Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about transferring bb to BT..

• 30-01-2006 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Im transferring to BT from UTV.

What is the BT connection fee? Ive heard €50 but was told €20 today on the phone, even if i can supply my own modem.

Also do they bill 2 moths in advance? should i expect my first bill to be
    29.99(1st month) + 29.99(2nd month) + €20(connection fee)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Vox .. however vad you think your existing BB is .. don't touch BT.
    They couldn't get BB working I my house, and cancelled it. They agree that it was cancelled, BUT they continue to take money out of my bank account.

They are a crowd of thieves! Seriously ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Their billing system does leave a lot to be desired, but going on the reports about UTV here recently, I'd still say BT are better. Since BB is already working, there shouldn't be a problem in a bitstream transfer.

The connection fee seems to vary, but expect it on your first bill. They may not bill you for a month, so your first one could be one month broadband plus two months in advance plus the connection fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I'm in the process of changing from UTV to BT at the moment, I sent the forms off on the 7th of Jan but still no word from them as yet. I don't mind the wait because I had to give UTV a months notice...

I did get on to BT and they said they were waiting on Eircom and as soon as the switch the line I will get the BT modem in the post.

What I would like to know Myself is if I use my own wireless modem, do I have to pay the €50 installation??:confused:

I have no need for their modem so why should I have to pay for it??

I will keep You posted on My progress.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dubsmax wrote:
    I'm in the process of changing from UTV to BT at the moment, I sent the forms off on the 7th of Jan but still no word from them as yet. I don't mind the wait because I had to give UTV a months notice...
    If you have contacted UTV already to cancel then they may f**k things up for you. They can refuse to release the line until the 30 days notice is up. Did they issue a cancellation number and did you pass it onto BT. The DTAF form you sent in is all that is required to transfer. You should only have contacted UTV when you were live with BT.
    What I would like to know Myself is if I use my own wireless modem, do I have to pay the €50 installation??

I have no need for their modem so why should I have to pay for it??
    Yes you will have to pay the €50 connection fee and yes they will send you a modem. That is the current package you signed up for. From Feb 1st it's a free transfer if you have your own modem. BTW, the €50 is not really for the modem, it's what Eircom charge BT for doing the necessary work in the exchange.
    Keep ringing BT to keep them on their toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

bill prob will be...50 euro connection fee...50 euro DSL Self install charge (U have to pay this)..2*24 euro BB (they charged me 86) and dont forget VAT around 30-40 euro....
    So till all come to around 180 or so euros... Is it really worth changing?? All providers are fairly similar now..but BT are a disaster in terms of billing/lost applications and cust care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

bill prob will be...50 euro connection fee...50 euro DSL Self install charge (U have to pay this)..2*24 euro BB (they charged me 86) and dont forget VAT around 30-40 euro....
    So till all come to around 180 or so euros... Is it really worth changing?? All providers are fairly similar now..but BT are a disaster in terms of billing/lost applications and cust care.

Are you saying the connection fee is a differant thing to the self install charge? I thought they were 1 & the same?

The €50 connection fee and the €50 self install fee are one in the same. You don't pay both as you suggest. The charges on your first bill for the actual BB is for BB you will actually receive so where is the waste of money there?
    Also, all the providers are not "fairly similiar". In terms of packages and prices on offer, BT are by far the cheapest and have the best packages of all the Eircom resellers. So it is worth changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

From Feb 1st it's a free transfer if you have your own modem.

Kaizer, you mentioned that on another thread but I have scoured the BT site and cant find a reference to it.

Another "small" thing. I was wondering if I will have to return to Eircom (with UTV now for line & calls) for my calls before I can send the DTAF form to BT. The form you sent has Eircom mentioned on it. It would really shag things up if that's the case. I could find this out by ringing BT but you might have the answer before I get off "hold". :)

EDIT Got on straight away. I didn't realise that BT will transfer everything. To quote the guy at BT " You don't need to cancel your broadband with UTV. We will do all that". I will surely have to give my months notice. Of course I will (thinking out loud). But I wont do that 'till the line is changed over? Am I right? EDIT OVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I've just switched to BT from UTV. Long story short my UTV line wasn't working I wouldn't pay the bill. I got confirmation from BT to say my order was complete and now my BB is working away using the modem I got from UTV with BT's settings.

I've heard nothing from BT or UTV, still haven't received the modem from BT. As I assumed I'd hear from UTV wanting the modem back i got the modem from BT.

What should I do? Cancel the modem from BT or expect to have to send the old one back to UTV?

Should I contact UTV or as was said, will BT take care of all that?

What do you mean by your line wasn't working? Surely if it is working with BT it worked with UTV :confused:

• Advertisement

It wasn't working with UTV. I got a bill from them saying I owed like €60. Grand, paid that. Get one about 2 months later then saying I owed €500+. I wouldn't pay it so they obviously disconnected the line.

Now it's switched to BT it's working fine. :/

Valentia,
    It's in their press release.
    Today's announcement includes a series of product and price changes including:
    * Automatic upgrade of 1Mb customers to 2Mb for the same monthly rental
    * Automatic upgrade of 2Mb customers to 3Mb for the same monthly rental
    * Download limits will increase from 12GB to 20GB and from 24GB to 30GB
    * Introduction of a new 1Mb product at €20 per month (with online bill; €22.50 with paper bill)
    * Wireless modem upgrade for new and existing customers for €40
    * Free "transfer" connection for customers of other broadband providers who do not require BT to supply a broadband modem
    * Connection charge for all products reduced to €40 from €50
    * Discounted 'bundle' offers available across all three broadband products when ordered with landline including: *
    - 1Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €35 per month in total
    - 2Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €40 per month in total
    - 3Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €50 per month in total
    Link:https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/esat.portal?_nfpb=true&aboutUs_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FaboutUs%2FdisplayPressRelease&aboutUscontentNode=%2Fechannel%2Fpressreleases%2Fstories%2Fenglishrelease%2F1-2006%2FmediaPRJan2006.html&aboutUsbreadCrumb=January+2006&_windowLabel=aboutUs
    Don't cancel or contact UTV until you are live with BT. They will screw things up for you. Send in the DTAF and let BT take care of it.
    When you are live with BT, email admin@u.tv and cancel. The DTAF only authorises the BB transfer but it will not cancel your monthly subscription to UTV. Your email will take care of that and 30 days later it will be cancelled.
    The sting in the tail is you may get caught for an extra month payment to UTV but it's worth it to avoid the downtime.

It wasn't working with UTV. I got a bill from them saying I owed like €60. Grand

The full stop does wonders to that sentence :)

Thanks again Kaizersoze. I have it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I am currently with UTV, and was thinking of transferring to Smart (€35 for line rental & broadband, free modem, no download cap).

Am not too worried about the fact I'd have to change number by going to Smart, but am put off by the potential for significant broadband downtime (up to 5 weeks some people say?). (Not that I couldn't use that 5 weeks to go "find a life" away from the PC :) )

Now I'm considering Esat BT (€40 connection fee, €40 for line rental & broadband, free modem, 20GB cap) since I understand the changeover should be less painful and it's only €5 extra per month, plus the €40 connection fee.

Any advice which way to go? Should I risk Smart or play it safe(r) with BT?

Stop the fnckin' press!!!

My wife just rang me and said a bill has come from BT for €280!!!
    I can't remember all the details cos I'm in shock here. Self install is something like €80!!!

Call charges are going back to NOVEMBER!!! I only signed up at the end of DECEMBER!!! And the order was only confirmed two weeks ago. The phone line has been down the last couple of days I assumed because all the changeover was taking place. And now I'm hit with this!!!

This is a joke! I think I'll go back to eirCON just for the sake of it.

You got a bill from UTV for €500 and now a bill from BT even though you are only just with them. Are you sure you are not ringing the Caymen Islands and leaving the phone off the hook???

Well i did used to leave the phone on the pillow when I was going asleep, I just find that accent so soothing! :)

I'm gonna start carrying a jar of vaseline when dealing with any of these companies!

Apparently it was a mistake. They sent a double bill. Even though I've only been with them a forthnight. :confused:

AND, they don't don't think they can stop the direct debit for that amount!!! Well they'll be in for a shock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

They did that to me too Ay Cee. Twice! The first time they tried charging me for a 3-4 week period where I wasn't connected to BB at all, then the second bill they just popped an extra €104 onto it "by mistake".

I've been with them about 10 months and they are still screwing me around at times (they messed up the direct debit meaning I twice got a letter saying I'd be disconnected due to late payment). Last night I arrived home to find the phone line dead. I've now been on hold for an hour waiting to find out did they disconnect me (even though all bills are paid and up to date), or is it a physical fault on the line.

The saga continues. Sorry I ever switched tbh.

Advertisement