Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Dishes

• 30-01-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to a good website, or give me some good mexican recipes?? I know i can buy the packs of enchilada’s, fajitas, burritos, but along with that what other little dishes could i russle up??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

in the mexican in town they usually serve up rice and tortilla chips with refried bean paste on teh side of dishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 milkytigerrr

I spent last summer travelling about Mexico. The weirdest thing I ate was a cactus salad... and that was tame! There was also cactus milk being sold by old men out of jugs held by donkeys. You could only get it at a certain time each morning on the town square.
    They really like their roast chicken there and a great dish is mole with chicken. This is a chocolate based sauce with some chicken legs, the ubiquitous rice and little warmed tacos (what we call wraps, but smaller). The tacos can be flour based or corn based depending on preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Lidl do a frozen bag of mexican style veg that I always have in the freezer in case I want to make a chili or anything, it has all the right veg in one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Refried Beans.

100g Chorizo , fine dice.
    20g lard or oil if you haven't got lard
    100g onion fine dice
    2 cans red kidney beans with liquid
    50g grated cheese
    Tomato paste concentrate 1/4 can

Sauté onion in lard/oil for 3 minutes or until soft.
    Add chorizo and cook until the onion colours with the chorizo.
    Add the 2 cans of beans and mash or alternatively process in the mixer until smooth, I always leave 1/2 can whole for interest.
    Add tomato paste
    mix the whole lot up and keep mixing until the mixture thickens a bit.
    stir in the cheese and serve with tortillas or as a kind of dip.
    I find this best in a non stick pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Salcita di jitomate (raw tomato sauce)

8 fresh tomatoes, finelly chopped
    I onion, finely chopped
    fresh coriander (to taste)
    2 chillis, finely chopped
    salt and pepper
    Juice of lime or lemon
    Combine all of the above for 20 minutes and leave flavours to blend.

For Guacamole add the chopped flesh of advocado to the above and some garlic if you like. To stop the advocado going brown put the stone in with it and keep the bowl covered until serving.

Some people then whiz this in a blender to make a paste but I prefer it the way it is above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

The avocado stone theory is a myth. The only reason it partially works is that it prevents the air form oxidising the part the stone is physically covering alone. To prevent guacamole from browning, cover with lime juice, then press a layer of clingfilm over the top.

Advertisement