Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

migrant EU workers entitled to child payment

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

MrPudding wrote:
    At the moment there are 300 non-nationals claiming CB.
    MrP

Where did you get the figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Where did you get the figure?
    Apparently this figure came from the minister himself. I heard it on the radio quoted by someone in the oposition. Sorry for the vaguness but I can't remember the names.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This figure (300) would mean that it would only cost about€300,000. I am begining to lose my pathience with those FG liers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Did you mean 1.5 or 15? 1.5 is not too long for the country. Don't forget its harder to more from Japan to America than from Estonia to Ireland

You are talking about logistics only, surely?

Because not so at all when you compare relative cost of living in each country: Japan's cost of living is close to an order of magnitude higher than in the US (so moving JP>US is no real hardship), whereas the reverse is true for moving from Estonia to Ireland - and I'd actually expect the differential to be an order of magnitude in that case... I moved to Dublin from the North of England in late 2004 (with wife and infant), and I can promise you that it's been a huge slap/reality check for the first few months. And I wasn't on a low wage in UK, nor am I here, so God knows what it must be like for an Estonian who's not a GP or dentist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ambro25 wrote:
    You are talking about logistics only, surely?

Logistics is only one part of it. For starters apart from trying to find a new school you have to factor in what the rest of the family is doing. For example maybe the wife has a job and can't leave it. Will moving the whole family support the family or are you moving into a poverty trap?

Also while when you move into a job you meet people you can interact with, your spouse will be in a country where they may not be able to work so won't find outlets in order to interact with people (schools help). That can be huge deal in moving and can break up families in some cases.

Your children are then in a new culture/school where language may be an issue as well as culture.

If your planning for the long term to stay in Ireland, then yea I can see people moving here but if they are planning to work a couple of years and go back then uprooting your whole family might be a bigger issue. Especially when it is only a couple of hours to fly back to the EU country you came from if needs be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement