Access Points being set up via the phone's UI. What I did was set up a bluetooth connection as an Access Point and emulating a serial port direct data cable connection to the PC, I enabled IP routing on my desktop and presto, Bob's rummaging around in your Aunt's closet while she's off in Marbella with the girls.

I'm with Vodafone. Never knew that about 3's limiting of net browsing. Pretty sucky, really.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info , its good to know that it is open to some form of hacking.

Advertisement