Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S3 back in the graphics market...?

Options
  • 30-01-2006 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/s3-chrome-s27.html

Interesting. I know it's a month or two old, but didn't hear it before. Apparently this could be a very cheap card and performance wise it's similar to a 6600....for those upgrading an older pc it's pretty easy on power as well (apparently)

And...the best bit.....700mhz gpu! That's faster then a 6800!

I remember back in the day, having some old s3 savage card....thought it was the bee knee's running UT on 1024 x768 with detail on high :D But after that one, was never able to see any S3 graphics cards on the market, didn't even have them as an option...that's when I switched to nvidia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There selling these at Newegg in the US now so they are at least making a bit of progress back into the market which has become a little tiresome with the two horse race between the red and green teams. Despite the high clocks performance isn’t in the high end it’s firmly in the mid range were these are targeted.

But they still have lot to do the cards are SM 2.0 when both vendors are shipping SM 3.0 hardware which isn’t too big of a deal but still why settle for product x when product y has SM 3.0 but I recall S3 mentioning that they are skipping SM 3.0 and going straight to SM 4.0 DirectX-10 hardware so I hope they can pull it off and surprise ATI & NV by being first out with such a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In lower-midrange, it doesn't truly matter if hardware is SM3 or SM2 -- it'll struggle regardless!

As for the "2-horse race" -- I still find it interesting (especially when older cards still beat new guns)

Advertisement